2020 EPA Certified Wood Stove Database

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not trying to get in an argument here... but I'm fairly certain this is not true.

I am not in the pharmaceutical field, but I am in an R&D field. Pharmaceutical companies spend an ENORMOUS amount of money on R&D. I am green with envy when I look at how much they spend on R&D. They also spend an ENORMOUS amount of money on marketing, and there are some pharmaceutical companies that spend more on marketing than R&D. However, most do not.

Like I said, I'm not an expert in this area, but a quick google search showed me that what I had heard (I know a lot of people in research at Pfizer) seems to be correct.

I am not at all trying to defend big pharma here, or anything like that. Just wanted to address what seemed to me to be some misinformation.
I think current conditions would have a major influence on the split. Just think of the money poured into vaccines at this point.

Between 2008-2015, solid fuel manufacturers pumped money into R&D in order to meet compliance of the 2015 NSPS.

Then once that was satisfied, money shifts to marketing those products.

I think current conditions would have a major influence on the split. Just think of the money poured into vaccines at this point.

Between 2008-2015, solid fuel manufacturers pumped money into R&D in order to meet compliance of the 2015 NSPS.

Then once that was satisfied, money shifts to marketing those products.

Yes, R&D $$ is always going to fluctuate. But I promise you, if you do some research you will find that pharma is simply a field where tons of $$ gets spent on R&D. I don't understand enough about the field to know why, but I think in general it is a pretty competitive field which tends to result in R&D expenditures.

In comparison, I work in the Aerospace and Defense industry. In general, there is minimal competition in this field, and so companies are very hesitant to invest more than token amounts in R&D. Investing more than 5% of your revenues on R&D is very rare. Most Aerospace and Defense companies are closer to 2%.

Reactions: BKVP
Can't understand PE super 27 same emission as the last years model

I'm confused by what the "NSPS Compliance 2020" column versus the 26% tax credit. I keep seeing on this forum that the only ZC fireplace that the tax credit applies is the Montecito Estate yet there are several ZC fireplaces that have "Yes" in the "NSPS Compliance 2020" column. Do I take it there is a different list of appliances that meet the tax credit criteria? If the "NSPS Compliance 2020" column is does not indicate the tax credit, what does it mean?

I'm confused by what the "NSPS Compliance 2020" column versus the 26% tax credit. I keep seeing on this forum that the only ZC fireplace that the tax credit applies is the Montecito Estate yet there are several ZC fireplaces that have "Yes" in the "NSPS Compliance 2020" column. Do I take it there is a different list of appliances that meet the tax credit criteria? If the "NSPS Compliance 2020" column is does not indicate the tax credit, what does it mean?
Allow me to clarify. In order to sell a wood heater after May 15, 2020, the wood heater must be compliant with the New Source Performance Standards (NSPS). Then, if you have a wood heater that is NSPS compliant and also have a HHV efficiency of 75% or more, it qualifies for either the 25C Tax Credit or the 25D Tax Credit. The "D" expires 12/31/2022. This is 26% of all costs associated with a complete and safe installation. Beginning 1/1/2023, the 25C takes over. That is a 30% tax credit...but it has a cap of $2,000 whereas the 25D had no cap.

Allow me to clarify. In order to sell a wood heater after May 15, 2020, the wood heater must be compliant with the New Source Performance Standards (NSPS). Then, if you have a wood heater that is NSPS compliant and also have a HHV efficiency of 75% or more, it qualifies for either the 25C Tax Credit or the 25D Tax Credit. The "D" expires 12/31/2022. This is 26% of all costs associated with a complete and safe installation. Beginning 1/1/2023, the 25C takes over. That is a 30% tax credit...but it has a cap of $2,000 whereas the 25D had no cap.
Got it. So I have to filter the list to NSPS contains Yes AND HHV efficiency >= 75%. Thank you.

Reactions: BKVP