2021/22 VC Owner thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m new here. Just purchased a Encore in flat black with the transitional style doors. I always wanted a wood stove in my house and specifically a Vermont Castings. I heard they were cranking out real garbage at one point but the new ones have a better refractory. I’m hoping I didn’t buy a piece of junk. I will be using it to take the edge off my heating system on those really cold days and weekends.

How are these new stoves?
They are certainly much better than they have been for a long time. Still wouldn't be my choice but I don't tell people to run from them anymore

If it’s just replacing gaskets and maybe caulking the inside every ten years I can handle that. I’m pretty handy. I remember years ago the insides were styrofoam of sorts. Now it seems stronger.

If it’s just replacing gaskets and maybe caulking the inside every ten years I can handle that. I’m pretty handy. I remember years ago the insides were styrofoam of sorts. Now it seems stronger.
The big work and expenses are not the gaskets. The refractory assembly is the weak part. In the older models, this would have to be replaced every few years and it was not cheap. VC now has a parent company that improved the refractory package so that it lasts a lot longer. If you are using the stove mostly just nights and weekends, it could go quite a while before needing replacement. Read back in this thread for frequent mentions of servicing this.

I guess the new refractory unities haven’t been out long enough to know how long they will last.

I’m excited for this stove and when I’m home I plan on putting some woods through it.

My question its how do you not over fire it. Can you let it rip with the thermostat open up and flue open when you want to see flames? Or will you get decent flames with the flue closed and you are using the refractory box?

I guess the new refractory unities haven’t been out long enough to know how long they will last.

I’m excited for this stove and when I’m home I plan on putting some woods through it.

My question its how do you not over fire it. Can you let it rip with the thermostat open up and flue open when you want to see flames? Or will you get decent flames with the flue closed and you are using the refractory box?
I have replaced a couple combustion chambers already but it's definitely more durable than the old ones.

For any modern stove you will need well seasoned wood (at least less than 20% moisture or two years plus of seasoning) and some apparatus (moisture meter, thermometer, cat probe ideally digital).

Start with that😜

2nd the cat probe (digital) and well seasoned wood. I have an encore from the 90’s that came with the house, previous owner had it fired up a dozen times in 20 years (maybe). It’s been an experience learning to live with its quirks but so far I haven’t had any major trouble out of mine.

But seriously get an auber monitor and cat probe, you’ll sleep better knowing exactly where it’s running.

Reactions: Diabel
I would not.

Do you think it’s worthwhile to buy a spare refractory for this stove?
There was a time it may have made sense. But now that they are owned by hht their parts availability and customer service has improved allot

There was a time it may have made sense. But now that they are owned by hht their parts availability and customer service has improved allot
That makes me feel a lot better about my purchase. It’s basically the stove I always wanted and it will look good in my living room. I’m really excited. Now I have to figure out how much wood to order. 1800 sq ft house on Long Island. Any suggestions? I work from home for the most part so I can keep this stove going for long periods of time.

The wood you are about to order will likely be fresh /unseasoned. With it your first burning season will be a struggle (we all did in our first yr). In your case it would be best to order three yrs worth of wood. Stack it all top cover it and hope it will be better next year.

See if you can get some split ash wood. If so, order at least 2 cords, it will dry quicker. Then if you have room, another 2-3 cords of split maple, beech, oak, hickory, etc.

A General MMD4E works well for me.

Ok cool. I’ll pick one up.

I ordered 2 cords of wood to start. The company says it’s over a year old but I figured if I get it now it will give it some more time to dry out. In the mean time I’m picking free wood off the side of the road for the next coming years. I have to get creative on how to store all of this.

We'll see. It may have been sitting as logs in the yard for a year, but will not start drying until it is split. When you get the wood, take an ax or splitting maul and resplit some of the thicker pieces. Then test for moisture on the freshly exposed inside face of the wood.

My brother in law got wood from them last year and he said it was seasoned. Best I’m going to do at this point. I’ll just have to process my own moving forward. I live on a 1/4 acre suburban lot so I don’t have endless room. I have logs hidden behind bushes and will be stacking wood against sheds and fences

Anyone else ready for summer to end so we can get these wood stoves fired up? I'm gettin kinda antsy here!
Nope, definitely not. Summer just started here.

I’m curious how the downdraft design of the Encores work without the catalyst? Does it get efficient secondary burn? Does anyone run them without the catalyst?

I’m curious how the downdraft design of the Encores work without the catalyst? Does it get efficient secondary burn? Does anyone run them without the catalyst?
I don’t think you can use the Encore as a flex burn stove. The Aspen, Intrepid and the Dauntless are the only ones you can use without a cat. Unless something has changed

I don’t think you can use the Encore as a flex burn stove. The Aspen, Intrepid and the Dauntless are the only ones you can use without a cat. Unless something has changed
I have an encore.. mine is a 2n1 flexburn

My stove is the 2040.. I run mine without the cat sometimes, mostly to take the chill of and non long burns. Your better off leaving the cat in if your closing the damper if you going to burn for hours like that. the cat will keep the stove pipe warm and that will keep the draft up, otherwise there's a good chance of the stove stalling on you and not getting a full burn or back puffing .. When I start my stove up in October.. its just a fire here and there.. no cat. as my needs increase and I want a longer duration burn the cat goes in

Status
Not open for further replies.