2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been updated to 8-12 inches in Schenectady, 1-2 feet up north.
Today NOAA has us getting 7 to 8 inches of heavy wet snow.
StormTotalSnow.jpg

Just back to normal, plenty of lows in the 30s, so the wood conveyor will be running for a while. 😏
We have a low of 12 tonight, we're burning ash firewood during the day and tonight we'll burn a bag of pellets.

Our temps during the day have been on the 30's which is nice.

Last night I woke up to dripping inside my window. I don’t think the roof is leaking. There’s a 6” overhang above that window. I think the gutter is full of ice. Maybe there’s an ice dam up there. It was raining this morning so, who knows… maybe the gutter is somehow forcing water into the soffit.

Last night I woke up to dripping inside my window. I don’t think the roof is leaking. There’s a 6” overhang above that window. I think the gutter is full of ice. Maybe there’s an ice dam up there. It was raining this morning so, who knows… maybe the gutter is somehow forcing water into the soffit.
That sucks but some winters will test your house more than others.

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM FRIDAY TO 4 PM EST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Moderate to heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations
of 6 to 12 inches. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph along the
western slopes of the Green Mountains.

* WHERE...Central and Southern Vermont, the Southern Champlain
Valley, the northern Adirondacks, and southern St. Lawrence
County.

* WHEN...From 9 PM Friday to 4 PM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult, especially late Friday
night and into Saturday morning.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow will be heaviest during the pre-dawn
hours on Saturday, when snowfall rates may exceed 1 inch per
hour.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Almost had to head North tonight. Got out of it, lol. I’m not dug out up there, I’m not sure how big the snow bank is up there.

Still saying 8-12 for my house, 1-2 feet for the cabin.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Whoa!! Steeple is cracked as well. Didn't look to me like it would come down, but they are concerned..very windy right now.
64024b257d8ba.image.jpg

Last edited:
I take it the roof ventilation wasn’t planned? That’s going to be a mess to clean up. I hope the steeple can be repaired.

They had some footage on the news. The crack is along brick lines, pretty low on the square steeple and angling up as the roofline did, if you shifted this viewpoint 90* clockwise from that shown in the pic, and the wind is coming from that direction. I see that the wind is supposed to get stronger for a few hrs. before it finally subsides. 🙁
1677878341442.png

SIL1 had a 8" or so leaner dead Post Oak hung up on another smaller tree, less than 100' from her house, that I hadn't gotten on the ground yet. It blew down today but luckily didn't come toward her house. IIRC, I figured that the little tree that it was hung on would keep it from coming toward the house. I'm just glad it's down now; I get very uneasy messing with those leaners.. _g

Oh boy, here we go.. Red Maples popping here! 🤗
PXL_20230304_143332903.jpg

We've got tulips up. Not opened, yet... but up. Onion grass took off last week. Early spring, this year!

Of course, this is where someone needs to point out it's not over yet. That's the trouble with early springs, they're often interrupted by a few cold snaps.

Get the woods wood now, before it becomes a jungle out there. But I've got, I dunno, like 6-8 cords of trunks in the background in this pic, so I likely won't be going in the woods too much this summer.
PXL_20230304_162314071.jpg

Looks like a very nice spot of land you have there, Woody. Nice place to chill in the shade with a cool drink, after summer yard work or processing firewood.

Daffodils are opening here and many trees are in bud, then a long stretch of cold descended upon us and everything slowed down.
dafodills.jpg

Our yearly average is 56" and so far I'd say we've seen less than 2 feet, a lot of rain though
We had some good snowfalls early and then the warmer weather moved in with rain, we lost most of that snow.

I'm not sure what our average snowfall is but I'm sure we're behind our average this year.

I just found one site that says our average snowfall is 88 inches.

And Michigan. My area is pretty close to average, about 90-95” so far. It hasn’t been what you would call warm, it’s just we just haven’t seen the brutal cold that we usually see. Barely dropped below zero all season. Even during the Christmas storm. Forecast for the coming week isn’t supposed to get above the 30s.

4E79D3C9-0B72-4394-B0B5-FF1F43197BC5.jpeg

Severe...warmth! 76 here today...Nutty, buddy! 😲
I need to do more "layin' around like a cat," as my nephew says.. 😏

PXL_20230306_221817785.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that was on the north end. We're on the south. Our ice is normally thinner. I saw a bunch of guys out Saturday, but everybody was on foot. We didn't go out. I went home mid Saturday.
When I saw this, I thought about your trip.

Oh, wow! Not me!

Thoughts go out to his family though.

My group didn’t poke any holes in Schroon this year. With all the warm weather we figured it wasn’t worth the chance.

I did go skiing over a big pond on Saturday, but I think that was the last time on the pond this year.

I’m glad my kid picked up wrestling, because winter sports were horrible.

Sent that out to the ice fishing group, and he was a coworker’s father in law to one of the guys.

I’m glad my kid picked up wrestling, because winter sports were horrible.
Rough sport for parents. Wrestling was my main "team" sport, growing up. My father would often get up at 4am on Saturdays to take us for 7am weigh-in at some gym two hours from home (travel team), then sit around four or five hours thru all the junior matches, to get to our varsity matches in the afternoon. Then he'd watch me wrestle for less than 90 seconds, wait for the rest of the team to finish, and drive 2 hours home. Lots of full Saturdays spent sitting in a gym, for a few seconds of action, if it's still run the way our local org was in the 1980's.

Rough sport for parents. Wrestling was my main "team" sport, growing up. My father would often get up at 4am on Saturdays to take us for 7am weigh-in at some gym two hours from home (travel team), then sit around four or five hours thru all the junior matches, to get to our varsity matches in the afternoon. Then he'd watch me wrestle for less than 90 seconds, wait for the rest of the team to finish, and drive 2 hours home. Lots of full Saturdays spent sitting in a gym, for a few seconds of action, if it's still run the way our local org was in the 1980's.
It’s pretty close to that now. I wrestled in HS and enjoy watching it. My wife, not so much.

It is tough watching it for 12 hours straight to see your kid wrestle for such a short time. Only the tournaments go forever though.

At least she’s much better than I was! She had 18 wins by pin this year and missed going to state by 3 people. I remember she lost 2 matches by letting her opponent escape a few times and it was enough to give them the win, lol.

She’s hitting weights now and joined a wrestling club for extra practice 2 times a week. I think she’ll be a little 114lb beast next year!

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.