2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
It looks like we have the possibility for some ice coming in, the information below is from NOAA.

Then attention turns to a potentially significant icing event
Wednesday night into Thursday somewhere across the Northeast. A great
deal of uncertainty remains with the evolution of this system with
regards to the precipitation types, timing of changeover and
location of the most significant ice accretion. But given the
potential for travel and commute disruptions, be sure to pay close
attention to the forecast.

Anyone remember winter 2020 in the northeast? We got slammed by one storm after another, to the point where we were running out of good places to put it. So far, at least hear in the lower northeast, this year has been bust.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Anyone remember winter 2020 in the northeast? We got slammed by one storm after another, to the point where we were running out of good places to put it. So far, at least hear in the lower northeast, this year has been bust.
We had one year when we first moved up here that we received so much snow I ran out of room along the driveway, I would never do what I did again, but I filled the lower part of our driveway with snow, when it finally stopped snowing and spring arrived it was almost out to the main driveway.

After that I started making more areas in the woods for snow storage, some years they get used and other years not so much.

Yeah luckily our severe weather finally ended a week ago... now we're looking at +3 at the end of this week. Rough life
Our first snow event was the heavy wet snow with winds so we lost power for a bit and then a second storm not long after the first was sugar snow but the winds were crazy, we never lost power on that storm.

We thought it might be an old fashion winter with plenty of snow but mother nature brought in warmer temps with rain so most of the snow is gone.

I won't complain on the warmer weather, it's saving people on their heating bills and their firewood.

Reactions: Dix
About five minutes ago we had the house/windows shake, not any severe weather or quake but a sonic boom from a military plane.

Those sonic booms are just scary and I have experience a few here too over the years. My house shook too, not lately but I know the feeling and surprise..alarming. lol..Weather here is sunny today but we got snow overnight and I gave the neighbor 10 bucks and he shoved my front walk for me. Hope everyone"s power stays on and so far so good here...South is suffering with high winds and flooding. I guess it could be worse especially with this cold weather that I have...Happy New year everyone and praying we all stay in good health for us and our families...clancey

Those sonic booms are just scary and I have experience a few here too over the years. My house shook too, not lately but I know the feeling and surprise..alarming. lol..Weather here is sunny today but we got snow overnight and I gave the neighbor 10 bucks and he shoved my front walk for me. Hope everyone"s power stays on and so far so good here...South is suffering with high winds and flooding. I guess it could be worse especially with this cold weather that I have...Happy New year everyone and praying we all stay in good health for us and our families...clancey
Our local TV station which is out of Watertown NY just said it was an earthquake and not a sonic boom, no details on how big it was yet.

It looks like the worst of the ice will stay north of us unless it changes.
StormTotalIce.jpg

This is from NOAA, this amount of rain should get rid of most of the snow in the woods, up north could be getting a lot of ice.

Rain, mainly before 4am. Low around 34. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

StormTotalIce.jpg

I thought that ground "under you" was suppose to be strong...gosh that's scary...clancey
There still hasn't been any reports on what they called a earthquake on the news last night, we'll see what they say tonight.

Nothing on here about it.

This is still the only place I found that has any reports on it.

Only in WYOMING! Impact of last week’s storm
Wow... chaos in Wyoming. But ignoring the snow, for which they always claim they're equipped, that package volume is but an average Tuesday afternoon in much of the northeast.

Wow... chaos in Wyoming. But ignoring the snow, for which they always claim they're equipped, that package volume is but an average Tuesday afternoon in much of the northeast.
My point was not that this was a large volume of packages necessarily but how people (the driver) reacted to the extreme weather. I should have been clearer. But I curious about who your “They” is. Amazon,USPS,WYDOT?

Our small rural post office got totally overwhelmed by Amazon packages. In December they were getting over 1000 packages a day. There is no Amazon delivery here in spite of being about 30 miles from Amazon's HQ. PO workers are working 7 days a week to try and keep up with this Sisyphean task. Many are quitting, adding further strain. Between the mass sorting equipment removal of a year ago and the increased package load due to covid, many rural communities now are at 3d world levels of delivery, getting mail only once or twice a week. Some even worse. The PO board of governors needs to be called on the carpet for this. The US postal system used to be the pride of the country. Now it has turned into a national tragedy. Packages shipped the first week in December are just starting to be delivered locally.

PS: This comment is BS
Boxrud added that the U.S. Postal Service apologizes and “pledges to do better.”
We were told the same thing with last year's breakdown of USPS services. Nobody wants to work there since DeJoy started wrecking the system.

Here's another example with a small WA state town.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJSullivan56
It was -30c for 2 weeks. Hit -40c or more a couple days. It also snowed a big dump at the same time. School canceled for many days. Now it’s been -15c for a while.

My upper level was kept toasty and I tried to keep it lit all night. Basement gets ice cold unless I run the furnace. But then it gets too hot upstairs. The classic issue. On those -40c nights the one toilet sometimes freezes up. I’m thinking about switching to a basement wood stove to solve.

Last edited:
My upper level was kept toasty and I tried to keep it lit all night. Basement gets ice cold unless I run the furnace. But then it gets too hot upstairs. The classic issue. On those -40c nights the one toilet sometimes freezes up. I’m thinking about switching to a basement wood stove to solve.
That toilet must be fun to sit on! :eek:

Zone the heat so that the furnace can keep the basement above 40º without baking upstairs.

That toilet must be fun to sit on! :eek:

Zone the heat so that the furnace can keep the basement above 40º without baking upstairs.
I have a small electric heater I turn on when I’m doing my business, it’s the best for a little cold bathroom. I reminded you all get one for your throne.

So, I'm sitting here in my office working, and I see a big flash out the window. My brain is saying, "it can't be lightning, it's mid-January, it should be snowing. Then I hear the rumble...

A friggin' lightning storm, in PA, in January! Can't say it's never happened before, but that is one rare event. We should be under snow, right now.

Took me a few minutes to find this old gem.

So, I'm sitting here in my office working, and I see a big flash out the window. My brain is saying, "it can't be lightning, it's mid-January, it should be snowing. Then I hear the rumble...

A friggin' lightning storm, in PA, in January! Can't say it's never happened before, but that is one rare event. We should be under snow, right now.
We have had occasional thunder and snow here. One time I was driving and lightning struck nearby in a blinding blizzard. It was bizarre and the flash was even brighter due to the snow. It took me 2 hrs to get home in that storm and the lightning happened when I was about 2000 ft from my finally arriving. I've experienced it a couple of times since then.

We had more rain earlier tonight, hopefully we get some snow overnight.

I have a small electric heater I turn on when I’m doing my business, it’s the best for a little cold bathroom. I reminded you all get one for your throne.
Why not pour a little antifreeze in the bowl/basin? I’ll do that at the cabin if it’s super cold.

We'll see how much we get and when it hits.
326588679_1543423419491392_5811088158400240020_n.jpg

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>011-016>021-242045-
Northern St. Lawrence-Northern Franklin-Eastern Clinton-
Southeastern St. Lawrence-Southern Franklin-Western Clinton-
Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Southwestern St. Lawrence-Grand Isle-
Western Franklin-Orleans-Essex-Western Chittenden-Lamoille-Caledonia-
Washington-Western Addison-Orange-Western Rutland-Eastern Franklin-
Eastern Chittenden-Eastern Addison-Eastern Rutland-Western Windsor-
Eastern Windsor-
337 PM EST Mon Jan 23 2023

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for northern New York, central
Vermont, northeast Vermont, northwest Vermont and southern Vermont.

.DAY ONE...This afternoon and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Tuesday through Sunday.

A strong cold front could produce some snow squalls across northern
New York and Vermont during the day on Tuesday. The quick intense
burst of snow accompanied by strong gusty winds could lead to greatly
reduced visibilities and treacherous road conditions where squalls
develop. Have a way to receive the latest forecasts and weather
alerts. Stay alert for rapidly changing road conditions.

Then our next winter storm arrives late Wednesday into Thursday with
the potential for widespread plowable snowfall and mixed
precipitation. Be sure to stay tuned to the latest forecast.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation is not expected at this time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.