2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
That was the hardest I've laughed on a message board in a long time.

I believe it was pointdexter who came up with this strategy.

Reactions: MissMac

BKVP

Minister of Fire
That was the hardest I've laughed on a message board in a long time.
Just read the post from our friend in Fairbanks about wife attire. That will bust you up. You could also remove the thermostat knob, but that would be a pain to reinstall each time. Yup, let her win.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Does that suggest that the cat should have been a bit bigger in order to eat all that is generated when running fast? After all, pine and fir is a "staple" food for BKs in some places, so it's not an exception in its use...

I think it is possible and well documented that you can overwhelm the catalyst with certain fuels and certain burn rates. However, as BKVP has stated and supported with documentation, the huge majority of burners spend the huge majority of the time burning at low burn rates so there is probably a tipping point or trade off. Certainly in cost for a bigger cat but when tuning a stove to burn clean at high rates you might lose some abilities on the more important bottom end. Like a hot cam in a car engine has a crappy idle.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
I think it is possible and well documented that you can overwhelm the catalyst with certain fuels and certain burn rates. However, as BKVP has stated and supported with documentation, the huge majority of burners spend the huge majority of the time burning at low burn rates so there is probably a tipping point or trade off. Certainly in cost for a bigger cat but when tuning a stove to burn clean at high rates you might lose some abilities on the more important bottom end. Like a hot cam in a car engine has a crappy idle.

Most of those overwhelm situations are I think at low burn rates, generating lots of fuel, more than can be combusted.

I wonder if at the high rate end of the spectrum, the residence time of those gases inside the cat is not long enough for reaching a high fraction of cat-mediated oxidation of those gases. High rate is more flow, so things rush through the cat. - But indeed a thicker (longer channel, longer residence time) cat could be problematic at low rate/low draft situations.

sacountry

Aug 2, 2021
montana
Most of those overwhelm situations are I think at low burn rates, generating lots of fuel, more than can be combusted.

I wonder if at the high rate end of the spectrum, the residence time of those gases inside the cat is not long enough for reaching a high fraction of cat-mediated oxidation of those gases. High rate is more flow, so things rush through the cat. - But indeed a thicker (longer channel, longer residence time) cat could be problematic at low rate/low draft situations.
This is good. You guys are helping me wrap my mind around the science of the heat and flow rate specific to the cat. I struggle with the cam analogy because we aren't talking about moving parts which obviously wear from friction. I also struggle with gas moving too fast through cat as an area for failure.....certainly an area for reduced efficiency, but I don't understand how that could result in increased wear.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
We are speculating, having somewhat educated guesses... And analogies often work only up to a certain extent.