2nd Opinion ; Level 2 inspection Superior Fireplace was dismal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 22, 2018
NJ
Bought a house over the summer. During the course of the house inspection, the inspector mentioned the fireplace panels had to be replaced. (House was built in the 1990s). Inspector said we could have level 2 inspection, but we declined. (Yeah... we should have said go ahead)

Sellers got smart, and picked the cheapest place where they got a low ball quote to replace the panel. This low ball amount was adjusted at the closing as a 'credit'. (We should have gotten our own quote to compare)

Anyway, few months into owning the home I call up a fireplace service company and they state they can get the panel replacements (they weren't even close to the low ball quote) but they require a level 2 inspection to check for major issues before we drop $ on something that may need a bit more work for.

They came out and noticed a few things;

There has been a leak in the chimney and it has rusted the damper, and water has leaked behind the panels also causing rust. They said its not a fixable situation and needs a complete replacement, estimated at $10k to 15k.

However, they mentioned there is a serious curveball. The chimney itself is 8 feet high, not 10 feet high as recommended by superior. When they built the house they didn't build the chimney to the manufacturers recommendations. He speculated it is because the chimney itself is on the side of the house where the 2nd story of the house wasn't built over the garage (the family room with the fireplace shares the same wall as the garage), and another 2 feet would make the chimney appear to be a lighthouse.

Their recommendation was to skip the wood fireplace as its not worth it, and put in a natural gas insert for about 50% of the cost. (Depends a lot on the plumber running the nat gas pipe in the basement to where the fireplace is)

Does this seem legit? I don't want to give up a wood fireplace, but unfortunately I think I am a bit stuck with either having nothing and sealing the chimney or looking into the nat gas insert.

Bought a house over the summer. During the course of the house inspection, the inspector mentioned the fireplace panels had to be replaced. (House was built in the 1990s). Inspector said we could have level 2 inspection, but we declined. (Yeah... we should have said go ahead)

Sellers got smart, and picked the cheapest place where they got a low ball quote to replace the panel. This low ball amount was adjusted at the closing as a 'credit'. (We should have gotten our own quote to compare)

Anyway, few months into owning the home I call up a fireplace service company and they state they can get the panel replacements (they weren't even close to the low ball quote) but they require a level 2 inspection to check for major issues before we drop $ on something that may need a bit more work for.

They came out and noticed a few things;

There has been a leak in the chimney and it has rusted the damper, and water has leaked behind the panels also causing rust. They said its not a fixable situation and needs a complete replacement, estimated at $10k to 15k.

However, they mentioned there is a serious curveball. The chimney itself is 8 feet high, not 10 feet high as recommended by superior. When they built the house they didn't build the chimney to the manufacturers recommendations. He speculated it is because the chimney itself is on the side of the house where the 2nd story of the house wasn't built over the garage (the family room with the fireplace shares the same wall as the garage), and another 2 feet would make the chimney appear to be a lighthouse.

Their recommendation was to skip the wood fireplace as its not worth it, and put in a natural gas insert for about 50% of the cost. (Depends a lot on the plumber running the nat gas pipe in the basement to where the fireplace is)

Does this seem legit? I don't want to give up a wood fireplace, but unfortunately I think I am a bit stuck with either having nothing and sealing the chimney or looking into the nat gas insert.
Check with Superior to see if an insert is an option at all for your fireplace before going any further

Check with Superior to see if an insert is an option at all for your fireplace before going any further
You mean a natural gas fireplace? Can you explain why it would matter as they're ripping out what's already there and putting a direct vent to the outside instead of using the existing chimney?

You mean a natural gas fireplace? Can you explain why it would matter as they're ripping out what's already there and putting a direct vent to the outside instead of using the existing chimney?
You said insert not fireplace so I was assuming they were talking about putting an insert in the existing fireplace

You said insert not fireplace so I was assuming they were talking about putting an insert in the existing fireplace

You are correct, I was referring to that.

But please excuse my ignorance, if superior says it can't be done, what other option is there? I was under the impression that they would be using the existing opening to put the natural gas insert in, and it would be irrelevant as to what was in before as it wouldn't be used.

You are correct, I was referring to that.

But please excuse my ignorance, if superior says it can't be done, what other option is there? I was under the impression that they would be using the existing opening to put the natural gas insert in, and it would be irrelevant as to what was in before as it wouldn't be used.
A complete replacement with a gas or new woodburning fireplace is probably the only option

Would I have to do a superior gas insert with a superior fireplace or are they pretty standard dimensions across the spectrum where I could go with regency?
Chances are you can't put an insert in that fireplace. Most prefabs don't allow inserts. Plus if it's rusted that bad it probably can't safely contain the heat anyway

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If it was me, Id put in another wood stove, and a new Stove pipe flue. Its probably cheaper than what they told you.....wow!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If it was me, Id put in another wood stove, and a new Stove pipe flue. Its probably cheaper than what they told you.....wow!
$15k is not at all out of line for a complete replacement of a prefab fireplace. Especially considering the chase needs extended as well

We wouldn't use it for heat, just some ambiance for the winter months and maybe just to keep the room a little bit warmer.

Is there a contact number or email? Looks like a form filler not for homeowners on there.

They only mentioned contacting a local dealer, but for me, that is over 75 miles away.

Inserts are usually slightly less expensive than fireplaces. Assuming there is a kit you can use to vent through the existing chimney. I have never looked at trying to put an insert in a Superior fireplace, so I'm not sure if there is anything compatible. Flue temps are less of a factor with gas direct vent inserts than with wood burning. Most DV inserts will vent around 8-10K BTUs vs. 40K plus for an open fireplace burning wood. A 4-7 vent pipe normally has a 2" clearance to combustibles, so I wouldn't worry if the local tech says it's okay.
The cost to do a complete rip and replace with a direct vent gas fireplace vs a wood fireplace depends a lot on the cost of the venting. Wood chimney pipe is stainless steel on the inside and is larger than DV gas pipe. DV gas pipe is a 4 or 5" inner diameter, with a 6-8" outer diameter pipe. Much less metal overall and less expensive metal as well. Installation can be easier as well. Sometimes when the existing chimney is difficult to remove in its entirety, it's possible to remove only the 8" center pipe leaving plenty of room for the direct vent pipe.
The termination height for a direct vent is rarely over 2' high, so you avoid the lighthouse effect. The other big advantage to a direct vent in a two-story house with a one-story chimney is that the fireplace won't compete with the taller house for make-up air. If there are smoke stains in the upper corners of the fireplace towards the front, it probably has had trouble competing for air with the taller main structure.