24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
How many people burn 24/7 like do you burn just couple of times in a day, or Allday and never shut down your wood burning stove..

It depends on the weather. When it's cold enough we'll run it 24/7. It needs to be below 30 for us to do that or we'll roast ourselves out so we go long stretches in Dec-Feb with minimal breaks. Nov/March are more intermittent fires usually one in the morning and one overnight. The heat pump does the rest on mild (45+) days.

24/7 burning is great. I like the regularity of it and always reloading on hot goals is great. Constantly starting over in a cold firebox is such a slog and a waste of time and energy reheating the steel.

It depends on the weather. When it's cold enough we'll run it 24/7. It needs to be below 30 for us to do that or we'll roast ourselves out so we go long stretches in Dec-Feb with minimal breaks. Nov/March are more intermittent fires usually one in the morning and one overnight. The heat pump does the rest on mild (45+) days.

24/7 burning is great. I like the regularity of it and always reloading on hot goals is great. Constantly starting over in a cold firebox is such a slog and a waste of time and energy reheating the steel.
Sounds good. So I don’t have to worry bout my wood burning stove cracking welds if I am burning 24/7 I have a pacific energy.

Definitely not a worry to burn 24/7 if you are staying within normal operating temperatures. If you are used to only doing cold starts and letting it burn out, it will take some time to get into a rhythm of when to reload - adding wood too soon on a hot coal bed can be challenging to reign in if done too early or if you have a lot of draft. If in doubt, just rake the coal’s forward and only add two or three splits tightly together and keep a close eye on things until you can get it turned down to where you want it to cruise at.

The stove is designed to be operated in a certain range of parameters. It is fine to do that continuously. In fact, one could argue that frequent temperature swings from intermittent fires is worse for the stove than a constant hot state.

But PEs are well built and neither should be a problem.

I'm 24/7 in a cold climate, stove is going from late Oct to may..

Reactions: stoveliker
Sounds good. So I don’t have to worry bout my wood burning stove cracking welds if I am burning 24/7 I have a pacific energy.
24/7 operation is not an issue if the stove is run normally and not overfired. Our stove runs 24/7 from about Nov-Feb and part-time other months. Been doing this for the past 14 yrs. However, if the stove is run 24/7 and pushed to the limit with frequent forays into 800º stovetop temp, then the lifespan of other parts like the baffle may be shorter.

No way I could burn 24/7. Our temps just don’t warrant it. During the day, once the sun comes out, things are pretty manageable till about 3-4. Plus I only burn when I’m home. Our total propane bill this winter was $300 for the entire winter. So, even w that schedule I’d say we’re doing pretty decent. I’ve also burnt more wood this year than the last few. And we switched from oil heat to propane.

I have a PE Super LE and have been running it 24/7 for most of winter. In the evening I let the coals burn out as much as possible before igniting a new top-down fire with big round logs at the bottom and small/medium logs or splits on top. That type of fire has been by far the most efficient in my experience, it produces very long burn times. Perfect for keeping the house warm during the night up to early in the morning.

I burn 24/7 every year.. but not all fall spring and winter. My stove is my primary heat, but sometimes it gets warm and the stove goes out for a while. Also the amount of wood will vary that is in the stove, sometimes its an overnight burn followed by a good fire in the morning, turning the air all the way back when the wife goes to work, when I get home it a relight on the existing coals

I run 24/7 until it's above 40 F for 24 hrs or more. Then I use the mini splits.

Burning 24/7 all season (including shoulder seasons) long is hard for any stove, even one that can turn down a lot. The time for intermittent fires is just moved out from the core of winter.

Edit: not hard for (if burning within parameters as noted above), but hard with any stove.

Last edited: