2020 EPA Certified Wood Stove Database

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Not trying to get in an argument here... but I'm fairly certain this is not true.

I am not in the pharmaceutical field, but I am in an R&D field. Pharmaceutical companies spend an ENORMOUS amount of money on R&D. I am green with envy when I look at how much they spend on R&D. They also spend an ENORMOUS amount of money on marketing, and there are some pharmaceutical companies that spend more on marketing than R&D. However, most do not.

Like I said, I'm not an expert in this area, but a quick google search showed me that what I had heard (I know a lot of people in research at Pfizer) seems to be correct.

I am not at all trying to defend big pharma here, or anything like that. Just wanted to address what seemed to me to be some misinformation.
I think current conditions would have a major influence on the split. Just think of the money poured into vaccines at this point.

Between 2008-2015, solid fuel manufacturers pumped money into R&D in order to meet compliance of the 2015 NSPS.

Then once that was satisfied, money shifts to marketing those products.

Reactions: Grizzerbear

illini81

Feeling the Heat
Apr 7, 2017
Southeastern CT
I think current conditions would have a major influence on the split. Just think of the money poured into vaccines at this point.

Between 2008-2015, solid fuel manufacturers pumped money into R&D in order to meet compliance of the 2015 NSPS.

Then once that was satisfied, money shifts to marketing those products.
Yes, R&D $$ is always going to fluctuate. But I promise you, if you do some research you will find that pharma is simply a field where tons of $$ gets spent on R&D. I don't understand enough about the field to know why, but I think in general it is a pretty competitive field which tends to result in R&D expenditures.

In comparison, I work in the Aerospace and Defense industry. In general, there is minimal competition in this field, and so companies are very hesitant to invest more than token amounts in R&D. Investing more than 5% of your revenues on R&D is very rare. Most Aerospace and Defense companies are closer to 2%.

Reactions: BKVP