2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Low 60s would be unbelievable! We might be lucky to see 40 this week.

I remember one year we had 70s in February. I was kayaking through ice flows. Went up to the bulkhead on shore and my wife bent down to catch the bow. I saw something fall from her pocket. My 1 week old flip phone went swimming. Did an unofficial polar bear swim that day.

Even though we had some wind gust today, it wasn't that bad which is fine but the driveway is another matter. The attached picture is from last night so with the rain we received overnight it was worse this morning but it did get sanded.

IMG_0569.JPG

It looks like mother nature will bring in some ice with 1 to 3 inches of snow, could be some power outages.

StormTotalIce.jpg

Hope they are wrong. I hate ice storms.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Hope they are wrong. I hate ice storms.
We went through the ice storm of 98 so we hate them too. We haven't had any bad ice storms this year (hit north of us) but the thawing and freezing has a bunch of driveways covered with ice.

Our driveway has been sanded with sand, two year old pine ashes and we have around 15 bags of tube sand ready for the three point sander.

I saw your post on possible colder weather, in our long range forecast we have some single digit nights but nothing below zero..........yet.

We had enough ice overnight and this morning that most if not all the schools canceled classes for the day, the snow just started so we'll see what that does to the ice covered branches.

It’s raining here. I was wondering if I should dress warm for going up north today. Down to 11 tonight. I’ll dress warm.

It’s raining here. I was wondering if I should dress warm for going up north today. Down to 11 tonight. I’ll dress warm.
NOAA is calling for a low of 4 for our area, not real cold for February but still cold enough.

I’m in Glens Falls Galls at the moment and it’s rainy and 37. Life is always interesting! Dress appropriately and have fun with it!!!

We hit 70 yesterday. Overnight Low was around 50 and will be 55 this afternoon then dropping below 20 by 9 PM. So that will be a 35 degree drop in under 8 hours.

I’m in Glens Falls Galls at the moment and it’s rainy and 37. Life is always interesting! Dress appropriately and have fun with it!!!
We received some snow on top of the ice which actually adds some traction but I'll sand the driveway today .

Light snow at Schroon Lake now. That ice doesn’t look safe at all, lol.

I’ll have to keep myself occupied.

image.jpg

I think I’ll park in front of the pellet stove and a big pike.

image.jpg

Well the pellet stove went out sometime around 4:30-5am. I noticed the lack of light and thought uh oh. It’s like 13 outside. I tried to get it lit, I don’t have much experience with these things and it wouldn’t light. Woke up the semi drunk guy with a pellet stove and it finally lit on his 3rd try.

Was a bit worried about the little ones upstairs (they’re only 30) and they’re a bit tender still.

Ps, it pays to have a 0F rated sleeping bag, lol.

They're saying we might have a combination of sleet, ice and snow either Wednesday or Thursday, attached is a graphic with some possible winds.
WindDay6.jpg

Light snow at Schroon Lake now. That ice doesn’t look safe at all, lol.

I’ll have to keep myself occupied.

View attachment 309852
I just saw this on Facebook.
331220710_1203878703585351_6784850905480735983_n.jpg

PSA to all fisherman on schroon lake, the ice is shot, 10 inches of ice just gave way under my friends four wheeler. Everyone is safe bu shaken up. Thus rain is going to ruin it further, make smart decisions.

Hopefully this forecast changes but we'll see.

Northeast heavy ice potential​

As the storm system traverses the country, its precipitation shield is expected to start impacting Northeast states on Wednesday.

Due to warm air in place, not all precipitation is expected to fall in the frozen variety, but many communities in New York and southern New England could see significant ice accretions.

Status
Not open for further replies.