2012 Floor model Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKprincess101

May 10, 2019
North East PA
Hey Everyone,

Im able to get a good deal on a brand new floor model Blaze king princess ultra with heat shields and fan kit. But the stove was manufactured in 2012 My questions are, has the stove changed much through the years? Is the efficiency,Emissions,Cat, the same? Would I be missing out on anything?

Any advice would be helpful

Picture of it from today

Attachments

• E6357839-D7A1-47B0-9048-5001F89E4541.jpeg
    E6357839-D7A1-47B0-9048-5001F89E4541.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 238
The price should be good recognizing that the dealer paid much less for it in 2012. If so, go for it. There have not been major changes.

I own a 2012 ultra model princess. The only thing that changed is the door latch. The 2012 has a nut welded inside the box and a locknut on the outside so you can only tighten the latch by turning the entire hook one full turn at a time . The new latch uses two loose nuts so you don’t have to worry about thread seizure and you can tighten as much or as little as you want. They also changed the shape of the hook from round to flat on the new models.

The 2012 model’s owners manual required 12’ of chimney but the newest model requires 15’ for some reason. I doubt it was due to anything more than complaints of smoke spillage but don’t know for sure.

Finally, and bkvp will love this, the 2012 bypass retainers were welded in such a way that they were more prone to failure from heat. The newer models received a different welding installation that was meant to reduce the chance of failure of these retainers. Mine failed and I’m a stove nerd! A bottle jack inside got mine repaired without cutting and welding.

So a couple changes but none so dramatic that I wouldn’t want the 2012 model.

Reactions: begreen
This stove is too dirty for 2020 so new ones won’t be made for long. Get a good price!

The replacement 2020 model looks to be extremely clean burning with better specs for burn rate too. Might want to wait for it if the 2012 deal isn’t great.

Thank you everyone for replies. I pulled the trigger on the stove! I picked it up today for $1700, I think that was a deal? Does everyone think I paid a good price? I’m very happy with and it seems to be extremely clean.

Reactions: fespo and lsucet
Thank you everyone for replies. I pulled the trigger on the stove! I picked it up today for $1700, I think that was a deal? Does everyone think I paid a good price? I’m very happy with and it seems to be extremely clean.
Yes, that is a great price for a Princess Ultra with fan kit, congrats.

Reactions: lsucet and Highbeam

That’s half what I paid for a new one in 2012. You did well.

I own a 2012 ultra model princess. The only thing that changed is the door latch. The 2012 has a nut welded inside the box and a locknut on the outside so you can only tighten the latch by turning the entire hook one full turn at a time . The new latch uses two loose nuts so you don’t have to worry about thread seizure and you can tighten as much or as little as you want. They also changed the shape of the hook from round to flat on the new models.

The 2012 model’s owners manual required 12’ of chimney but the newest model requires 15’ for some reason. I doubt it was due to anything more than complaints of smoke spillage but don’t know for sure.

Finally, and bkvp will love this, the 2012 bypass retainers were welded in such a way that they were more prone to failure from heat. The newer models received a different welding installation that was meant to reduce the chance of failure of these retainers. Mine failed and I’m a stove nerd! A bottle jack inside got mine repaired without cutting and welding.

So a couple changes but none so dramatic that I wouldn’t want the 2012 model.
Very few Princess or for that matter Blaze King stove have had issues with retainers. We processed about 12 replacement part orders for all models combined since 2008. Just looked it up.

Very few Princess or for that matter Blaze King stove have had issues with retainers. We processed about 12 replacement part orders for all models combined since 2008. Just looked it up.

Yeah, you didn’t replace my melted retainers either though I’m sure you would have if I asked. Seems like, as with the ashford smoke smell, you only really find out about a portion of the cases. The important thing is that you’ve made improvements to prevent more cases.

Reactions: Woody Stover