1. BKprincess101

BKprincess101
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 10, 2019
    Loc:
    North East PA
    Hey Everyone,

Im able to get a good deal on a brand new floor model Blaze king princess ultra with heat shields and fan kit. But the stove was manufactured in 2012 My questions are, has the stove changed much through the years? Is the efficiency,Emissions,Cat, the same? Would I be missing out on anything?

Any advice would be helpful

2. BKprincess101

BKprincess101
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 10, 2019
    Loc:
    North East PA
    Picture of it from today

Attached Files:

3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The price should be good recognizing that the dealer paid much less for it in 2012. If so, go for it. There have not been major changes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    I own a 2012 ultra model princess. The only thing that changed is the door latch. The 2012 has a nut welded inside the box and a locknut on the outside so you can only tighten the latch by turning the entire hook one full turn at a time . The new latch uses two loose nuts so you don’t have to worry about thread seizure and you can tighten as much or as little as you want. They also changed the shape of the hook from round to flat on the new models.

The 2012 model’s owners manual required 12’ of chimney but the newest model requires 15’ for some reason. I doubt it was due to anything more than complaints of smoke spillage but don’t know for sure.

Finally, and bkvp will love this, the 2012 bypass retainers were welded in such a way that they were more prone to failure from heat. The newer models received a different welding installation that was meant to reduce the chance of failure of these retainers. Mine failed and I’m a stove nerd! A bottle jack inside got mine repaired without cutting and welding.

So a couple changes but none so dramatic that I wouldn’t want the 2012 model.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    begreen likes this.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    This stove is too dirty for 2020 so new ones won’t be made for long. Get a good price!

The replacement 2020 model looks to be extremely clean burning with better specs for burn rate too. Might want to wait for it if the 2012 deal isn’t great.

6. BKprincess101

BKprincess101
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 10, 2019
    Loc:
    North East PA
    Thank you everyone for replies. I pulled the trigger on the stove! I picked it up today for $1700, I think that was a deal? Does everyone think I paid a good price? I’m very happy with and it seems to be extremely clean.

fespo and lsucet like this.
  7. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, that is a great price for a Princess Ultra with fan kit, congrats.

lsucet and Highbeam like this.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    That’s half what I paid for a new one in 2012. You did well.

9. BKVP

BKVP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Very few Princess or for that matter Blaze King stove have had issues with retainers. We processed about 12 replacement part orders for all models combined since 2008. Just looked it up.

10. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Yeah, you didn’t replace my melted retainers either though I’m sure you would have if I asked. Seems like, as with the ashford smoke smell, you only really find out about a portion of the cases. The important thing is that you’ve made improvements to prevent more cases.

Woody Stover likes this.