2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that was on the north end. We're on the south. Our ice is normally thinner. I saw a bunch of guys out Saturday, but everybody was on foot. We didn't go out. I went home mid Saturday.

Reactions: thewoodlands
More pics from some that went through the ice on the St. Lawrence River, all got out ok, not sure on the 4 wheeler.
2023 Severe Weather2023 Severe Weather

Quads and sleds make it so much easier to get out, but the ice is not covered in snow. It’s super easy to pull your gear by hand. One of those old flexible flyers would make it effortless.

Quads and sleds make it so much easier to get out, but the ice is not covered in snow. It’s super easy to pull your gear by hand. One of those old flexible flyers would make it effortless.
I think that happened out near the Amvets on the Grasse River where it meets the St. Lawrence River, usually you have some strong currents in that area.

We'll see how much this changes before Wednesday but it looks like our area will not get the ice.

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for northern New York, central
Vermont, northeast Vermont, northwest Vermont and southern Vermont.

.DAY ONE...This afternoon and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Monday through Saturday.

A potent winter storm looks to impact much of our region overnight
Wednesday into Thursday with the potential for over 6 inches of snow.
Be sure to monitor the latest forecast.

Not bad, we'll see if the forecast changes.
2023 Severe Weather

They canceled the school busses for today and are expecting some ice and snow here in southwestern ontario. Hopefully we don't get too much.
If we get the winds, it will make it even tougher driving on the road.

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow and blowing snow expected. Total snow
accumulations of 6 to 10 inches. Winds gusting as high as 40
mph.

* WHERE...Northern St. Lawrence, Northern Franklin and
Southwestern St. Lawrence Counties.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 1 PM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult, especially during the
Thursday morning commute. Areas of blowing snow could
significantly reduce visibility to near zero at times in the
heaviest snow.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...A period of heavy snow with snowfall rates
of 1 to 2 inches per hour will occur tonight before tapering off
to light wintry mix Thursday morning.

It’s beautiful here. It’s a nice sunny day. Right at freezing…. I hope we keep it!

They did move effortlessly. Me and my next brother each had one. Then a younger brother had a Happi-Time.
Ah, those were happy times. 🤗
2023 Severe Weather2023 Severe Weather

I made a couple Smitty sleds for pulling gear. It picks the regular sled up on old downhill skis. It works pretty good when there's snow on the ice.

It’s beautiful here. It’s a nice sunny day. Right at freezing…. I hope we keep it!
We're at 21 with some winds but nothing bad, the sun was out but the cloud cover has moved in.

We ended up getting primarily sleet vs the possible freezing rain that was forecasted. A slight covering of ice did happen but thankfully not remotely close to the 1/2" that was a possibility. All school busses are canceled again today because there is a chance this afternoon of more freezing rain as it warms back up. (We're on the rise from the current 21F)

We have 3 or 4 inches of covering outside. It sounded like sleet hitting the windows all night.

We received what looks like five inches of snow, I think the WSW ends at 1 p.m. today.

Unfortunately, here they come out any time it gets into the 60s and above, even at this time of year. Not many, though. There really aren't that many here; I can sit on the porch at night and there's none around. They seem to come out a little around dusk.
Contrast that with WI, where I can remember times that I had to run from the house to the car--15 of 'em would be nailing me already if I walked. And I don't even attract them all that much, not like some people do.
Then I had a buddy that didn't care if he got bit because he had no reaction, no itchy bump from their bite.

I just saw that AccuWeather is calling for 10 to 15 inches of snow starting at 7 p.m. Friday to Sunday at 7 a.m., anyone else in for a dump of snow?

Getting severe here as well. It's 77 right now; I'm gonna be sweatin' my arse off out there today! 🥵

• Wow
Are you in for a big drop in temps?
Just back to normal, plenty of lows in the 30s, so the wood conveyor will be running for a while. 😏

We've been updated to 8-12 inches in Schenectady, 1-2 feet up north.

Status
Not open for further replies.