2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turn off the water to your toile, flush it then plunge most of the water, what’s left will not matter. Your toilet will not freeze but your pipes might.

Our regular outside temp is at minus 17.2 already, it will be a real cold night. We have the pellet stove going early filling the basement with heat.

We re not that cold here, currently 9F with a forecasted low of -11 which is not unheard of for this area but it's been a few years since we saw temps that low. The wind is what really makes me nervous this time - we are supposed to have wind chills of like -40 and I don't think our house envelope has ever been tested under those conditions.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Mount Washington, NH.

Current summit conditions: -41.3 F.

We re not that cold here, currently 9F with a forecasted low of -11 which is not unheard of for this area but it's been a few years since we saw temps that low. The wind is what really makes me nervous this time - we are supposed to have wind chills of like -40 and I don't think our house envelope has ever been tested under those conditions.
Accu has a low of minus 26 for our area with a RealFeel of minus 46, since both the pellet and wood stoves are in the basement, I'll set the furnace at 62 and the pellet stove on the highest setting on medium.

The basement and pipes should be fine.

I'm expecting to be up all night from frost quakes. Last -10s was Valentine's Day weekend 2016, I think. Sounded like someone dropping a bowling ball on the roof all night.

Cold enough to shatter my Stihl plastic wedges like glass? Note end of wedge is still in the kerf.

4C355F73-1608-4630-AFD1-3C8E230B2BA0.jpeg 15CA1672-4B1B-4399-966A-55E5B7389AF3.jpeg

Green Mountain Boys out of Burlington?
There still hasn't been an official statement that I saw saying what it was, but if it was a military plane, it came from Fort Drum.....just glad it was ours.

There still hasn't been an official statement that I saw saying what it was, but if it was a military plane, it came from Fort Drum.....just glad it was ours.
Unlike that Chinese balloon that is floating around over Montana.

I understand that the Green Mountain Boys often train out towards Ft Drum so it is a good likelihood. We see them here occasionally over northern NH in the summer. Awesome show. Got to visit the base during and open house this summer and see them out of the hangars.

Just got back from skiing at Smuggler Notch, The mountain was great Thursday, closed Friday and we decided to leave this morning, very cold up there, but a really nice get away and awesome glade skiing.

38C1ED3C-E9EA-4AC2-A43B-99751899409F.jpeg E289E399-FC78-47AE-9C2D-978FCBCD18A2.jpeg 9CEBEB0D-E622-4AD3-8AE1-A437DFD4D10E.jpeg

Nice! I stayed inside today. A finger broken on Wednesday helped that decision. I have to let it heal at least a week before I do something others will consider stupid, lol.

-1 this morning power out for a few hours. Lots of tree down from wind. Also a 2 1/2 ft diameter tulip fell into a neighbors house overnight. Looks crazy the roof held it up but there is damage!

Make the new one out of wood! I’m pretty sure the plastic one will still fit in the kerf though!
Yep, it still fit in the kerf, until the end broke off a second time farther up. The whole top fell apart, too. Not sure if it was age-related or the cold alone, as that wedge wasn't exactly new, I think it came with my 036 Pro.

On the plus side, I finally finished splitting and stacking the last of about 18 cords I had dragged home in 2020. Also got a freshly felled ash (26" DBH x ~100 ft. tall) bucked into logs, and stacked where the 2020 pile had been, and brought a bunch of ash up from a neighbor's that some tree guys had left there last summer. Ground stayed good and from noon Friday until noon today, when the weight of the tractor started leaving muddy tracks in the grass as the ground re-thawed.

Looking forward to the next cold snap, but the forecast sows highs 44F to 58F everyday for the next week. That's about 20F above our normal, I suspect.

Last edited:
Yeah, sunset nearing 5:30pm now, and twilight is holding until about 6pm. We're heading into that part of the year where the change in sunset time is about 10 minutes per week, so very noticeable.

Yeah, sunset nearing 5:30pm now, and twilight is holding until about 6pm. We're heading into that part of the year where the change in sunset time is about 10 minutes per week, so very noticeable.
Daylight savings time is next month on March 12th.

Daylight savings time is next month on March 12th.
I keep hearing claims that we'll stay on daylight savings permanently, after March 12th. I know this has been proposed many times in recent years, and always voted down. I hope it's not true, as I like living under the illusion that "high noon" is still high noon, not "high 1pm".

Before anyone says "4:20pm", let me ask... will my GMT time zone change, if I'm no longer ever 5 hours off GMT?

I think the entire idea of the time change is silly. We should pick one, either one, and stick with it.

I think the entire idea of the time change is silly. We should pick one, either one, and stick with it.
Agreed with your first statement, I suspect most are at this point. But not either one! It must be standard time, because... it's "standard" time!

Stupid people somehow think they gain an hour on their day in daylight savings time. The only thing that will result from a permanent change to daylight savings is an eventual slide back to the same situation, people like to sleep late, and then stay up late. Ben Franklin wrote many amusing things on this topic, and I'd bet it wasn't a new problem then, either.

Last edited:
It looks like our area might get some pretty good wind gust on Thursday night, anyone else in for high winds?
328928240_1546529835857388_3565380276100611700_n.jpg

I guess the low-60F's we'll be seeing this week are a good example of "extreme weather", as it's extremely unlikely we ever get nearly this warm in February. But it's not exactly "severe weather," in keeping with this thread.

We're gonna have daffodils coming up soon, if this doesn't change! My mower deck has just been sand blasted, I need a good 4 - 5 weeks to get fresh paint on it cured well enough to put back to use, which wouldn't be a problem any normal year. But this year ain't normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.