2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s basic thermodynamics. There is only so much energy in a lb of wood.

As I recall, you were short loading the princess.
I am trying to heat my house when the princess no longer maintains temperature in the house I put more wood in. Call it what ever you want.

What's all this 8-10 hour stuff...I get 12 hours on HIGH! (Oh yeah, mines bigger!) Stove KE40

The only two explanations for this are:
- the regency is more effective (less waste heat through the stack, rather unlikely as it's a non-cat) or
- the regency can be loaded with more fuel (mass) because it has a larger firebox. That I do not know.
It is also very possible when pushed the efficiency of the princess drops while the regency was in it's sweet spot for efficiency. This is confirmed by relatively high exhaust temps from the princess when running for 8 hours.
Overall I do like the princess the even heat is great. It just doesn't have the power I need.

I am trying to heat my house when the princess no longer maintains temperature in the house I put more wood in. Call it what ever you want.

It matters because a short loaded 3CF princess can't compete with a fully loaded 3CF noncat. There is more fuel in the noncat to heat your home. It's like you are intentionally trying to stack the deck to prove something.

If both stoves are similar in efficiency which you usually argue they are, and both are burning the same amount of fuel for 8 hours, then both are delivering the same heat to the room. Thing is, your short loading of the princess means that it runs out of fuel sooner and the house cools off.

Overall I do like the princess the even heat is great. It just doesn't have the power I need.

I agree. The range of burn rates from the princess is too low for your demand which causes all sorts of perceived problems for you.

It matters because a short loaded 3CF princess can't compete with a fully loaded 3CF noncat. There is more fuel in the noncat to heat your home. It's like you are intentionally trying to stack the deck to prove something.

If both stoves are similar in efficiency which you usually argue they are, and both are burning the same amount of fuel for 8 hours, then both are delivering the same heat to the room. Thing is, your short loading of the princess means that it runs out of fuel sooner and the house cools off.
Really??? So you are saying I should wait to load my stove for hours while it isn't producing enough heat? What would that gain me?

Why would I want to prove anything? I just want to heat my house

I agree. The range of burn rates from the princess is too low for your demand which causes all sorts of perceived problems for you.
I didn't say it was a problem. I have repeatedly said I like the stove over all.

Reactions: Highbeam
I didn't say it was a problem. I have repeatedly said I like the stove over all.
Luckily, this is a free country, so everyone is allowed to use the stove they want. If you think that the Princess cannot deliver what you want from it, but the Regency can, you should probably go back to it.

Reactions: panderson03
It is also very possible when pushed the efficiency of the princess drops while the regency was in it's sweet spot for efficiency. This is confirmed by relatively high exhaust temps from the princess when running for 8 hours.
This is something I’ve also wondered. Cat stoves seem to be built for those long steady low outputs but when you increase the air how much does efficiency drop from the exhaust flow not having the time to reburn in the cat. Im beginning to understand where a properly built hybrid would give the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Highbeam
Luckily, this is a free country, so everyone is allowed to use the stove they want. If you think that the Princess cannot deliver what you want from it, but the Regency can, you should probably go back to it.
I don't understand why you guys get so defensive. I never said the bk was a bad stove. I was asked to give my input based upon my experience. I did just that

but when you increase the air how much does efficiency drop from the exhaust flow not having the time to reburn in the cat.
Well, if you just removed the cat, you'd have a non-cat (within reason), so even if none of the gases would reburn in the cat, you'd drop down to the efficiency of a non-cat.

Gentlemen, 100% of these stoves have test reports posted by law on the manufacturers websites. Some are easier than other to find. Assumptions or statements as to efficiencies at various or overall burn rates are in the test reports.

Look them up....

Perhaps I can change the topic herein. This question is simply a mental exercise, hoping to expand my understanding of a stove.

My Princess Insert is rated at 43k Btu on max burn. That must be with the fan on full.
Princess free standing stove is rated at 53K Btu and I assume that is without the fan package.

1. How much difference is 8K btu in total heat output? Is that even noticeable?
2. I realize that an insert has far less exposed box for radiant heating, but is that drop off so dramatic in total output relative to how warm a room might feel? In other words, would a free standing princess in the same room be that much warmer than an insert running on full fan?
3. Is perhaps the difference between the stoves related to "radiant" heat versus "convective" heat?

No complaints and my insert works fine, easily get 12 hour burns with the room at 68deg when it is 15deg or below outside. When I shoot the IR gun at the walls, it reads 65 about 2' from the floor and 60deg at the rug level, so I figure my 40 year old house is lacking in some thermal retention.

Reactions: BKVP
When I shoot the IR gun at the walls, it reads 65 about 2' from the floor and 60deg at the rug level, so I figure my 40 year old house is lacking in some thermal retention.
Depends. We down here often have stained concrete floors, at least my house does, meaning that it's just the top of the poured foundation. And that always is significantly colder than the walls 2' up.

Perhaps I can change the topic herein. This question is simply a mental exercise, hoping to expand my understanding of a stove.

My Princess Insert is rated at 43k Btu on max burn. That must be with the fan on full.
Princess free standing stove is rated at 53K Btu and I assume that is without the fan package.

1. How much difference is 8K btu in total heat output? Is that even noticeable?
2. I realize that an insert has far less exposed box for radiant heating, but is that drop off so dramatic in total output relative to how warm a room might feel? In other words, would a free standing princess in the same room be that much warmer than an insert running on full fan?
3. Is perhaps the difference between the stoves related to "radiant" heat versus "convective" heat?

No complaints and my insert works fine, easily get 12 hour burns with the room at 68deg when it is 15deg or below outside. When I shoot the IR gun at the walls, it reads 65 about 2' from the floor and 60deg at the rug level, so I figure my 40 year old house is lacking in some thermal retention.

Radiation vs convection does not make a difference in BTUs out put. It might make a difference in experience, though that depends on what a person prefers.

The 8k you note should be not negligible, given that my 11k or so (on low) definitely puts out heat that I experience and can measure (otherwise I would not light the stove and run it on low...).

This is all apart from the above discussion.

My princess has been burning great until a few days ago. First off when I got it, it looked as if the thermostat know was installed upside down. Which I figured wasn't a problem. I could still judge where I am setting the dial. A couple days ago I set the dial as I was for night time burn but it was burning as it was almost wide open. I've done thus a couple nights now. I just reloaded and noticed that the tstat knob has about a 1/2 where the know is turning but not adjusting the air flow. After turning it several times I noticed the 1/2" of no adjustment shifts around. Is there something that needs to be tightened? If so where? Thanks.

Well, if you just removed the cat, you'd have a non-cat (within reason), so even if none of the gases would reburn in the cat, you'd drop down to the efficiency of a non-cat.
You are assuming that all hybrids are just tube stoves with a cat slapped in them that is not the case.

My princess has been burning great until a few days ago. First off when I got it, it looked as if the thermostat know was installed upside down. Which I figured wasn't a problem. I could still judge where I am setting the dial. A couple days ago I set the dial as I was for night time burn but it was burning as it was almost wide open. I've done thus a couple nights now. I just reloaded and noticed that the tstat knob has about a 1/2 where the know is turning but not adjusting the air flow. After turning it several times I noticed the 1/2" of no adjustment shifts around. Is there something that needs to be tightened? If so where? Thanks.
There is a little set screw that holds the knob in place

There is a little set screw that holds the knob in place
Thanks. It was loose. I'm really happy with the stove. Keeps the house warm and plenty of coals in the mornings for reload. I was sure when I looked at it the rod was turning. Not just the knob. Next time I'll start out with my glasses on.

This is confirmed by relatively high exhaust temps from the princess when running for 8 hours.
Couple that with a taller stack, sub zero temps and or wind and you are blowing the heat up the stack. Someone saying running high wide open on one setup can mean running on medium on another setup.

Knowing stack temps and what your chimney actually drafts takes a lot of mystery out of the equation.

Couple that with a taller stack, sub zero temps and or wind and you are blowing the heat up the stack. Someone saying running high wide open on one setup can mean running on medium on another setup.

Knowing stack temps and what your chimney actually drafts takes a lot of mystery out of the equation.
Do you really think I don't know exactly what my draft is??? I don't have a taller stack. My draft is setup to be spot on at about 25 degrees outside. Slightly high when it gets down in single digits.

You are absolutely right the setup can change things dramatically but mine is Installed to spec

Keep in mind that a BK running at max stat setting is not the same as a noncat with the throttle actually wide open. The BK will reduce the throttle once stove temperature hits setpoint. Still, going to be less efficient at max than at low. By “some” amount.

Gentlemen, 100% of these stoves have test reports posted by law on the manufacturers websites. Some are easier than other to find. Assumptions or statements as to efficiencies at various or overall burn rates are in the test reports.

Look them up....
I’d rather look at real world reviews on this site than an EPA lab test with perfectly spaced crib wood and optimum draft setup.

I’d rather look at real world reviews on this site than an EPA lab test with perfectly spaced crib wood and optimum draft setup.
I 100% agree with personal reviews. But, the data is valuable within the same test methods because of reduced variability. They aren't real world, but for stove to stove comparison, it's as close to reliable as you can get.

Reactions: Todd and Alpine1
Status
Not open for further replies.