2012 Quad Mt Vernon control board burnt up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattyC70

Mar 11, 2022
Maine, USA
Greetings,
I am cautiously proceeding with recommissioning my mother in laws AE freestanding pellet stove after the control board burnt up right where the ac connector plugs into the control board. Looking around all signs seemed to point to a igniter failure. Unfortunately I find it tests good , 45 ohms. It was also equipped with the dual inline fuses and those and the main 15 amp control board fuse were intact. I also benched it with a AC pigtail and it heats fine and doesn’t ohm out any different when it’s been heated up. The exterior of the element and wiring are unremarkable as well.
I’m a root cause guy. I have installed a new control board with leads, power supply, heating element with full fused harness etc. I can’t get myself to plug it into the wall and give it a go without a idea that I have turned over every stone. I even have a new exhaust motor coming as it’s the only thing I can think of that might draw enough power if locked to cause issues.
All the wiring looks good..no chaffed or shorted stuff that I can see.
So figured I would air this out and see if the collective brain trust has any ideas,
I know that board might have just packed itself up after 10 years. $900 dollars deep I want to be super careful. Any iseas yiu might have I’d be glad to listen. Thanks, Matt

CE465FB8-5A9B-4681-AA69-7C6EDBB7DBF6.jpeg

Well,I would have tested everything before even buying any parts, other than a new board. TheAE repair manual is available online.

The T7CS5D-12 is a relay. Don't know the board but it could be that that relay controls sending power to the igniter and it failed cause the board to fry cause it looks pretty cooked under it.
Ya gotta try it someday, start it up, ANY smell, smoke, etc, yank the plug.

sam

I tested what I could with what I have. From experience many electrical components bench ok but when you bring them online, create heat funny things happen.
If I had megger at my disposal I would have more comfort level with a few of the parts.
Also it’s not mine. I work and have a limited window of time to invest in it.