2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like they figure Schenectady County will be missed on Tuesday. Follow 90 east and I'm at that little circle before you hit 87.

Reactions: thewoodlands
326955172_732865254940129_3151517739555159473_n.jpg

It looks like we could get another 2-6 inches of snow today with possible rain mixed in, I guess I'll leave the snow on the driveway today.

End of January, and my recently-upgraded snowplow has still seen no action, this year. What a difference, from 3 years ago!

I hear we might bet snow this week, but I've head that three times this year and it's still warm outside, so I'm not holding my breath.

My windows look out on ski slopes, and they have snow, only because they were making it furiously in December. A miracle it hasn't all melted, as we've had many straight days of "no jacket required" weather.

I have a friend down in Philly and she said you guys had no snow.

We only have 3 or 4 inches.

Odd year, but I’m happy it’s warm. Lots of people would be in real trouble if there was a cold winter this year.

Extreme cold is settling in to the west and midwest. This polar cold will be coming east later in the week.

Yeah, saw 9F next Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to some frozen weather, as I've processed zero wood since December. With near-daily rain and temps running mostly 30 - 50F, it's just been too soggy.

Got one monster ash that needs to come down. Was showing serious distress two summers ago, and then lost the few leaves it had early last summer. Was planning to drop it this winter, but I need another weekend or two with frozen ground to catch up on other things and get that done.

Reactions: Niro
Wow! Next weekend is gonna be cold! That lake ice is going to be singing! It’ll be like Star Wars!

Extreme cold is settling in to the west and midwest. This polar cold will be coming east later in the week.
Accu has our area at -29 Friday night and - 14 on Saturday night.

That's cold enough to make a brass monkey very uncomfortable.

That's cold enough to make a brass monkey very uncomfortable.
I'll be moving snow off the driveway and a few other areas before it freezes like a rock. We'll get another two loads of beech in by Wednesday and we'll be set for heat.

Everything runs different at those temps, February is usually the month the ice buildup gets bad in the Brook.

I guess it’s time to shut off the outside water!!!

I'm looking forward to the cold snap. Hopefully it slows down the woolly adelgid that is killing all our hemlock trees.
Got one bathroom vanity on an outside corner that freezes up whenever it gets below 0. I think I'll just drain those pipes preemptively this time...

Reactions: MJSullivan56
Run that furnace or boiler occasionally during the extreme cold to keep plumbing from freezing. It's often cheaper than the plumbing repair for frozen pipes.

Reactions: gthomas785
Hope everyone remembered to cover their tomatoes
What do you have for temps this morning? NOAA is saying we'll have a high between minus 9 and minus 11 today, we have a wind chill of minus 30 or below at the moment.

End of January, and my recently-upgraded snowplow has still seen no action, this year. What a difference, from 3 years ago!

I hear we might bet snow this week, but I've head that three times this year and it's still warm outside, so I'm not holding my breath.

My windows look out on ski slopes, and they have snow, only because they were making it furiously in December. A miracle it hasn't all melted, as we've had many straight days of "no jacket required" weather.
Much of that is due to the compressed snow. I dont know the science behind it, someone once mentioned that it insulates itself when compressed but while that makes sense it also doesnt to me :).
Ever step on the snow in your yard, drive over it etc - those are the last areas to melt

It's the rain that sucks. Where I live we have a few ski hills (two with hotels, condos etc) - and they had to make snow or they would be out of business. Then it rains, and that rain has to go somewhere. Usually it melts a ton of snow as it rushes down the mountain. Under the snowpack there will be streams that no one knows about. It's quite interesting. Late spring, Ive ridden over areas that have to be repaired with shovels to keep a trail open due to the wash out of a stream going through a trail.

Forecast single digits tonight and tomorrow. I'll be outdoors as much as possible, cutting up a big ash (24" DBH x 120 ft.) that came down two days ago, rotating some of my log inventory, and splitting a cord to replenish a recently emptied bin in one of my sheds.

Gotta hustle this year, we'll be lucky to have a half-dozen mornings with properly-frozen ground to work on, without making a muddy mess of the yard and splitting area with my tractor.

Forecast single digits tonight and tomorrow. I'll be outdoors as much as possible, cutting up a big ash (24" DBH x 120 ft.) that came down two days ago, rotating some of my log inventory, and splitting a cord to replenish a recently emptied bin in one of my sheds.

Gotta hustle this year, we'll be lucky to have a half-dozen mornings with properly-frozen ground to work on, without making a muddy mess of the yard and splitting area with my tractor.
Might hit 60 here same time next week. 11 degrees right now.
Ugh.

Might hit 60 here same time next week. 11 degrees right now.
Ugh.
Yeah, that's this year in summary. I can't recall another January with anywhere near the amount of rain we had this year. It must be a record, or at least within my lifetime. Makes for difficult wood hauling and processing conditions, as my wood lot is at the bottom of a big hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.