2012-2013 half fast temp test results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pell it

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Rhode Island
2012-2013 Heating Season Convection Temps for Various Pellet Brands

Please take with a grain of salt as your mileage may vary. Unless otherwise noted, all temps taken on a clean stove set to #3 of 5. Stove has no provisions for feed trim or combustion air trim at that setting. Stove does have a half fast damper, but no adjustments were made.

Temperatures were read with an ultra precision $5.00 Harbor Freight instant read thermometer mounted 1 inch out from the lower left center heat exchanger tube.
Reading were taken after a minimum 1 hour run at setting #3 with most being an average of many reading including overnight at setting #3. (not a clean stove at that point, but started out as one)

Heat output with this US Stove 5660 is all about pellet size, length, and density.

Please keep the floggings to a minimum as this was all done for fun!
Temperatures are in degrees Fahrenheit.

Barefoot 255-260
TSC Bedding 250-260
Okies 240-250
Fireside Ultra 245-250
Greene Team 235-240
Somerset 230-235
Blazers 225-235
Timber Heat 220-225
Green Supreme 215-220
MWP 205-210
Northeast 195-205

Footnotes:
Blazers and MWP spent the summer absorbing humidity in my shed
Only had two bags each of Okies and Somerset
Only one bag of TSC Bedding lots of ash!

Nice, Thanks for sharing. I was impressed with the Fireside Ultra's when I tried some last fall. Good bang for the buck pellet IMHO.

Like to see what you get if you found some Pres-to-logs? They are pretty hot this season too.

Have not seen any Prestos this year. HD had them last year about this time of year, last I checked, all Green Supreme.

I did not keep track of length of burn per bag, but with my stove it's all about size that's way Blazers are not higher on the list.

Thanks for the report..

Udaman!

Thanks. I was really impressed with the 4 bags of barefoot I burnt this year and your numbers look simar to what I observed with these pellets.

Thanks for taking the time to compile this, and thanks for sharing with us. :)

thanks pell it , i thought the Blazers would rate higher. never tried them
maybe the shed affected them dunno

In the batch of Blazers I have, the majority are three quarters to one inch long. My stove just can't get enough in the burn pot per rev of the auger.(no feed trim) I still get plenty of heat with a long burn time and almost zero ash!

Status
Not open for further replies.