3-39 Condar Probe vs. 3-19 Condar Probe. Test Results.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In conversations with Condar that I had, they claim the longevity of their surface thermometers is very good (decades) but only a few years of average burning for the probe.

Without deterioration of the metal conduction probe itself, the probe is just an external bimetallic strip same as their surface thermometers are. I could never get a straight answer as to why their probes have such a short listed lifespan.

pen

Most of those listed alternatives have a 1000 deg limit and only intermittent over 800.

For Condar, it looks like they sacrificed accuracy just to get a product out there. I think they don't respond well to questions because there is no answer except buy an electronic thermocouple from someone else. They're not going to tell you to do that.

After doing more research I can see it's an engineering challenge to design a low cost bimetallic unit over the range we need.

tfdchief said:
BG, I have both Condors and the SBI. I have only used the original Condor so far. I was going to compare last winter but ran out of time. I also found the SBI would not fit in the hole I drilled for the Condors. It was slightly bigger. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

I have found my Condar probe works a lot better than the condor I first tried using . . . it kept flying away when I tried to get it to roost on the hot stove pipe. ;) :)

Attachments

• condor.jpg
    condor.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 246
Capt Ron said:
tfdchief said:
BeGreen said:
Sounds good chief. I'm finding some other alternatives as I search farther afield. Some may need adapting:
Interesting alternatives. I like the last one.

I do too...how would you adapt it?
That might be the trick and there would be no turning back if you cut a larger hole in the stove pipe.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is as simple as drilling a hole in the double-wall pipe and sticking the probe in, or do I need to seal it and secure it somehow? Is there a magnet on back to hold it in place? I need to get one of these, as I currently have a magnetic mount thermo on my double wall pipe...hehehehe, rookie mistakes...LOL

Just follow the directions on the package, they have a small magnet to hold the probe in place, no need to seal anything.

Drill the holes and stick it in. Be sure that your drill is level since if the holes are not aligned the meter face will point in a weird direction. First, drill through both layers with the small drill bit and then come back with the larger bit to only ream out the first hole.

Scott2373 said:
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is as simple as drilling a hole in the double-wall pipe and sticking the probe in, or do I need to seal it and secure it somehow? Is there a magnet on back to hold it in place? I need to get one of these, as I currently have a magnetic mount thermo on my double wall pipe...hehehehe, rookie mistakes...LOL

As stated . . . pretty simple . . . I mean me . . . a dumb hick firefighter from Maine could do it . . . anyone can. Just need a drill, the two drill different drill bits and 10 minutes . . .

Held on with a small magnet.

Sounds easy enough, thank you! So I guess from reading this forum that Condar is the way to go as far as thermos go, eh?

Get the 3-19 model if you can.

Is there really a difference considering the price point of these cheap thermometers?

Go back and read over this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.