2022-2023 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More than likely you are burning creosote on top of the dome, behind the combustor. It will burn off, but depending upon amount, could take a while.
Since I do not have any anti seize I decided to wait with pulling the pipe. I reloaded the stove at noon today and it seems all good. Cat glowing, next to nothing smoke. Next time the stove is cold I will do all three. Pull pipe, put anti seize on linkage and pull and brush cat.

a couple drops of light oil on the thermostat mechanism keeps it working nice and smooth

I go through about 4 cord a year and have the same height chimney as him. My creosote at the top looks about the same if not a bit worse and I’ve had the usual burning characteristics one would expect with a BK stove.
4 cords is what I did last year too. Installer said make sure to find a sweep who will use a poly brush and revisit next season. He also says my wood MC could be a little lower. Thanks all for the input.

Just lit the princess, its going to running the next few days on uglies, its going to be chilly out there.

I have a fire going right now too. It’s only 46 out, but it’s windy and rainy too. Burning some ash.

Full load of oak went into one Ashford just now. Would load the second, but I still have an hour or three of desk work left tonight, so that probably won't happen. First solid freeze tomorrow, better get the outside water turned off.

Reactions: stoveliker
What do those of you who have an Auber AT200 have your alarm temp set at? Mine was 480 degrees from the factory. Which I hit quickly. I moved it up to 998 degrees, but I think that’s too high. Highest temp I’ve seen it so far was upper 700s.

I was thinking of setting it to 850 degrees.

Btw it’s awesome being able to fine tune the burn with the Auber. The lowest I’ve seen so far was around 250 degrees when the stove was turned down a bit. Cat temp was around 2 o clock on the cat gauge.

Reactions: Highbeam and Nelson
Midwest is supplied by Applied Ceramics. They are the industry OEM provider to many stove companies.

Looks like the weathers finally going to turn this Friday. Been a really good run of nice weather since late June but probably won’t stop raining til next July now
It's times like this that I am really glad we have the heat pump and are not adding to this foul air. It was at 701 at Diablo Lake yesterday. They had to shut down the huge Colonial Creek campground due to the toxic air. That is as bad as New Delhi after Diwali which is the worst I have experienced.

Reactions: Nealm66
I meant to post this a few weeks back, but kinda forgot about it, while re installing the cat on the Askford 30 this fell into my hand. I guess I should direct this towards BKVP. any idea where it goes

20221005_162704.jpg

I meant to post this a few weeks back, but kinda forgot about it, while re installing the cat on the Askford 30 this fell into my hand. I guess I should direct this towards BKVP. any idea where it goes

View attachment 300888
That’s a CAT retainer clip/doohickey, you have one on each side of the CAT..
BEFORE it slides into place..
edit; clips go in 1st then CAT slides in..

Reactions: Ashful

View attachment 300888
Showrguy got it. If you haven't lit yet, you should be able to slide the cat back out, place that retainer, and slip the cat back in. If you've lit, then you're gonna need another 30 inches of interam.

Clip goes with the "hook" toward rear of stove, and ears pointing away from cat, such that it wraps around the frame opening. Look for a good parts diagram, if my description doesn't make sense.

Reactions: ratsrepus
that makes sense, ILL cool her down then have a look

Hey all. I fired up our new BK Ashford and am curious if it's possible to reload it or "top it off" in the middle of a burn cycle? Or do I need to wait until it burns all the way down and do a full reload?

You can, but I'd avoid it as much as you can. If you do, you have to take your time after opening the bypass (and opening the Tstat) - you have to let the cat really cool down enough before opening the door. Having a hot cat exposed to cold air has a high chance of ruining the ceramic and/or the wash coat.

Hey all. I fired up our new BK Ashford and am curious if it's possible to reload it or "top it off" in the middle of a burn cycle? Or do I need to wait until it burns all the way down and do a full reload?
I do it all the time. I wouldn't hesitate, especially at 4 a.m. when I need to leave for work and don't want my wife to have to load it before she leaves at 8 a.m.

I copy from the manual.

My interpretation is that this has to do with the cat being exposed to cold air coming in thru the open door. The hotter the cat is the more likely damage will be done. It's called thermal shock.

Screenshot_20221019-192758.png

Reactions: BKVP
Status
Not open for further replies.