2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you check with BK support on this? It's just a relative indicator, so this may not be that important.
It should cross into the red around 500F, but I've never seen any calibration procedure mentioned here for the insert thermometers. For the free-standing version, there's a mark to which you align the needle at 70F, as the means of calibration. But I see no such mark in this area on your insert thermometer.

Hey guys, hope you are all having a good weekend so far. I have a BK sirocco insert. I am wondering if there is a way/or if I even need to get the cat thermometer calibrated. When the stove is stone cold before I light a fire the needle is already half way to the active cat zone. I have attached a pic. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 293769

I believe that on this model the meter is remote and operates through some sort of wired system to provide on/off function like an idiot light. Regardless, the only thing it's good for is to determine when to close the bypass when it crosses the line.

Been a good season with our new Ashford. I am sure we are not quite done yet, we always seem to get some cold weather before May gets here, but I have been slowing down my burns already. I can't believe the difference in this stove from my old one. I can actually comfortably heat my house with only wood. I love it!!! I have been having a great time watching this site and learning so much. Thanks for all the great information. I will keep watching and will be looking forward to next years burning.

I’m right there with you. Right in a tough spot for wether to have a fire or let the heat pump do it’s thing.
With 55-60º days we've been running the heat pump. Wood stash is getting low so I am saving it for colder days.

38 and a white rain day, lit the stove last night and now on its 2nd full load (packed to the brim) mtn tops got dusted with snow, thankfully in the valley we are just big rain drops, still a raw chilly day though.

Have any of you long time BK users experimented with fuel load direction and fuel size and noticed whether or not it makes a difference in burn time?

I’ve noticed many use smaller splits and load only north south. Looks like some larger pieces could fit E/W in the bottom of those deep King and Princess stoves, then load the rest N/S. I’m sure some of you have tried that. I’m interested in your results.

I believe that on this model the meter is remote and operates through some sort of wired system to provide on/off function like an idiot light. Regardless, the only thing it's good for is to determine when to close the bypass when it crosses the line.
Thanks for the responses @begreen @Ashful @Highbeam. I spoke to BK support, and as suggested it is just an indicator. I appreciate the help. I am getting short burn times, and I know it’s my wood. That said, I am a worrier, and l although I am almost certain the wood is the issue, I am always looking for a way to monitor the stove to ensure it’s preforming as it should or if I will always be stuck with short burns. This was my first winter with the insert, and I am new to burning in general. I have 2 cords css which should be perfect for next fall. I am sure I will have a better experience then.

@BKVP, or anyone else ...

Couple of questions.

1. Is minimum chimney height measured from top of stove to top of chimney, or bottom of firebox floor to top of chimney?

2. What are low/high draft parameters in inches of WC for King and Princess?

Obviously King is 8” exhaust and Princess is 6” exhaust. I’ve seen posts here indicate -.06”WC is maximum, but I haven’t seen any numbers mentioned for the minimum.

I would be interested seeing the low draft number in “WC for a 8” chimney 15 tall on. King.

Just trying to compare how a King or Princess would draft for me. I can provide manometer readings for my low burns with my stove, but fuel is different.

Thanks for the responses @begreen @Ashful @Highbeam. I spoke to BK support, and as suggested it is just an indicator. I appreciate the help. I am getting short burn times, and I know it’s my wood. That said, I am a worrier, and l although I am almost certain the wood is the issue, I am always looking for a way to monitor the stove to ensure it’s preforming as it should or if I will always be stuck with short burns. This was my first winter with the insert, and I am new to burning in general. I have 2 cords css which should be perfect for next fall. I am sure I will have a better experience then.
You will gain more and more experience with each year with your stove. Glad you have some wood CSS’d already. Now is the time to add to that. Get ahead if you can. Gather as many cords as possible. The longer it is CSS the better off you will be. Seriously, get 2-6 more cords ahead if at all possible. You won’t be sorry!

Couple of questions.

1. Is minimum chimney height measured from top of stove to top of chimney, or bottom of firebox floor to top of chimney?

Obviously King is 8” exhaust and Princess is 6” exhaust. I’ve seen posts here indicate -.06”WC is maximum, but I haven’t seen any numbers mentioned for the minimum.

I would be interested seeing the low draft number in “WC for a 8” chimney 15 tall on. King.

Just trying to compare how a King or Princess would draft for me. I can provide manometer readings for my low burns with my stove, but fuel is different.
If you get to low, you will stall and then have to burn hotter, I've found on my princess at .06-.08wc I operate stable and fairly normal, I've never checked what I was when operating in black box mode, just happy it works and provide 24hr burns per load.

Couple of questions.

@#1: from the stove top, per the manual.

Reactions: Alpine1
If you get to low, you will stall and then have to burn hotter, I've found on my princess at .06-.08wc I operate stable and fairly normal, I've never checked what I was when operating in black box mode, just happy it works and provide 24hr burns per load.
That’s what I’m looking for, black box mode low manometer reading.

I suppose I am thinking they have a “known” minimum at the lowest burn. Just trying to see if my chimney will match minimum with having to modify it.

@#1: from the stove top, per the manual.
Didn’t see that. Must have missed it.

I did see what I thought was a discrepancy of 2 ft of stove pipe before horizontal into the chimney in one place and 3 ft before horizontal in another, but I’ll be double checking that.

Didn’t see that. Must have missed it. I did see what I thought was a discrepancy of 2 ft of stove pipe before horizontal in one ☝️ lace and 3 ft before horizontal in another, but I’ll be double checking that.
I believe 2 ft there is the minimum, 3 ft recommended.

So, I want to buy a spare cat and a roll of (Interam) gasket material this summer. Not that I need it, but I like to have a spare.

I can find the BK part number of the cat (S.CAT203032), but not the dimensions. Other websites list other part numbers.

As I don't have a gasket, I don't want to pull out my cat - and I don't know the depth of the cat (length of the channels) without pulling out the cat.

So, can anyone confirm 10.5"x4"x2" for a Chinook 30.2?

Then I can try to find where the best place is to buy this stuff. (A steel one, as it originally came with, as I don't have fly ash clogging issues, and I like how fast it lights off).

Didn’t see that. Must have missed it.

I did see what I thought was a discrepancy of 2 ft of stove pipe before horizontal into the chimney in one place and 3 ft before horizontal in another, but I’ll be double checking that.
Hoytman as you see they say “2’ minimum”, but as YOU know my king only has 19” of rise before the 90* elbow and works great 🤗.

Reactions: Hoytman
That’s what I’m looking for, black box mode low manometer reading.

I suppose I am thinking they have a “known” minimum at the lowest burn. Just trying to see if my chimney will match minimum with having to modify it.
Draft measurements are when a load is burning steady on high. Bypass closed and air all the way open.
With a black box, there is no point of measure the draft. Just find the settings where the cat doesn't stall. On high the ideal draft is around -0.05 to -0.06. Take into account, that outside temperatures can swing draft up or down. It is just a ballpark.

So, I want to buy a spare cat and a roll of (Interam) gasket material this summer. Not that I need it, but I like to have a spare.

I can find the BK part number of the cat (S.CAT203032), but not the dimensions. Other websites list other part numbers.

As I don't have a gasket, I don't want to pull out my cat - and I don't know the depth of the cat (length of the channels) without pulling out the cat.

So, can anyone confirm 10.5"x4"x2" for a Chinook 30.2?

Then I can try to find where the best place is to buy this stuff. (A steel one, as it originally came with, as I don't have fly ash clogging issues, and I like how fast it lights off).
I believe this is the one most here are using, link below. For gasket, you'll want 30" of 2 x 1/16 inch gasket, each time you remove the cat for cleaning or inspection. I just buy 10-20 feet at a time, as the material is cheaper than the shipping.

Weather is crap again, fired up the princess, first batch of wood is being burnt like its 20 deg outside, letting the basement soak up the heat, 2nd load will be burnt for a long haul, inside upstairs temp is about 66 atm, 45deg outside, the stove has been cold since Sundays rainy day firing. On a side note, this is the end of the second season on my cat, stove probe still fires up to 2-3 o'clock and holds steady, burning a mix of ash, cherry and walnut.

I've actually picked back up on running BOTH stoves, from having been getting a bit lazy on keeping the second one going over the last several weeks. I guess I got my second wind.

Weather forecast for Walla Walla, high tomorrow 71F....Sunday forecast, rain/snow mix....

Weather forecast for Walla Walla, high tomorrow 71F....Sunday forecast, rain/snow mix....
Ours was similar two weekends ago. Saturday, beautiful... outside mulching gardens in short sleeves. Sunday I was mowing the lawn, in snow showers.

Status
Not open for further replies.