25-PDVC on a generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jp57

Apr 4, 2011
Moore Twsp., Pa
So...due to the nasty Nor'easter that blew thru Eastern Pa we've been without power since Friday, which means no heat. Fired up my Champion 6800w (1 year old) generator and attempted to run the 25-PDVC. Stove did NOT like it at all...motors running "slow" or dropping out all together. Not much else running on generator at the time, just the fridge.

So, I shut the stove down and borrowed a buddy's 3000w inverter generator and the stove is MUCH happier and has been running since yesterday. House is back up to being "comfortable".

My question is: is there anything I can do so that the stove works with my generator and not have to chuck it and drop at least another grand (probably MORE) on an inverter generator? Would putting a UPS with pure sinewave output in between the genny and the stove help?

We have a transfer panel that feeds only certain outlets in the house, which the pellet stove is on. It is the only item on that circuit.

Yes, put the stove on a pure sine wave UPS. That will clean the generator power and eliminate the voltage fluctuations that you're stove is seeing.

Does your generator have grounded outlets. A USP will not turn on if there is no ground, they are quite picky. I found out those AC converters that clamp to a car battery are not good for a pellet stove either. Much too noisy.

Reactions: Mt Bob
So...due to the nasty Nor'easter that blew thru Eastern Pa we've been without power since Friday, which means no heat. Fired up my Champion 6800w (1 year old) generator and attempted to run the 25-PDVC. Stove did NOT like it at all...motors running "slow" or dropping out all together. Not much else running on generator at the time, just the fridge.

So, I shut the stove down and borrowed a buddy's 3000w inverter generator and the stove is MUCH happier and has been running since yesterday. House is back up to being "comfortable".

My question is: is there anything I can do so that the stove works with my generator and not have to chuck it and drop at least another grand (probably MORE) on an inverter generator? Would putting a UPS with pure sinewave output in between the genny and the stove help?

We have a transfer panel that feeds only certain outlets in the house, which the pellet stove is on. It is the only item on that circuit.
during this east coast storm, we ran our 7500 watt generac along with TRANFER box that has 10 different circuits
pretty much run the whole house including the pellet stove, oil furnace for hot water, fridge, tv, components, hardwired room outlets including ceiling lights, etc with plenty of wattage to spare..so don't know why your 6800 watter didn't cut it.

Last edited:
during this east coast storm, we ran our 7500 watt generac along with TRANFER box that has 10 different circuits
pretty much run the whole house including the pellet stove, oil furnace for hot water, fridge, tv, components, hardwired whatevers, etc so don't know why your 6800 watter didn't cut it.
Sine wave pattern,or voltage too low or too high.Some circuit boards are very sensitive to improper sine wave,as are PWM motor circuits.Lots of cheep china generators out there,and,lots of low quality control boards in stoves.Dad,(back your way) has a big gen,like yours,for his well,because horses do not do well without water,lots of water.Stay warm.

Reactions: Tonyray
Sine wave pattern,or voltage too low or too high.Some circuit boards are very sensitive to improper sine wave,as are PWM motor circuits.Lots of cheep china generators out there,and,lots of low quality control boards in stoves.Dad,(back your way) has a big gen,like yours,for his well,because horses do not do well without water,lots of water.Stay warm.
understand..
I also have the pellet stove plugged into a voltage spike thing before it gets plugged into the outlet.
also have a picture of my transfer box on another post here today..

Last edited:
You may want to have the output checked on your champion. They did have some complaints on frequency issues. My old coleman powemate 5000 runs my stove, tv, fridge, furnace fan

I'm definitely going to get a pure sine wave UPS to clean up the power, probably this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19W/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Going to wait until power is restored (probably Wednesday according to the power company) before trying mine again. In the meantime, the borrowed 3000w inverter is humming along nicely.

TonyRay...How about them Eagles! Still can't believe they won the freakin' Superbowl!
yep..
you, me and about 10 million fans...

Bought a CyberPower 1325 VA 810 Watts 10 Outlets UPS, Pure Sine Wave UPS with USB Charging Ports GX1325U battery backup from Newegg for my Englander 25-pdv when it was on sale for less than $110 and glad I did.
Our power stayed on but during the brown outs and glitches my stove ran perfectly fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bought a CyberPower 1325 VA 810 Watts 10 Outlets UPS, Pure Sine Wave UPS with USB Charging Ports GX1325U battery backup from Newegg for my Englander 25-pdv when it was on sale for less than $110 and glad I did.
Our power stayed on but during the brown outs and glitches my stove ran perfectly fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's a steal...cheapest I've seen that one is $190 on Amazon.

Check (use a voltmeter) the output on your generator, you might have to adjust the speed which controls the output voltage .

Last edited:
So are you saying that if you have something like the CyberPower 1325...
You can plug it in to a generator... not use a battery... plug it into a non battery outlet,
and it corrects the wave, to run a circuit board safely?

Yes it is an AVR (automatic voltage regulator)