2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You got our bk coal rakes made yet?
We are a little slammed here right now. Covid and now the tax credit, demand is unprecedented. I was hoping it would slow down a bit...no such luck. But I think I will get onto this is Feb or Mar....got to hope for some free time.

We are a little slammed here right now. Covid and now the tax credit, demand is unprecedented. I was hoping it would slow down a bit...no such luck. But I think I will get onto this is Feb or Mar....got to hope for some free time.
I'm only busting your chops, can only imagine what business is like, good for you guys though, and if you need a beta tester, im your guy.

Replaced the catalytic combustor in my Princess Insert this morning. The stove was installed in Nov. of 2017 so this is its 4th season of operation. We pretty much burn full time from Nov. through April. Figure not quite 3.5 seasons of use. I'll take that. Replacement went quite easy. The stove was burning through more wood and taking more air to keep the thermometer in the active range. It's only been a few hours, but I've got the tstat turned all the way down and the thermometer is deep into the active zone, even with the blower running.

On a side note, my wife ordered me a log splitter for xmas. Looking forward to not swinging a maul as much.

Ah nothing like a new cat, you go with steel?

Anyone have any idea when cats for Princess will be available?

Maybe he wants a ceramic one?
Edit: just checked on Midwest earth and both metal and ceramic are now available

Just curious, does anyone have a schematic of the airflow inside the BK stoves? From the outside, it looks like air is drawn in near the bottom of the back, then a duct leads the air upward into the stove (but directly where the flue connects, some kind of pre-warming feature?).
Besides that, it feels like the air is then directed forward in the firebox, towards the glass door, but it's really hard to see...

Just curious, does anyone have a schematic of the airflow inside the BK stoves? From the outside, it looks like air is drawn in near the bottom of the back, then a duct leads the air upward into the stove (but directly where the flue connects, some kind of pre-warming feature?).
Besides that, it feels like the air is then directed forward in the firebox, towards the glass door, but it's really hard to see...

Thank you very much. The tubes was what one cannot see from the outside or from within the firebox.
But it's interesting to see that the lever only blocks or unblocks the bypass. Somehow I had the impression that when the lever is forward, the bypass plate rotates to the front and the gasket then seals the cat exit. That does not seem to be the case (and would probably make the mechanical system too complex).

I’ve been trying a longer bake time to eliminate creosote in my 90’s. I believe it’s going to work but this 50 degree weather makes a 12 hour reload schedule a bit on the toasty side. I’ve got some bigger splits drying and hoping ready in a couple weeks to try for 24ish for this weather. Definitely keeping the glass cleaner!

Thank you very much. The tubes was what one cannot see from the outside or from within the firebox.
But it's interesting to see that the lever only blocks or unblocks the bypass. Somehow I had the impression that when the lever is forward, the bypass plate rotates to the front and the gasket then seals the cat exit. That does not seem to be the case (and would probably make the mechanical system too complex).

The tubes are very visible from inside the firebox. I rub the creosote flakes off of them occasionally.

So my small supply of dry wood is gone. Got probably 15 cords of logs laying around, but not dry. Anyway, power is out. We have to go to town anyway. Country store has NIEL logs. Figure I’ll get enough for a day or two. Can I load up those like normal firewood or do I have to use them differently?

Well, I have had ZERO luck with finding a place to buy parts. I can find fire bricks online, but I'm not able to see where they reference CK or KK and since my stove is heating my house, presently, I'm not exactly able to measure my bricks so that I can match my needed sizes to what I can find from online retailers. Sigh. I see nothing in my stove manual or paperwork that would help me select from the choices I can readily find.

Yes, agreed that it's lame that my dealer won't help me unless I get the service call, but that's the situation I'm in. I've had no luck so far with other dealers and have probably spent some 4 hours on this over the last 2 days.

Is there some other Ashford owner out there that happens to have the measurements for the bricks and can they point me accordingly? Otherwise, I'm probably going to have to let my stove cool down so I can measure. I'm not keen, actually, to start taking bricks out unless I have replacements on hand because I run the risk of damaging them to the point where I can't even use my stove.

Surely there is Blaze King dealer reading this that would ship me some parts?

Is there a problem using small pieces of plywood as kindling on a cold start?

I did this 3 or 4 times, pieces 1" or so wide, maybe 8" long, 3/8 thick. I didn't think about any glues or other matter that might bugger up the Cat.

If you have to ask, then why not err on the side of trying a few first. Not trying to stir the pot with you, I want you to be safe. When you buy the bio blocks grab some fire starter gel as well, and maybe a bag of hardwood lump charcoal to help with starting a fire...a few pieces at a time.

So my small supply of dry wood is gone. Got probably 15 cords of logs laying around, but not dry. Anyway, power is out. We have to go to town anyway. Country store has NIEL logs. Figure I’ll get enough for a day or two. Can I load up those like normal firewood or do I have to use them differently?

I have burned the NIELs in my blaze king. They work great. I've loaded as many as 7 at a time. Maybe 8. They don't take off and runaway on you in a BK like they do in a noncat that has surplus air available. I ran them with no other firewood, just straight NIELS and they work great. In your shoes I would use them as well. That said, you should always start small with three or four just to verify how they run in your stove and to give you confidence. I have seen people pack the firebox with these things.

I am also out of power. Storm blew through at midnight. No problem, genset running, stove hot, coffee hot, I had to straighten out some leyland cypress that got blown over a bit. 350k were without power in PSE's area alone.

Last edited:
Yup, out of power here too. All is good though. Probably drum up some tree work, then I have to decide if I want to make firewood or boards. Tough to saw a nice log into firewood dang it

Yup, out of power here too. All is good though. Probably drum up some tree work, then I have to decide if I want to make firewood or boards. Tough to saw a nice log into firewood dang it

Those big straight logs make the best BK fuel though. Easy to stack in the firebox like hot dogs. Also easy to stack in the stacks.

Those big straight logs make the best BK fuel though. Easy to stack in the firebox like hot dogs. Also easy to stack in the stacks.
It’s going to be tough. So easy and quick to firewood. So rewarding to make boards or slabs. I’ll try to get some pics either way. No clue how to make videos.

Once you have a coal bed established, toss in 2-3 logs and enjoy....

Reactions: AndrewU
Is there a problem using small pieces of plywood as kindling on a cold start?

I did this 3 or 4 times, pieces 1" or so wide, maybe 8" long, 3/8 thick. I didn't think about any glues or other matter that might bugger up the Cat.
Don't!

So my glass door was built-up with deposits from 4 months of running it on low and med. I had not even once cleaned the glass. I have been burning very large pieces of black locust. Bark is about 2" thick on all pieces with bark. Decided to dig into my pile and found a nice round of white fir. Split it down to 3" x 4" (approx.) pieces loaded on hot coals from Locust burn day before. Did a N/S & E/W alternating load. Set thermostat to highest setting. Last picture is the door this morning. One bad thing did transpire......house got to 88F! Thank goodness for windows!

First Pic.jpg Second Pic.jpg 3rd Pic.jpg 4th Pic.jpg

Last edited:
So my glass door was built-up with deposits from 4 months of running it on low and med. I had not even once cleaned the glass. I have been burning very large pieces of black locust. Bark is about 2" thick on all pieces with bark. Decided to dig into my pile and found a nice round of white fir. Split it down to 3" x 4" (approx.) pieces loaded on hot coals from Locust burn dat before. Did a N/S & E/W alternating load. Set thermostat to highest setting. Last picture in the door this morning. One bad thing did transpire......house got to 88F! Thank goodness for windows!
[/QUOTE lol, yesterday was rough. I spaced out and left my bypass open all day on super low. Tapped out on reloading, still some coals this am. Power was out, set off the smoke alarms. Glass looks good though

So my glass door was built-up with deposits from 4 months of running it on low and med. I had not even once cleaned the glass. I have been burning very large pieces of black locust. Bark is about 2" thick on all pieces with bark. Decided to dig into my pile and found a nice round of white fir. Split it down to 3" x 4" (approx.) pieces loaded on hot coals from Locust burn dat before. Did a N/S & E/W alternating load. Set thermostat to highest setting. Last picture in the door this morning. One bad thing did transpire......house got to 88F! Thank goodness for windows!

That is one thing I love about my BK... I can stick any kind of crazy load I want in there at any stage of the burn, put the air anywhere including wide open, and walk away knowing my house will still be there when I come back (assuming I have been taking care of my gaskets, anyway).

Also, did you switch back to wood this year? Thought you were doing mostly NEILs. (And is that still your decade-old cat, or has it been retired?)

Reactions: rdust
Status
Not open for further replies.