TroyBilt 27 ton splitter Hydro Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sgruver78

Nov 30, 2008
Southern NY
Hi! How is everyone? So I found a TroyBilt 27 ton log splitter for sale and picked it up for really cheap. I did about 2 cords of wood with it and everything was fine until the next morning I noticed some hydro oil dripping on the ground. I am not too familiar with how hydro pumps work but at first I thought maybe it was just a gasket issue but after looking at the parts schematic it doesn't look like there is a gasket where I think the leak is coming from. The leak is coming from above the pump mounts but below that black plate that is mounts to. Do you guys believe it is most likely a bad o-ring inside or do you think there is a gasket that might have loose?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

hydro.jpg

From that location it is most likely the pump shaft seal (not a gasket). These pumps are pretty much a throw away unit. Not really designed for repair. Worst case is a hundred dollar pump replacement and get to splitting. Best case is that it will probably run that way for quite some time. Assuming you don’t mind a few drips on the ground (cardboard is very good at soaking up dripping fluid) and to keep an eye on the level of fluid, I would be inclined to use it till something fails (or gets worse). Just one dudes opinion and hydro juice is fairly cheap.

Reactions: Ashful
Ditto. Input shaft seal. New 16 GPM pumps on eBay are $110 - $140. Easy replacement item.

BTW, I’m assuming your 27-ton unit is 16 GPM, verify before purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags
And verify the shaft diameter for the coupling (visual or serial #?) So you won't have to purchase a new coupling. Might want to chbeck the bushing for cracks also.

There is a chance that your leak my be from the engine because the seal for it is above the pump.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
There is a chance that your leak my be from the engine because the seal for it is above the pump.
That would be a good possibility but the visible fluid appears red.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
There is only one way to know for sure...taste it. I wonder if we can get the OP to give it a lick??

There is only one way to know for sure...taste it.
Reminds me of an old doctors' joke. "What's the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer?"