2021-2022 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 cords give or take.. I assumed the cat would last a lot longer then that..

Well haven't changed it since I bought the stove.. I fired up the stove a coue of weeks ago and pretty much everything is going good until like in not sure the exact hours maybe 2-4 hours later and the cat is in the inactive zone. So today I disconnected everything from the stove and when I had the bypass open I saw the gasket and just thought of changing it. But what I noticed also is the bypass door when closed actually had a little play in. If I took my hand I could actually lift up on it a smidge, but I adjusted the screw on it and made her snugg so no movement. I also took the steel cat out to inspect it. The steel cat only has 2 or 3 seasons on it and seem to have crowned a little as a 2x4 of lumber does. I put high temp gasket around the opening of the cat and gasket to give it a better seal as I could see more of a opening towards the bottom where the side had a better seal to it.

Fired the stove back up a little later and same chit cat dies out after a couple of hours. Door gasket looks good put the dollar bill test passed everywhere except the side closest to the 2 hinges. It's not loosey goosey but she does pull out.

I guess a door gasket is next.

I got extra short life from the one steel cat I tried. Right back to normal life with ceramic. I even did a full boil in vinegar trying to revive the steel cat but it had totally worn out.

New to the site. Newish to wood stoves. I've used my MIL's wood stove insert and I've used standalone wood stoves before.

However, my husband and I are looking to have a wood burning stove insert installed in our fireplace. (We live in Texas be we recently survived the Snowmaggedon that collapsed the electricity grid, so we're trying to beef up various aspects of our house, and our house is old so we're doing so weathering proofing and the chimney is a bad one). The company that I called said they only install Blaze King and suggested the Ashford 25 . He said it would be $6,500. I don't recall if that included install and all the extra lining and stuff that is needed to install it. But is that a normal price for Blaze King? Most wood stove inserts I could prices for were in the $1500-4000 range. Granted, this one does have a high efficiency rating that will quality for a 26% tax refund which is cool and all. It just seems awfully high.

Thanks in advance

New to the site. Newish to wood stoves. I've used my MIL's wood stove insert and I've used standalone wood stoves before.

However, my husband and I are looking to have a wood burning stove insert installed in our fireplace. (We live in Texas be we recently survived the Snowmaggedon that collapsed the electricity grid, so we're trying to beef up various aspects of our house, and our house is old so we're doing so weathering proofing and the chimney is a bad one). The company that I called said they only install Blaze King and suggested the Ashford 25 . He said it would be $6,500. I don't recall if that included install and all the extra lining and stuff that is needed to install it. But is that a normal price for Blaze King? Most wood stove inserts I could prices for were in the $1500-4000 range. Granted, this one does have a high efficiency rating that will quality for a 26% tax refund which is cool and all. It just seems awfully high.

Thanks in advance
I hope that is a complete installed price

Reactions: clancey
Call him back and ask what is included. Assuming you'll need AF25, insulated liner with cap/termination, block off plate and install labor.

Call him back and ask what is included. Assuming you'll need AF25, insulated liner with cap/termination, block off plate and install labor.
Labour rates have gone up lots, misc. materials prices too. 6500 might not be too bad.

So I emailed BK and got no response. Thought I'd try this forum.

My new Ashford handle hits the front of the stove when the door is swung closed IF the handle is in the down position. This has happened several times accidently even though we know to close the door with the handle in the up position. I am concerned that this could damage the cast iron front panel eventually. It is hitting by about 1/8+". The handle can be adjusted down by loosening 4 small nuts. This should eliminate it hitting. My concern is will this adjustment alter how the door latches.

Also, in the ash pan there are 4 studs like rivets. What are they for?

Latch.jpg

Superstar Ahhh you got it. The handle is a bit loose so it falls down on it's own. Looks like a simple fix by tightening the Allen head bolt. Curious though would lowering the latch affect the seal? What about the 4 rivet studs in the ash pan? It looks like something is supposed to fit on them. A cover maybe?

Thanks in advance
I priced BK Sirocco in WI and with install/lining its about $6500 before tax. But I checked only one dealer. The problem is they won't have it until Feb. LOL. I contacted BK to see if they can help me to locate one but they were absolutely useless. I would either drive or happy to pay $500 shipping fee to the dealer that stocks the unit.

I priced BK Sirocco in WI and with install/lining its about $6500 before tax. But I checked only one dealer. The problem is they won't have it until Feb. LOL. I contacted BK to see if they can help me to locate one but they were absolutely useless. I would either drive or happy to pay $500 shipping fee to the dealer that stocks the unit.

Sorry you felt we were "useless". We are not able to track which dealers have which models in stock. Our website has a dealer lookup and if you use that tool you can locate dealers near you. You should keep in mind that our warranties cover the parts and with some labor reimbursement to the servicing dealer. We request that dealers only sell to areas they are able to service. If you order a stove or go pick up a stove "x" miles away, you may wish to ask the dealer if they will be willing to drive to your home to service it (should it need it) or will you be required to make your own repairs.

I defiantly tighten up the door the door handle, not sure about the rivets, I opened my ash drawer and dont see what your talking about, if you can post a photo, that would help

Superstar Ahhh you got it. The handle is a bit loose so it falls down on it's own. Looks like a simple fix by tightening the Allen head bolt. Curious though would lowering the latch affect the seal? What about the 4 rivet studs in the ash pan? It looks like something is supposed to fit on them. A cover maybe?
Ratsrepus, Superstar

327797_505205922839789_1298488401_o.jpg 15128970_1530943886932649_1676133809139199630_o.jpg

Sorry you felt we were "useless". We are not able to track which dealers have which models in stock. Our website has a dealer lookup and if you use that tool you can locate dealers near you. You should keep in mind that our warranties cover the parts and with some labor reimbursement to the servicing dealer. We request that dealers only sell to areas they are able to service. If you order a stove or go pick up a stove "x" miles away, you may wish to ask the dealer if they will be willing to drive to your home to service it (should it need it) or will you be required to make your own repairs.
I made it clear I'm very much interested in your unit and willing to give my money to a dealer that stocks them since I want it this heating season and not the next. You as a company know who buys more than 1 unit at a time, vs me calling every single one and waste not just my but your dealers time. I'm sure other factors you mentioned affect this and make a ton of sense. But at the end of a day this forum convinced me on this insert and I can't get it in reasonable period of time. I get it- it's covid- etc etc. Apologies if I hurt your feelings. I stated how I felt when I went an extra mile trying to spend my $ on your product and it didn't get me anywhere.

I made it clear I'm very much interested in your unit and willing to give my money to a dealer that stocks them since I want it this heating season and not the next. You as a company know who buys more than 1 unit at a time, vs me calling every single one and waste not just my but your dealers time. I'm sure other factors you mentioned affect this and make a ton of sense. But at the end of a day this forum convinced me on this insert and I can't get it in reasonable period of time. I get it- it's covid- etc etc. Apologies if I hurt your feelings. I stated how I felt when I went an extra mile trying to spend my $ on your product and it didn't get me anywhere.
Have you tried Woodland stove in Minneapolis?

Digging up old info.... anyone got any updates on what the beta 3 cat is or was?

It's not just BK stoves. Materials shortages, steel prices, and high demand have hit the entire stove industry.

BK just doesn't keep track of dealer inventory so they can't tell you who has one on the shelf. It's really none of their business and I'm glad BK allows their dealers to keep actual inventory levels private.

Another company that makes great stoves and sells direct is Woodstock. They cater to the consumer vs. the dealer so will be able to help you with inventory questions.

Reactions: bholler
Hello All,
I am new to the forum, to catalytic stoves and burning wood. I just got my BK Sirocco 25 insert installed yesterday. I did a quick burn, and the house got pretty smokey. Not sure if it was spillage or the chemicals are burning off the stove. I called BK this morning, and they told me it is normal to see some smoke for the first few burns. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, for the people who load N/S, what are the lengths of the splits you are using? I know I can measure it, but I am not back at the house for a few weeks.

Lastly, my fireplace stone is uneven by design. I can see a few gaps around the stove that a custom shroud will cover. That said, If I put my hand near one of the lower openings, I can feel a slight draft. When I explained this to the installer, he said he didn’t feel it. Should I stuff some Rockwool in there and be done with it?
Thanks in advance for your help.

84CA6CF9-A94F-4987-9201-65E665223A74.jpeg

I can get all the regency stoves I want just no doors

That's the same though with most products : SOME parts are in short supply, making one wait for the complete product to be available.

The smoke: yes. The paint made my basement"look blue*. This will be common for each fire that is hotter than the previous ones. Just follow the manual, by doing increasingly large fires. Open the windows (2 opposite if possible) while you cure the paint.

The other questions I have to defer to others. But the split lengths should be in the manual or brochure that you can download from the BK site.

And welcome to wood burning and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
I can get all the regency stoves I want just no doors
That is a problem for all of us! We get ours from Belgium or Spain. Docks are full, so full we have a container sitting off the coast waiting to be unloaded...may be 3 more weeks!

• Wow
Reactions: Alpine1
Status
Not open for further replies.