2022-2023 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Temps now again suppose to dip sub 35deg f next few nights, gona grab some princess cat food and do a relight
Two Ashfords lit an hour ago.

It's funny, in October I'll lite them any time temps drop below 50F. But then by April I'm so tired of feeding them, that I'm usually down to burning only one, and even then I'll often let it go out on days colder than this.

It's funny, in October I'll lite them any time temps drop below 50F. But then by April I'm so tired of feeding them, that I'm usually down to burning only one, and even then I'll often let it go out on days colder than this.
I think it is totally normal. I do the same.

Reactions: Nelson
Looking like it's going to drop below zero around here for the first time this season. This light evening load I've been doing the last few days is really keeping the boiler from firing up. 10hr/4hr/10hr burns with the thermostat turned up to about 3:30 instead of 3:00.

Yup... have to play golf with my work bosses today, woke up to 34deg f, suppose to get to 55 this afternoon, dreading it, I'm just not use to the cold yet, if this was the spring and it was 34 with a high of 55, I'd be on the fence with short sleeves and sunblock for the course, funny how when things are on the downward slide if feels worse then the upward swing.
The stove... the stove is working top notch, I'm still using uglies, cleaned out the ash from previous fires, took my uglies and packed them in standing them up and down making a semi-circle, kindling in the middle, light and walk away, that method gives me a 20hr burn which is perfect for this time of year.

First fire of the season for me.

30BFD9F1-6BD6-4604-A0DD-9BACF3560629.jpeg

Yup... have to play golf with my work bosses today, woke up to 34deg f, suppose to get to 55 this afternoon, dreading it, I'm just not use to the cold yet, if this was the spring and it was 34 with a high of 55, I'd be on the fence with short sleeves and sunblock for the course, funny how when things are on the downward slide if feels worse then the upward swing.
The stove... the stove is working top notch, I'm still using uglies, cleaned out the ash from previous fires, took my uglies and packed them in standing them up and down making a semi-circle, kindling in the middle, light and walk away, that method gives me a 20hr burn which is perfect for this time of year.
Depending on the course, it'd be a good excuse to bring extra booze.

<-- Used to golf, before sailing consumed all free fair-weather days. (It's okay, we drink while sailing, too!)

Depending on the course, it'd be a good excuse to bring extra booze.

<-- Used to golf, before sailing consumed all free fair-weather days. (It's okay, we drink while sailing, too!)
Not that bad today, very little wind, shot a 79, was nice to get home, stoke up the stove then stand with my back facing it warming up my sore bones lol.
Side note - I was telling my manager all summer that I’m driving golf balls colds to 300 yards and then some, he thought I was pulling his leg, until hole 2 today, par 5 585yard on in 2, at the end of the round he said how do I swing so strong, I said get a pile of wood and a fiskars x27, it will change your golf game

I recently added a temp sensor to my ashfords fan, solving a problem I’m not sure I had. I also did some cleaning. The two screws that hold the lower cast iron cover over the thermostat/ fan tray seem to short. They are 3/4”x 5/32 Alan head machine screws. Can someone tell me that’s what came on there’s as well. I can see only two threads are making contact. Curious before I go get longer ones.

@BKVP, can you DM me? I'm retiring my 86' RHT 2200. Local BK dealer here in chapel hill, NC is none responsive and a full voicemail.
I'm back! I will send you a PM.

Pictures of the massive Bull you got ??
Unfortunately for me, it was a spike bull tag. Fortunately for the spike bulls, they were absent from my trips afield. Wouldn't you know I saw many, many large bulls. But back to selling and building stoves! Thanks for asking.

So I’m noticing no difference in the new ceramic cat I installed from the one I replaced ( 2 seasons) that looked a little beat up. I suspect I could have ran it for another season with good performance. Thought I should mention in case there’s anyone else out there on the fence to replace. This one is ceramic vs the original was steel and it will be interesting to see if I chicken out in 2 more years and swap it out anyways like a nervous nelly

Reactions: Ashful
So I’m noticing no difference in the new ceramic cat I installed from the one I replaced ( 2 seasons) that looked a little beat up. I suspect I could have ran it for another season with good performance. Thought I should mention in case there’s anyone else out there on the fence to replace. This one is ceramic vs the original was steel and it will be interesting to see if I chicken out in 2 more years and swap it out anyways like a nervous nelly
'guess your old cat wasn't dead!

I always debate this decision myself, I've never seen a cat die in any dramatic fashion, I usually just replace them out of self-doubt and a calendar. But now that I'm into my 5th season on the current, pair, I have some inclination to just see how long I can keep them going! We are not doing daytime burning yet, just overnights, so I haven't had any chance to check the plume early in the burn. It's possible I'll find it unacceptably dark, and replace these combustors, once I've had a chance to see it in daylight.

They do diminish in the ability to eliminate particulates over time. In some cases, users are so well-tuned into their own stoves performance (not necessarily emissions) they "feel" a difference in new versus aged.

Masking is the single greatest influence on a cats performance. When enough build up on top of the precious metals has transpired, the efficacy begins to be noticeable....to, again those folks very tuned into their stoves and can afford a replacement, they move to a new cat.

Although the PM difference in the OMNI study showed a 1 gr/h increase over 9.5 years, what is more noticeable is the amount of time required to get above 550F....active.

It's not noticeable to most users, the increase in time, but, I've posted this here before, this is a very tiny subset of users here on this site.

99% of stove owners are having coffee and breakfast, looking at election results, others are commenting on their wood stoves!

BKVP

I can't even get my Cat out of the kitten stage. Been burning 24/7 for over two months and it still pegs the needle without even trying. Colder temperature's in months to come so I hope it settles down one of these days so I can turn up the thermostat.

Reactions: Nealm66
I wonder if that’s due to the new high performance cat. I’m out in the sticks where nobody cares what’s coming out the chimney. Most still have the pre emission stoves and don’t know what they’re missing out on. Finally getting some perfect princess weather here. 26 last night = 72 upstairs at the swoosh mark

I would definitely have the new cat waiting to be installed after 10,000 hours of active cat time but would not do the swap until the old one dies. It’s really easy and fast to swap cats and can be done on a warm stove.

That said, there’s no harm in swapping before complete death. Consider it preventative maintenance instead of a repair. Lots of people and industries practice preventative maintenance.

I also noticed no difference in a new steel cat vs. a new ceramic cat. Both work great at the beginning.

Reactions: Todd and stoveliker
I think it’s the easy replacement that needs to be clear to newbys like myself . It’s very easy and quick. No reason to get all figity like I did and consider this as curiosity solved = no difference in performance ( unless you’re highly tuned lol) Highbeam is spot on.

I wonder if that’s due to the new high performance cat. I’m out in the sticks where nobody cares what’s coming out the chimney. Most still have the pre emission stoves and don’t know what they’re missing out on. Finally getting some perfect princess weather here. 26 last night = 72 upstairs at the swoosh mark
Could be the fancy cat but I'm guessing it's the amount of wood through it so far. I just measured the void in the woodshed and we are just barely over a cord so far. Looks as though stuffing the Sirocco 20 full morning and night takes just about .45 cord a month. I have been doing a small evening load sometimes just for fun and a little extra heat but probably not enough to change the average much. Lately the evening has been some 2" cutoffs I took off a 1/4 cord of 18" wood I had.

We've dipped below zero several times already but are currently sitting at +13° this morning. House sticks around 70°-72° most the time until about -20°. Seemed like -20° was the magic number where the house dropped to 68° and the boiler kicked on for a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.