2017/2018 VC owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I completly forgot that the explorer 3 was a top loader.

Too much mechanism on top to swing out to load. The 2 Flexburns are straight and open top loads. But the Explorer 3 is not too bad a looker for TWT.

Cast,

How is your wood supply? VC will make you hate it with sub par wood supply......!

Too much mechanism on top to swing out to load. The 2 Flexburns are straight and open top loads. But the Explorer 3 is not too bad a looker for TWT.
You may think it is to much mechanism but it holds up much better than the internals of even the new vc stoves

Cast,

How is your wood supply? VC will make you hate it with sub par wood supply......!

Not bad. Plenty stored from years past, well dry hardwoods.

You may think it is to much mechanism but it holds up much better than the internals of even the new vc stoves

What specific parts fail in the Flexburn stoves that you have had to fix in the past few years ? They say in their legalistic warranty that most parts will be replaced for some years. Dealers say only the refractory cover has had to be replaced since some drop frozen splits in.
I didn't like the flip away tubes in the top loading Quadra....smallish space for splits, kind of cute design, looks like it's waiting to fail.
Thanks.

Not bad. Plenty stored from years past, well dry hardwoods.

What specific parts fail in the Flexburn stoves that you have had to fix in the past few years ? They say in their legalistic warranty that most parts will be replaced for some years. Dealers say only the refractory cover has had to be replaced since some drop frozen splits in.
I didn't like the flip away tubes in the top loading Quadra....smallish space for splits, kind of cute design, looks like it's waiting to fail.
Thanks.
I have replaced just about each internal part atleast once on various stoves and most were not covered under warantee because it was deemed to be caused by abuse. I dont know exactly what parts were replaced when and i dont care enough to spend the time to look it up. I work on hundreds of stoves a year i dont remember all the details of each repair. You obviously already have you mind set on a new vc so good luck to you. You will need it.

And look at the reveiws of the quads they have very few complaints about durability. And i have never had to do anything to any of the isleroyals we work on other than normal maintenance stuff. I really have no input on the explorer 3 i have yet to run into one in the feild.

No "made up mind" or there would not be this request to Flexburn owners. My research is damn intense getting the service manual (tough going BTW), calling dealers, stopping in dealer's shops and Woodstock's factory, and calling some. Anyone would do the same "due diligence" with saws, firearms, vehicles,, anything.
But hearthnet has the most experts on stoves and using them. Hours on early posts and accounts on hearthnet about VC history and stoves before posting.
So, has this version of VC turned the corner on quality, reliability, and service with the newer Flexburn models ? That's the question to owners.
I have said what we want and need; no need to repeat. Decisions are based on intelligence not old info or hearsay.;ex
Thanks.

I always wandered about the cat size in the new VCs. It is 1/2 the size of the older model VCs. It has to work twice the amount to burn all the smoke in the firebox. Does that mean it has 1/2 the life span?

Reactions: Cast Iron
I always wandered about the cat size in the new VCs. It is 1/2 the size of the older model VCs. It has to work twice the amount to burn all the smoke in the firebox. Does that mean it has 1/2 the life span?

Good thot. The VC warranty for this 1/2 cat is 3 years, more than 12,000 hours usual for your thicker cat. Their warranty is in the manual. Big change from earlier VC and most stoves.

Good thot. The VC warranty for this 1/2 cat is 3 years, more than 12,000 hours usual for your thicker cat. Their warranty is in the manual. Big change from earlier VC and most stoves.
Ok that covers the first one if you can get them to honor it. Hht is not that easy to deal with on warrranty claims. They are better than the old vc but not great.

Oh and regencys cats are covered for 3 years and prorated up to 6. Blaze kings is prorated up to 6 years. Woodstocks is 3 years so the warranty on vc cats is less than most.

Last edited:
For what it's worth Cast Iron, the newest version of the Defiant and Encore, the "Flex Burn" is better than any of the other catalytic or non-cat versions . The refractory is more durable and catalyst is easier to access and maintain. People have had better success when using a probe thermometer I guess, and the important thing is to keep the operating temp. where it should be. I would consider the idwea of the larger stove (Defiant) which won't have to stress itself heating the house over the Encore which may need to run hotter? In the old days it was advantageous to run a smaller stove hotter, but not any more!

Got a call from HHT the other day as result of a comment card I filled out that came with the stove and sent in noting a very ill fitting access panel that practically falls into the stove. Sent it to the address in Bethel VT that was on the card and came back no such address. Then sent it to their corporate office in Minnesota. On they're voice mail said to call them with a claim number they gave. Have not been able to call them back yet but it looks like they want to know what's going on here and resolve it. Kevin

For what it's worth Cast Iron, the newest version of the Defiant and Encore, the "Flex Burn" is better than any of the other catalytic or non-cat versions . The refractory is more durable and catalyst is easier to access and maintain. People have had better success when using a probe thermometer I guess, and the important thing is to keep the operating temp. where it should be. I would consider the idwea of the larger stove (Defiant) which won't have to stress itself heating the house over the Encore which may need to run hotter? In the old days it was advantageous to run a smaller stove hotter, but not any more!

That is what I get also. But a lot more from the company and dealers (4):

1.Fast response to warranty claims from HHT/VC.One dealer said all they have to do is send a pic of the part ( usually access panel cracked or cat ). The new part comes within a week.
2. Hardened, durable refractory.
3. Dual EPA design to run as a non cat. Simple design for the owner to remove the cat IF they want.
4. I pushed for the service manual ( well done BTW ) to see the actual potential problems and construction. Many changes.
5. No rear secondary air control to break.
6. Better ash door latch.
7. Standard heat shields bottom and rear.
8. Standard cat probe with the stove (altho a pain in the a__ to read on the lower rear ). Advice here says to get an Auber.
and...
9. "Limited Lifetime Warranty" ( complete for anyone to see in the Owners Manual ) which is not too bad compared to most other makers.

The specs as ordered by my boss ( Bholler read above please ! ) will not permit a wood stove that is not pretty ( Regency ), is not top laoding, and has a nice enamel color ( she demands "Twilight", not a white, not brown ). Like BK stoves this Flexburn has thermostatic primary air which I want.( I have some authority here authorized ()) .
OK, so the damper control is kind of clutzy, agreed. I can live with that with all of the other mandatory specs mentioned.
The VC Service Manual is well done. Not easy to get unless you push hard and whine and repeat.

Got a call from HHT the other day as result of a comment card I filled out that came with the stove and sent in noting a very ill fitting access panel that practically falls into the stove. Sent it to the address in Bethel VT that was on the card and came back no such address. Then sent it to their corporate office in Minnesota. On they're voice mail said to call them with a claim number they gave. Have not been able to call them back yet but it looks like they want to know what's going on here and resolve it. Kevin

Why didn't you contact your dealer ?

That is what I get also. But a lot more from the company and dealers (4):

1.Fast response to warranty claims from HHT/VC.One dealer said all they have to do is send a pic of the part ( usually access panel cracked or cat ). The new part comes within a week.
2. Hardened, durable refractory.
3. Dual EPA design to run as a non cat. Simple design for the owner to remove the cat IF they want.
4. I pushed for the service manual ( well done BTW ) to see the actual potential problems and construction. Many changes.
5. No rear secondary air control to break.
6. Better ash door latch.
7. Standard heat shields bottom and rear.
8. Standard cat probe with the stove (altho a pain in the a__ to read on the lower rear ). Advice here says to get an Auber.
and...
9. "Limited Lifetime Warranty" ( complete for anyone to see in the Owners Manual ) which is not too bad compared to most other makers.

The specs as ordered by my boss ( Bholler read above please ! ) will not permit a wood stove that is not pretty ( Regency ), is not top laoding, and has a nice enamel color ( she demands "Twilight", not a white, not brown ). Like BK stoves this Flexburn has thermostatic primary air which I want.( I have some authority here authorized ()) .
OK, so the damper control is kind of clutzy, agreed. I can live with that with all of the other mandatory specs mentioned.
The VC Service Manual is well done. Not easy to get unless you push hard and whine and repeat.

Yes i read those requirements and they are tailor made for the vc. Which is why i said it is clear your mind is made up.

As far as the improvements listed yes they are true. And yes they are improvements as i said before. But again they still fall far behind most other stoves when it comes to durability and ease of operation.

You need to realize you are going by the marketing material and the word of tge dealer who are trying to sell you a stove. If you d ont want to trust the word of people who have nothing to gain or loose in this transaction but who work on these stoves that is your prerogative. So again good luck i hope it works out for you

It looks like your mind is made up! Welcome to VC family. Every stove has a learning curve.....VCs is perhaps a bit longer.

Very good point above regarding getting the bigger Defiant vs the small Encore. I second that.

Reactions: bholler
Why didn't you contact your dealer ?
I went back to the dealer after installing the stove to see what he had to say about the access panel not fitting right, or in my mind was not right, but what did I know. Dealer said as long has it didn't actually fall into the stove it should still function okay. I took that to mean did not qualify for a warranty claim. The gap at top was not considered an issue by him. This still didn't seem right as a brochure show all the smoke and gas travel up underneath the access panel then in a 'U' back down through the catalyst. He said if it actually won't stay upright and falls on the grate then by all means bring it back and it will be replaced, no problems. The stove still seems to function okay that way has he says but I feel it still isn't probably as efficient this way as it should be. He did say that there was a re-design back in 16' with making the panel thicker (which is the panel I had) has folks were dropping big pieces in there hitting and breaking the panel being apparently too thin. I went ahead and ordered a newer panel anyway just to see if there is no another difference. The new one arrived the other day and it does look different in that there may be an additional area at the bottom to make up for it being too short, maybe. I haven't fit it in there yet because I haven't had a warm day to shut the stove down yet. 14'' snow a few days ago. So that's the long and short of it. I've learned a lot with this stove and as has been said this catalytic stoves are not your father's stove and run completely different. I huge learning curve for me, but I got it down now. Kevin

Holler: what is a "prerogative" ? :rolleyes:

The spell police have struck !

The spell police have struck !
Yes in this case you tried to be the spelling police but you were wrong. Honestly my spelling is horrible so the spelling police could usually have a field day with me. But not this time lol.

Every forum has them.
Bholler got his point across, the spelling is secondary.

Every forum has them.
Bholler got his point across, the spelling is secondary.
Thanks but for once i was right. I dont get that very often when called out for spelling mistakes.:)

Thanks but for once i was right. I dont get that very often when called out for spelling mistakes.:)

English (American) grammar is complicated......
So are the VC stoves.....of you all get my drift.

English (American) grammar is complicated......
So are the VC stoves.....of you all get my drift.
Yeah i wasnt saying anything critical of your post at all. And honestly i am happy to see vc starting to make improvements i hope they continue to improve so they can regain their reputation.

Another thing to think about cast iron. How handy are you? With the learning curve that is is going to happen and the maintenance that these VC stoves require are you planning on doing this your self or are you going to hire it out? I’m not making assumptions so don’t take it personal just some people can spin a wrench and some can’t. VC stoves are not stoves for those who can’t.