2nd floor chimney install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bumblebeetuna96

Mar 17, 2018
USA
I'm in the early stages of planning my install. I bought a used Blaze King which is going on the first floor. I plan to use double wall stove pipe up into to second floor bedroom. The second floor will be class A double wall in a chase. The chimney will continue up into the attic and then through the roof. I'm confused about the floor penetrations. The first floor gets a ceiling support box which also converts from stove pipe to chimney pipe. Is the second floor ceiling just a radiation shield or should this also be a ceiling support box. My ceilings are 8'. Also is it worth it to build an insulated chase in the attic or is the class a sufficient for the cooler temps. (New Jersey).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm in the early stages of planning my install. I bought a used Blaze King which is going on the first floor. I plan to use double wall stove pipe up into to second floor bedroom. The second floor will be class A double wall in a chase. The chimney will continue up into the attic and then through the roof. I'm confused about the floor penetrations. The first floor gets a ceiling support box which also converts from stove pipe to chimney pipe. Is the second floor ceiling just a radiation shield or should this also be a ceiling support box. My ceilings are 8'. Also is it worth it to build an insulated chase in the attic or is the class a sufficient for the cooler temps. (New Jersey).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It would not need a support box. What is needed varies by manufacturer. Some need a radiation sheild. Some just an attic insulation sheild. Just follow the directions

Reactions: bumblebeetuna96
I believe a firestop in the second floor ceiling with an insulation shield above it (you need a second floor chase). Rafter radiation shields depend on clearances. Big dimension rafters at 16 centers would need it. 2x4 trusses at 24 centers wouldnt.......I believe.
The instructions would spell it out what you require.