25 ton Yard Machine Log Splitter Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Foothill Man

Feb 6, 2017
California
I need to ask someone about my 15 year old 25 ton Yard Machine Log splitter. I was splitting oak wood pretty great for 1.5 hrs then the splitter wouldn't split anymore. THe cylinder retracts and extends but when it makes contact with the wood, it does not split. Like its lost most of its power. Should I replace the valve or gear pump? THanks

Don't start replacing parts until you know that the issue is.
Get a gauge tapped in between pump and control valve.

Does the engine load down? I am betting shaft coupling, or main relief valve has dirt in it and staying open, or fluid level low and sucking air.

Reactions: Jags and triptester
Possibly the nut on the piston on the Hyd. cyl. rod had loosened up allowing fluid to bypass internally. Check coupling & pressures first.

Greg

Reactions: triptester
Possibly the nut on the piston on the Hyd. cyl. rod had loosened up allowing fluid to bypass internally. Check coupling & pressures first.

Greg
This actually (nut loose) happened to me once.