2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet!

They closed all roads in my county tomorrow. I had to reschedule jobs and can’t even ski because I can’t drive to the trails, lol. I feel like my Cheerios got peed in, lol.

Reactions: bogieb
big concern for them right now is getting the 6+ ft. of snow off of roofs. With rains coming that can get really heavy quickly.
They may now be wishing they didn't have all that attic insulation.. 😯

Would the melt slowly lower the entire level or just create an air pocket between the roof and snowpack? I can see where you might end up with a natural igloo over the house. I can’t even imagine how that much snow reacts, lol

Huge snowfalls have to react differently than the 6” increments we get.

• Wow
Reactions: Woody Stover
Well cloudboy has a forecast I'm not looking forward to on voting/town meeting day. I'm just at the edge of that highest total band of 16-24". WMUR is still calling for 12-18" in my area. Either way, I filled up my gas can so my snow blower has enough to get thru what will probably be the biggest event of the season. I still have snow banks up to 4' tall. Although the main yard is only at 1-1.5' of snowpack.
The ante has been upped in some regions, with TheCloudBoy predicting 24-36" for the Peterborough area (about 20 miles from me by road). Still keeping it at 16-24" for my area. The local station is now calling for 18+ for my area (white section), so is in basic agreement. Roof is already dumping the first 5" that has fallen so far.

cloudboy forcast for noreaster (taken early 3-14-23).jpg WMUR forcast for noreaster (taken early 3-14-23).jpg

Well, the picture does match the azaelasin your avatar. So, there is that...

That is funny - yes it does color-coordinate well with my rhodies. But I'm in the salmon colored area - I would rather be in that bright pink area.

Doh, rhododendron! Lol.

Our ground is so warm our roads are staying mostly clear. The grass is getting a thick blanket though.

I'm going to guess we received just under three inches of snow so far, it's wet and heavy, the pictures are from back in the sandpit.

IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0621.JPG

I think more than that has fallen here. I bet I moved 5-6” off my driveway. The grass has more. It’s a nothing burger though. There’s no reason why the roads need to be closed.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I think more than that has fallen here. I bet I moved 5-6” off my driveway. The grass has more. It’s a nothing burger though. There’s no reason why the roads need to be closed.
Are you getting any wind yet? We're getting enough that when we do get wind, it will cause a small whiteout in the backyard.

Not yet. Some wind about 430 this morning though. I think it dropped a limb on some power lines. We had power again by 6, so it couldn’t have been too bad.

They may now be wishing they didn't have all that attic insulation.. 😯
Ya think?

tahoe snow.jpg

The snow has made inspecting the ski lift trolleys easier. 53 ft total.
tahoe ski.jpg

It's still snowing here, the pine branches are loaded with snow and they have a nice bend from all the weight. I plowed the driveways later in the afternoon hoping they wouldn't need plowing tomorrow, we'll see how much we get overnight.

It was the heaviest snow we've had in a while. Three areas I store plowed snow from the driveway are getting full so hopefully we won't have that many more snow dumps hit us.

I last cleared snow around 6pm yesterday. There's 1/4" to 1/2" on the driveway. I'll let the sun take it.

I last cleared snow around 6pm yesterday. There's 1/4" to 1/2" on the driveway. I'll let the sun take it.
We received another six plus inches of snow last night and this morning but it wasn't the wet and heavy stuff, that was nice.

My snow storage areas are either full or for some, one storm away from being full.

It’s going to melt fast! Temps are normal 40s coming up with sun!

30" of snow here. Lost power, for the first time, for 47 hour and 45 minutes. Had 13 ours of power then lost it again for another 10 hours. This pic was taken about 5 pm and it snowed for hours more.

truck at 5 pm on 3-14-23.jpg

30" of snow here. Lost power, for the first time, for 47 hour and 45 minutes. Had 13 ours of power then lost it again for another 10 hours. This pic was taken about 5 pm and it snowed for hours more.

View attachment 311103
We're getting rain today, how about you? The Lake Effect will shift north tomorrow from the Watertown NY but NOAA has the heaviest snowfall hitting well south of us.

No fire tonight. Much nicer being on the porch at night for a cigar when it's 50.

Finally broke 60º today. First time since October. Spent the day outside working in the gardens. Sore bones in the evening. Heading for a hot, long, shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.