2019/20 VC Owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday night n Saturday night definitely look cold enough! But then back to normal. Hmmmmm... that first fire can’t wait.

Looks like cool nighttime temps will be in New England by Friday night.
41 degrees last night, it's going to bounce around for a while. With new (2020) T6 I'd actually like for it to get cold enough for a couple test/burn in fires. But, at 41 it was still 72 in the house with no heat,so we'll have to wait.

41 degrees last night, it's going to bounce around for a while. With new (2020) T6 I'd actually like for it to get cold enough for a couple test/burn in fires. But, at 41 it was still 72 in the house with no heat,so we'll have to wait.
Yeah, I have had a couple of small fires, but won't be burning regularly until the daytime temps drop into the 40s. Sunny days warm up the house pretty quickly and the heat pump is cleaner and more efficient.

Reactions: swestall
Reactions: Woody Stover
I bought a new refractory box for my Winterwarm Small. When I removed the old box I saw that there is a secondary air probe (thermostat) sticking into the stove from the back. In order to get my new box in I would have to pierce a hole in it. I am reluctant to do that, as I don't even know if the thermostat still works. So, a few questions...
1.) Is there any way to test the thermostat to see if it still works? I can see the small 'door' that the thermostat would close if it was working.
2.) If I cut this thing off, does it even matter?
3.) If I were to cut it off, should I close off the small door and just adjust the air on my own with the main air control?
Before you suggest pulling the unit and replacing the thermostat from the back, I'm reluctant to disconnect the chimney to pull the unit out. I've looked into getting a tech over here to do that and it gets into costing more than this thing is worth...
Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Im doing gaskets on the stove.. i got this from midway hearth. Is there a better set than this or is this a good set. Im not sure. Its the mh 3419. Im burning the vc 2 in 1 2040..

20191004_170054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First night I stuffed the stove before bed and it kept the whole house warm all night, 8.5 hours later temp was over 200 degrees and had enough coals to start up a morning fire. Never had anything close with the old stove. So far, impressed with the Encore. The only negative I’ve seen thus far is aesthetic, the lack of ‘fire show’ when the cat is engaged. Though, the more i see the hot ember glow and whisps of fire, the more I appreciate it over the exuberant roar of the old Jøtul #8.

First night I stuffed the stove before bed and it kept the whole house warm all night, 8.5 hours later temp was over 200 degrees and had enough coals to start up a morning fire. Never had anything close with the old stove. So far, impressed with the Encore. The only negative I’ve seen thus far is aesthetic, the lack of ‘fire show’ when the cat is engaged. Though, the more i see the hot ember glow and whisps of fire, the more I appreciate it over the exuberant roar of the old Jøtul #8.
8.5h is a good burn. You should average between 7 and 10 hours depending on the wood type, weather and how you filled the firebox.

What model Encore do you have

Montpelier owner checking in. Had quite a few fires already this year....2nd year burning and I can dial my fire in much better and more quickly now. Learned to be a bit more patient with the air controls...last year I kept turning down a little too quickly.

Just thought I'd say hi. Hope to see more Montpelier or Merrimack owners come visit this thread

Reactions: Turfguy and Diabel
8.5h is a good burn. You should average between 7 and 10 hours depending on the wood type, weather and how you filled the firebox.
Good to know, Diabel. I think the big splits of oak are helping my cause.

Reactions: alivegas99
Apparently i forgot to empty the stove this spring. Opened it up to prep for the snow tomorrow and found 2 half burnt logs about 10" of ash. I checked the chimney and it was as clean. I remember cleaning it, but must not have actually pulled the ash out.

Ive got a load of pine and elm ready for tomorrow night.

A note to all VC owners, all parts from VC are stocked and shipped from their headquarters in PA now. No more third party distributors. Found this out a few weeks ago or so when I ordered a Encore part and it didn't come in. Dealer found out from the third party that VC cut they're ties with them and will sell and distribute them themselves. So if your waiting for a part and it's taking a while, this may be the reason.

Auber is up and running! Looks like I’m cruising at about 1,100 on the Cat and 600 in the fire box. I know it can vary with airflow, split size, outside air temp, etc.... but what are the temps you folks are typically trying to get out of yours?

Attachments

• 043C1C51-2A23-448B-8050-DCACC327A068.jpeg
    043C1C51-2A23-448B-8050-DCACC327A068.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 180
Auber is up and running! Looks like I’m cruising at about 1,100 on the Cat and 600 in the fire box. I know it can vary with airflow, split size, outside air temp, etc.... but what are the temps you folks are typically trying to get out of yours?
That sounds perfect

Reactions: alivegas99

Attachments

• 20191009_221846.jpg
    20191009_221846.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 180
I did some gaskets over the weekend and did a test fire Saturday night.. small nothi g big, with the windows open. Wif left the windows open by accident... or did she... i lit the stove as it was 64 in the house when i got home.. did a real fire.. felt good

20191009_183112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
New Intrepid Flex Burn update: Breakin fires completed. Second real fires and it It's performing well. Yet to install an OAK but that will be in about three weeks or so. I believe that the 6-8 hour burn can be realized as advertised. One thing for sure you must have the three inch coal bed as said in the manual before you engage the secondaries. Short of that three inches you'll struggle with it at least to some degree. Oh and no puff backing, at least not yet. Out side temp around 50. 22' masonry chimney with 6" stainless steel flex liner. So far so good.

New Intrepid Flex Burn update: Breakin fires completed. Second real fires and it It's performing well. Yet to install an OAK but that will be in about three weeks or so. I believe that the 6-8 hour burn can be realized as advertised. One thing for sure you must have the three inch coal bed as said in the manual before you engage the secondaries. Short of that three inches you'll struggle with it at least to some degree. Oh and no puff backing, at least not yet. Out side temp around 50. 22' masonry chimney with 6" stainless steel flex liner. So far so good.

Glad to hear the new stove is doing well. Did you sell the encore or trade it in on the new stove..

Did not sell the Encore yet. Had somebody at my former employer (I retired the beginning of this month) said was intrested a few weeks ago but think that fell through so will probably put it back on Craig's List for $850 as has been suggested here as a good selling price. Wifey wants it out of the garage and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.