2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to cut down a few small, "deadish" trees in the woods and cut them up this afternoon. Nope. Not when it's 93 degrees in April. It can wait until next week. :)

Reactions: thewoodlands
Was going to cut down a few small, "deadish" trees in the woods and cut them up this afternoon. Nope. Not when it's 93 degrees in April. It can wait until next week. :)
We hit 80 again today but the temps start dropping on Monday, maybe we'll have a pine fire. My fat arse was out working in the sun, it's time I start dropping some weight.

I didn't even weight 225 in the winter when I wasn't doing anything, must be I'm adding muscle! ;em

Warm here, too. Not 90 (holy cow!), but I think we got up to 86F today. Too warm for April, either way. This is June weather!

I did go outside once the temperature started dropping a little. Only outside cutting and stacking from 5 - 5:30 PM.

I think we hit 60 today. It felt wonderful.

Be grateful you all didn't get the dousing that Ft. Lauderdale got a couple of days ago. Over two feet in about 6-8 hrs. _g

Last edited:
This happened today down near the Watertown NY area, we could feel it up here.

A couple weeks ago we had 1 week of really nice spring/summer like weather, then a week ago it shut back off like a switch. Had snow most days last week and some accumulation for a couple days. Temps from the high 20s to the low 40s pretty much every day. Looks like this coming Friday we might see a brief spike of 50s, then back to the 30s and low 40s. I’m still burning every day. Usually the snow is done after the 2nd week of May, but I’ve been burning into the 2nd week of June before.

A couple months ago they scheduled an earth day type 5k walk for us at work, for this coming Wednesday. Supposed to be in the 30s. I signed up but I’m not freezing my tail off for it.

A couple weeks ago we had 1 week of really nice spring/summer like weather, then a week ago it shut back off like a switch. Had snow most days last week and some accumulation for a couple days. Temps from the high 20s to the low 40s pretty much every day. Looks like this coming Friday we might see a brief spike of 50s, then back to the 30s and low 40s. I’m still burning every day. Usually the snow is done after the 2nd week of May, but I’ve been burning into the 2nd week of June before.

A couple months ago they scheduled an earth day type 5k walk for us at work, for this coming Wednesday. Supposed to be in the 30s. I signed up but I’m not freezing my tail off for it.
Even though we've had some warmer weeks (70 to 80) this April, it has been a wetter April compared to April of last year.

We've had some temps from the mid 20's to the low 30's in the morning so we're still burning shoulder season wood. We've had some cold temps in the summer before, just above freezing so we usually will burn some pellets.

We had heavy rains overnight and this afternoon ( 1 to 2 inches ) so the streams, brooks and rivers are still running at high levels, last year April was dry and May was real wet, we'll see how May turns out this year.

Reactions: tlc1976
I'm a little bummed out today. Last night I drove north to hopefully see the northern light. The sky was half clear in town. Up north it was cloudy and rainy.

I'm a little bummed out today. Last night I drove north to hopefully see the northern light. The sky was half clear in town. Up north it was cloudy and rainy.
I saw our local news at 6 p.m. yesterday, they said because of the clouds we wouldn't see it. It's cold out with heavy rains, just the opposite of last year in April.

I figured I had to try! It was a good drive with the family. Lots of chatting.

I figured I had to try! It was a good drive with the family. Lots of chatting.
Nothing like taking a good ride with the family. 👍

I'm hearing heavy rains and winds this weekend, we'll see how much the forecast changes in the following days.

I hope it changes. The water had gone down, pretty sure that trend will reverse itself after yesterday.

With all the rain we'll get and some possible wind gust up to 50, people in the affected area could lose power.

April snow showers brings May snow showers. Planning on another month of winter. High of 37F today. Good thing I bought extra pellets last summer.

It was 33F for the 5K. I chose to stay at work with the heater under my desk.

IMG_4370.jpeg

We’ve been having so much rain the grass is like a foot tall. I’ll have to weed wack it to be able to get the lawnmower on it. If only it would stop raining!

We’ve been having so much rain the grass is like a foot tall. I’ll have to weed wack it to be able to get the lawnmower on it. If only it would stop raining!
Same here. After a long dry spell the prior few weeks, the last week has been near-constant rain. We had 5" just over the weekend, and then more again yesterday. Finding days when it's dry enough to mow has been a challenge.

My first mow is usually “mow-morial” day. Will see what happens. Definitely not enough to mow right now.

My first mow is usually “mow-morial” day. Will see what happens. Definitely not enough to mow right now.
For the past two years, our first mow has been at the end of February. And this is in spite of a cool spring. I just did mowing #4 a couple of days ago.

Usually sometime in early April, here. This year was typical in that regard, but it's gotten unusually cold since then. Been mowing in a Carhartt jacket!

Unlike east coast weather, we have dry summers. The lawn stops growing in July and browns out in August only to wake up again in October. So no mowing at the end of summer.

Unlike east coast weather, we have dry summers. The lawn stops growing in July and browns out in August only to wake up again in October. So no mowing at the end of summer.
Same here, but maybe not as long, or quite as dry. I know you once lived in my neighborhood, or fairly close to it, but our grass usually goes dormant early July until mid-August.

What most people are mowing here during that time is weeds, not grass! That may be the difference, in that we still have enough humidity in the air to keep the weeds growing. Those of us with weed-free lawns get to take a break for the majority of 4 - 6 weeks, most summers, but we are a small minority around here.

Meanwhile, the wildfire season has started early in Alberta. It's a big fire. @ABMax24 hope this is not in your area.

Accu is calling for a low of 35 tomorrow morning and 37 on Wednesday morning. I have some ash going in the liberty tonight.
image1.png

I’ve had a few really dry summers where the grass starts to go brown in spots, but never dies. The only thing here that stops the grass from growing is the cold and/or darkness. Usually is tall enough to mow a few weeks after the last snow, and last mow is September or possibly October. Always get a first snow in October. Some years it rains for 3 weeks straight before it turns to snow, but it’s too dark and cold for the grass to really grow anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.