24 gauge single wall through metal roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terp393

Sep 28, 2014
United States
I'm piping my stove in my shop and I was wondering if I can use 24 gauge single wall pipe to go through the metal roof or would I have to use double wall to go through the roof

It seems like common sense that a metal roof wont burn, but it is code what Dak is stating. Heat travels thru metal, etc. So even 24" on center rafters could be in danger, when touching a metal roof.

The other thing you want to keep in mind, you need 18" clearance to single wall stove pipe. You wont get that between the rafters. It may sound like overkill for a shed or garage, but this is one of those "either do it to code or don't do it" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.