27 ton Troy built Splitter- Busted ignition.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rushwing19

Dec 3, 2019
?
Looking to replace a part for the ignition on my splitter. The cord wouldn't contract all the way, which I could manage. But later it lost all tension for start up. I took the three screws off hood, and a the metal coil inside immediately became a jumbled mess and I notice a white smallish plastic piece loose on the side. Anyone know what to do to repair? If not, which part I need to buy? On this picture, i think it's either # 84 or 85, both are $$$. Thanks!

It's difficult to tell what is broken, but those rewinds can be very difficult to rewind once they let go like that. I'm guessing you need new starter pawls and a new spring but impossible to tell without a picture.

How old is this engine? 100$ can get you a brand new 5 hp equivalent. Might be worth vs spending 40-60$? On parts.

Its a 2015- It may just have come apart and need to be rangeled. That metal coil is a mess. I'll update with a pic when possible. Thank you!

Its usually part 85. I doubt its 84 the blower housing usually doesnt break but it could have. Might be able to find the part cheaper from another source. Engine could be a Honda GX270 so a search of gx270 recoil might be your part.

Last edited:
If that's a gx honda, they are definitely worth spending some money on. They are about the best small engine ever built. You can buy an aftermarket recoil pretty reasonable. You used to be able too anyways.

MTD usually doesnt make their own engines. The engine reminds me of a Honda or a Honda copy made by a third party. So a Honda part might fit it but no guarantee. Part looks a lot like a GX series starter recoil.

Reactions: duramaxman05