2nd Quote In; help steer me to the right stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

htr2133

Nov 2, 2016
Nashville, TN
Well I got my 2nd opinion inspection and estimates. I've definitely found the company I will be going with in my local area! Their entire approach, attn to detail and communication is better in every way, and they are about 3k cheaper than my first quote (for more services)! The co has recommended a Napoleon S20i for replacing my insert. I'm looking for love or hate feedback from folks on here with experience w Napoleon S-Series inserts please!

I really like the Regency Classic and Cascades line as well as Osburn 1700/2000. Are these on par or slightly better than the Napoleon?

I think I may be able to step up in size and am going to confirm that with the installer. I want the largest firebox I can get; my home is just over 2500 sq ft, split-foyer design. Insert will be downstairs and luckily the other side of the room is the open foyer so I think a slightly larger insert (if it will fit) will heat my home well. The S20i might be slightly undersized. I'm in mid-TN; it doesn't get and stay bitter cold here and the house is fairly well insulated and tight. My insert is supplemental heat only, but I want to use it as much as I can to lower electric heat costs.

Thanks!

Background info

This season at this point, it's what's available for install that counts.

Background info

This season at this point, it's what's available for install that counts.
True, but they are saying late Jan/Feb install at best due to their schedule. So, I think I have time to source a different stove if there are better options. I'm seeing good reviews from PE inserts.

3k cheaper is allot. What are the differences in the quotes? That would concern me a bit

3k cheaper is allot. What are the differences in the quotes? That would concern me a bit
First company quoted 15.5k for lining both chimneys and installing inserts on both levels of the home. I think they recommended that bc they didn't want to mess with all the repairs to keep an open fireplace upstairs in the firebox and smoke chamber. So, to be fair, the quote isn't apples to apples since I would be getting two new inserts and all the necessary exterior chimney repairs.

Co #2, is quoting me 12k. That is lining both chimneys, all the exact same exterior chimney repairs, Napoleon S20i downstairs, keeping open fireplace up stairs. They are also including all the firebox and smoke chamber repairs and a new control-top damper, multi-flue hipped chimney cap and they warranty all workmanship for 5 years so long as I have annual cleaning/inspection.

I cannot convince my wife to go with an insert upstairs in the living room :( She is committed to an open fireplace in that room.

First company quoted 15.5k for lining both chimneys and installing inserts on both levels of the home. I think they recommended that bc they didn't want to mess with all the repairs to keep an open fireplace upstairs in the firebox and smoke chamber. So, to be fair, the quote isn't apples to apples since I would be getting two new inserts and all the necessary exterior chimney repairs.

Co #2, is quoting me 12k. That is lining both chimneys, all the exact same exterior chimney repairs, Napoleon S20i downstairs, keeping open fireplace up stairs. They are also including all the firebox and smoke chamber repairs and a new control-top damper, multi-flue hipped chimney cap and they warranty all workmanship for 5 years so long as I have annual cleaning/inspection.

I cannot convince my wife to go with an insert upstairs in the living room :( She is committed to an open fireplace in that room.
12k is definitely on the low side for all that work. I would question them about all aspects of the project to be sure they aren't cutting corners

Reactions: htr2133