25:1?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a couple of years ago when it first showed up here
gas was $4, & i decided i could screw the gas man out of thousands a year if i could get my ford van to run on anyting else.
it's been in california for years.
but just got over to the east coast...
those guys with 1000 hp rabbits are having better luck than with C16 race fuel.
it's been greatly debated & widely understood that it's not actually green to anyting,
considering all the processing to make it.

but it is awesome race fuel !!
it's an alternative fuel, not a replacement for gasoline.
it usually takes up the mid octane spot on the pumps.

it seems that since 1986, govt law has been that all US gasoline has e10 btw.
just some fyi from my experiences.

all fuel system components in any thing after 1986 are e85 friendly.
although without 30% increase in fuel, it wont run.

as far as how bad it eats rubber & the whole thing
not since 86, although i've seen it chew right through a lawnmower fuel line, i dont think was that old.
replace hose & go on.

I just bought my first chainsaw yesterday, an ECHO GS35A with 350mm bar, 33cc and 3.8kg weight (sorry, we work in metric out here).

It should be good for what I need, cutting up small/medium sized logs from time to time. I don't need anything large or expensive. This cost me 31,000yen ($280ish), which is pretty good for Japan.

The maker (Echo) specify that it should have 25:1 gas/oil mix and this ratio is the standard here. One can buy 25:1 ready mixed gas (petrol where I come from) in smallish quantities that make filling up easy and unnecessary to have a metal gas tank/mixing can and seperate gas and oil. This is good for me with my small shed and garden.

070102002004_1.jpg

I suppose the gas and oils are slightly different from country to country. Anyway, I just wanted to post this.

I'll be using the chainsaw, with suitable protection of course, at the weekend on some cut-down cherry trees (free - yippee!).

Cheers, Matthew.

Attachments

• 070102002004_1.jpg
    070102002004_1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 239
Interesting... Looks like the same basic saws that Echo sells here (W/ a 50:1 mix recommendation) except for the Japanese labeling on the side of the top cover...

Two things I can think of that might account for it -

1. My understanding is that Japan doesn't have quite as tight emission standards, especially on small engines, as the US. (I seem to recall hearing that Tokyo's air can get quite thick at times...)

2. As I recall reading about your vehicle mix in various bike magazines, you have a lot of small two-stroke motorcycles running around - probably many of them "legacy" vehicles that were built back in the days when 25:1 was the best ratio that makers could get by with - and it would be difficult to change all the existing infrastructure to support 50:1 without taking those older vehicles into account... (The two stroke street bikes were never all that popular here in the US, and current emissions laws make them all but illegal, except for a few antiques)

Gooserider

Good information Gooserider.

I'll try the 25:1 but keep in mind the emissions.

All the newspaper distribution companies use 'moped' bikes that might very well have 2-stroke engines. I can hear them if I'm up at 4 or 5am (not that often!) delivering the newspapers.

I was going through my father's basement and found a 6 pack of Homelite 16:1 2 cycle fuel. There is an old Homelite chainsaw in the shed.

Matt

40:1 or 50:1 will be fine look for a quality oil for "Air Cooled Engines". Regular gas is better off because it doesn't sit in the tanks as long at the gas station.

Status
Not open for further replies.