2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's hot (which is why we have the stove, after all). New cat? (Apologies if I should have read previous pages again.) What is the outside temperature?

Why is the color visible in the holes not the same? Fly-ash issues?

That's hot (which is why we have the stove, after all). New cat? (Apologies if I should have read previous pages again.) What is the outside temperature?

Why is the color visible in the holes not the same? Fly-ash issues?

Cat was new beginning of last season so shouldn’t be hyper active. It’s in the low 40’s right now. No idea on the cat color, guessing slight temp variations across the surface.<shrug>

I very often get different colors across the cat. Brighter to dark.

I very often get different colors across the cat. Brighter to dark.

Me too. But not from spot to spot as here. More gradual. So I was just wondering. Not a big deal; cat is hot, so stuff gets "eaten" and the system works.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow hearther's wishing you all a fun day with friends and family.
Forecast is 52 today with no wind, burning coals down today and hopefully by tonight I'll have nothing but ash so I can do a good clean out (I think I did one 3 weeks ago) Cold windy weather coming for tomorrow, a clean firebox will be perfect. I have some gnarly uglies lined up for BK food - big maple knots and ash crotches are on the menu for tonight.

I didn't even take the cover off, just shot the end of the shaft where it goes into the box with some spray lube .
Will that work?

Will that work?

The spring washer is on the thermostat knob shaft so if you can follow that shaft with the red tube far enough to deliver the liquid lube to the right place I bet you would achieve some immediate improvement.

It might not last long and might drip down. Might stink when hot but it sure is quick and easy. Can’t hurt to try. I might try it next time.

When antiseize dries it leaves a powder.

Will that work?
It made an immediate difference for me, nice and smooth. I was being lazy and didn't want to remove the cover.

Edit: although I just noticed since I installed a fan kit I will have to remove the cover from now on.

It made an immediate difference for me, nice and smooth. I was being lazy and didn't want to remove the cover.

Edit: although I just noticed since I installed a fan kit I will have to remove the cover from now on.
Maybe still easier to remove the fan in that side. At least no worries about apply silicone to the cover like it should be.

Found this on Catalyst operation, sounds like 1600F is max operating temp to avoid flattening out the wash coat. Not sure if this applies to the BK cats:

Screenshot (190).pngScreenshot (191).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen and Alpine1
Yes. It should be the same for BK cats.

Found this on Catalyst operation, sounds like 1600F is max operating temp to avoid flattening out the wash coat. Not sure if this applies to the BK cats:

View attachment 286387

View attachment 286388
That is a presentation I gave during promulgation of the 2015 NSPS. The exposure threshold applies to all catalytic systems with same washcoat processes.

Reactions: ABMax24 and Alpine1
Maybe still easier to remove the fan in that side. At least no worries about apply silicone to the cover like it should be.
My BK had no silicone under the thermostat cover. There is silicone under the actual thermostat but that stays put.

Last edited:
Super easy and needed every couple of years.

Close the thermostat to max cold. Remove the thermostat cover. Locate the spring washer on the thermostat rod that provides tension. Finger on some high temp anti seize grease, work it in, turning the thermostat knob. You’ll feel it get smooth like buttah.

Then, close the thermostat back to full cold (closed flapper) and put the cover back on.
Can you describe how the cover comes off, I have zero minus mechanical abilities.

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing!

My BK had no silicone under the thermostat cover. There is silicone under the actual thermostat but that stays put.
I just removed one of my stoves cover and I thought it had silicone. Dry but it looks like silicone. I put just a little bit of it and put it back. Good to know I don't need it next time.

@BKVP are the version 3 cats more stout? I only ask because sometimes I wonder what my exposed cat face temps are, usually I turn my r-stat down after an established fire is made, I get a lot of secondary re-burn in the firebox that lasts for a while, secondary reburn that lights off usually occurs after 1100deg f which means the cat can be experiencing 1000 - 1300deg f pretty regularly.

Can you describe how the cover comes off, I have zero minus mechanical abilities.

There are three screws on the cover, two black lower ones near the bottom edge and one silver one up a bit higher.

Be sure that the thermostat is cranked to full cold for removal and installation. If you can’t handle this part then call your dealer.

Remove the two lower black screws. Square drive.

Lift off the cover. Depending on the guy assembling your stove that day the front of the cover might be stuck to the extra silicone that spooged out when he installed the thermostat.

image.jpg

Just one of them days here, grey, damp, cold and windy. I went outside for bit earlier, came in for some lunch and turned the t-stat up a little on the princess. I will not be going back out again, wood stacking can wait for a nicer day.

Came to the lake last eve. Loaded the Princess full of hemlock, after engaging the cat the plan was to let her rip for even 30min. After 20min the cat was pegged at max, flue temp was at 650 and the firebox looked like gates of hell!!
It felt a bit unnerving….reduced the air to about 2:00pm things settled very quickly. The cat was very orange. I am sure it was in the 1600 territory

Came to the lake last eve. Loaded the Princess full of hemlock, after engaging the cat the plan was to let her rip for even 30min. After 20min the cat was pegged at max, flue temp was at 650 and the firebox looked like gates of hell!!
It felt a bit unnerving….reduced the air to about 2:00pm things settled very quickly. The cat was very orange. I am sure it was in the 1600 territory
I am tempted to reload with just couple of splits and let it go through its full cycle

@BKVP are the version 3 cats more stout? I only ask because sometimes I wonder what my exposed cat face temps are, usually I turn my r-stat down after an established fire is made, I get a lot of secondary re-burn in the firebox that lasts for a while, secondary reburn that lights off usually occurs after 1100deg f which means the cat can be experiencing 1000 - 1300deg f pretty regularly.
Can you define stout in the context you are inquiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.