2021 Garden Thread

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Texas
I posted early in February about two camellias I had received thanks to the generosity of our next door neighbor. The white one bloomed in February just before the major freeze. The red one had lots of tight buds.

During the freeze I pushed the large terra cotta pots right up against our house and put other pots around them and covered each one with old bed sheets and shade cloth for extra insulation. I left the backs open against the walls of our house. Thankfully the plants and pots survived, and one bud on the red camellia that was probably up against the house lived, too. It bloomed today.

B4284D40-7CC9-4CDF-BCF1-FDDD8A14734A.jpeg

I’m very thankful that there is healthy new growth on both of these despite some freeze damage here and there.

Reactions: begreen

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I like it, begreen. Will you run drip irrigation to it? Is that gate in the background part of deer fencing that will protect it?
Yes and yes. About half of the property is deer fenced. Gardening would be futile without it. I planted some beets in the holes today.

clancey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
That pink flower is just beautiful and Begreen sure do keep your property very pretty and well maintained--lots of work for you two and I sure enjoy this little thread especially with such good ideas on how to live life to the fullest through gardening.. I have wondered how does that one deer fence keep deer out? lol clancey

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
Got a lot of the cooler weather stuff in yesterday. Broccoli plantlets were put in. Less than previous years... they got expensive! Spinach, kale, and beans went in the ground. Never had much luck with peas. I think we go from too cold to too hot too fast. Started the San Marzano tomatoes. A bit late, but I'll make it up in volume of plants this year. I need to change up the garden a bit. I've got a 11 year old raised bed that rotted out. As I've learned more about bed/sun placement and how I like to garden, it needs to be rotated 90°.

Reactions: begreen

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Texas
I’ve got three volunteer sweet potatoes coming up. I’m surprised, I will admit, especially after the winter they had here.

4193F535-8ED6-4DD6-8D81-1114051FEC9E.jpeg

I’ve got other sweet potato slips growing in the house now, and I still need to amend the bed where they’ll go with compost. I think I’ll have to move these because they’re in the long, narrow bed at the front of the garden where I’ve already put six determinate tomatoes, two dwarfs, and cilantro is growing.

C726E6A4-7B4A-4513-A84F-81466B174C13.jpeg

We’re having nights back down into the forties this week. My tomatoes, peppers, and even eggplant have buds and blossoms. I’ve decided to let them go without protection. It will be warm during the days.

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
ok this is weird. All my Egyptian walking onions are mowed flat to the ground. The broccoli and chives next to them is untouched. Garlic is untouched. What the heck wants to eat onion greens. Had to ask my wife if she did it! Lol.

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
It shouldn't be any long term harm unless it happens another few times, but its odd.

I've become completely fascinated with Egyptian walking onions. Does anybody else grow them?

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Texas
It shouldn't be any long term harm unless it happens another few times, but its odd.

I've become completely fascinated with Egyptian walking onions. Does anybody else grow them?
I don’t grow them and don’t know what would mow them down and leave your other stuff. Were the greens there or gone? I did have cutworm damage on my onions this spring, and I found the culprits in the soil, but there were telltale bits of greenery on the surface.

I see Egyptian walking onions mentioned a lot. Can you tell us more about them? I was going to ask for pictures (I would love pictures of your garden anyway), but I guess they’re not too photogenic at the moment.

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
I have 1 plant untouched, and there were a couple pieces laying flat on the ground. But they are cut off at the ground. Its really weird.

I'll try to get some pics later today when the sun comes out. A lot of it isn't in yet, there's a chance of snow tomorrow. *rolls eyes* eventually spring will get here.

The Egyptian walking onions look like regular onions. There's 1 bulb underground and it grows above normally. Then it throws off a bunch of above ground pea sized onions up at the top! Eventually the top gets to heavy and falls over, where the small top onions plant themselves and start over. Hence the walking part. They walk across the yard.