3.62!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cancel the automatic delevery guy who is ripping you off on fuel oil & buy your oil on the spot market.
Every day,in your local paper, oil delevery guys advertise their current way too high prices for oil. You pick the cheapest of them & have him delever. They Used to have a 150 gal min but many will now delever with only 100 gal min.

I only run oil , for just 1 heat up cycle, to get the parts of the house where the heat from the wood stove won't reach , bearable. Sometimes I can manage 2 or 3 days on just wood , then I have to do a 90 min run of the money burner because of the cold storage rooms.

Cold storage rooms are rooms that get too cold on wood heat for anything but storage.
I can't keep ice cream in them , but the do a good job keeping the soda , beer , lettice.veggies & fruits at just the right temps. :lol:

Surely makes that wood pile look mighty fine...

Okay, so here's my question for you folks. HHO is diesel oil #2 right? I know your local pump prices for diesel are probably very similar to 3.62 since the local supermarket listed 3.69 this morning. I buy off-road diesel #2 for my tractor at the fuel depot. It is always at least 40 cents cheaper than on-road diesel to account for the lack of road taxes.

I know folks that use HHO for their tractors because it should be cheaper than off road diesel and they often have a huge tank of it for their furnace so they just add a fill pump to their HHO tank. Both of these fuels are dyed red so don't burn them in your pickup truck.

Is it cheaper to buy off road diesel fuel to fill your HHO tank? I buy off road diesel at the fuel depot and just fill 55 gallon barrels in the bed of my truck.

Heating oil futures hit $2.99 today. add the middle man and the oil delivery company, it is going to be close to $4.00. Here in the capital city of Va, heating oil cost the same as on road diesel. I am stocking up on wood and hope to get my wood stove delivered the next few months.

Experts are saying that run-up is probably mostly speculation. Market(s) are crashing and people all over the world are buying into oil and metals as a "safe haven". That runs the price up for no good reason. Also, heating oil season is almost over. I would suggest that no one lock in at any current price. Although it is a guess, I think one will be able to find $3 heating oil (or less) before the season.

Webmaster said:
Experts are saying that run-up is probably mostly speculation. Market(s) are crashing and people all over the world are buying into oil and metals as a "safe haven". That runs the price up for no good reason. Also, heating oil season is almost over. I would suggest that no one lock in at any current price. Although it is a guess, I think one will be able to find $3 heating oil (or less) before the season.

Yep, Fear Factor. In the Ash Can months ago I projected $76 a barrel oil by the first week in March. The fundamentals support it but since it is a traded commodity now BS more than supply dictate price on the market. That and the contraction of the dollar. And a bunch of that is speculation driven.

Heck even OPEC agrees that supply and inventories support a mid-seventies to mid-eighties barrel price right now.

$3.55 Friday.
$3.45 if I get a check to them this week (prompt pay discount)

Highbeam said:
Okay, so here's my question for you folks. HHO is diesel oil #2 right? I know your local pump prices for diesel are probably very similar to 3.62 since the local supermarket listed 3.69 this morning. I buy off-road diesel #2 for my tractor at the fuel depot. It is always at least 40 cents cheaper than on-road diesel to account for the lack of road taxes.

I know folks that use HHO for their tractors because it should be cheaper than off road diesel and they often have a huge tank of it for their furnace so they just add a fill pump to their HHO tank. Both of these fuels are dyed red so don't burn them in your pickup truck.

Is it cheaper to buy off road diesel fuel to fill your HHO tank? I buy off road diesel at the fuel depot and just fill 55 gallon barrels in the bed of my truck.

I work at a large southern NH tractor dealer. We have a special fuel filter we saved from someone who ran their Kubota tractor on HHO. It works, but does gum things up eventually. I don't understand the specifics of the situation, but the gentleman had a sizable bill for a tractor that was fairly new.

It is my belief that those connected with the pricing of oil and related products will pay for their sins. I am doing my part at work by purchasing bio diesel blends for our trucks. Now at home I will be burning wood. It'll be fun!!

Ha, Money Pit!

It is my firm belief that those connected with oil and gas will live happily ever after!

While driving this week I heard an interview with a professor of theology at UNC who spent years studying whether bad things happen to bad people and good things happen to good ones. Guess what? Another fallacy! Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people.

Besides, no one is doing anything with oil that they are not doing with corn, milk, spinach, steel, copper, cement, pork bellies or thousands of other commodities. There is really not a better system that I know of for allocation of these commodities than the eBay (pits) we use now.

My ire goes out to two parties......US, as a whole, for going right along with the "bigger hummer and house, please" morality and our government for not placing long term plans into play that would help us develop alternatives and more conservation/efficiency.

In the grand scheme of things, cheap oil itself may be the biggest sin because it makes ALL of us pollute vastly more. So the universe works in mysterious ways. Maybe Exxon is helping the greater good by raising the price of oil......well, if nothing else they are helping Brother Barts bank account, and that counts for something!

All I know is that the rental company "upgraded" me to a Durango.....reminds me of why I hate SUVs! Terrible handling, can't fit easily into tight spots or roads and I have to stop at $50 because I just can't bear to put more gas in....but that only fills it 3/4!

The price of fuel has made it possible for alternative fuels to be developed and brought into the main stream. I am proud of the fact that we use bio diesel in our fleet of trucks. We are supporting American farmers while greatly reducing emmitions. I agree the price of energy has created great opportunity for many and has pushed me into something I have wanted to do for a long time; burn wood.

How is that boidiesel working out for you? I have heard of a few problems with some engines, but most people i know (mostly the HD pickup crowd) are scared to even try it. Then again, it is almost impossible to buy around here.

When I took the spawn to Disneyworld last November, I noted that some of the Mouse's fleet was marked for "experimental" fuel. I chatted up one of the drivers (they're so friendly) who confirmed that it was biodiesel and that they had mixed success. He did note that the entire fleet of trams was running 100% biodiesel and doing very well.

How many people have tried biodiesel and what is your story (price, mileage, problems, etc.)? At $4 a gallon for dino oil, I sure hope someone is at least trying it!

Webmaster said:
Maybe Exxon is helping the greater good by raising the price of oil......well, if nothing else they are helping Brother Barts bank account, and that counts for something!

I wish. Even the big X's stock price is cratering. Go figure.

The CEO of Exxon even says that there is no logical reason for oil prices to be this high except for the fear factor speculators. Gotta remember, they make more from cooking crude than actually owning it. Not that refining margins aren't really high right now.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Paid $4.05 for diesel(on road) today. HOLY SCHNICKEYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$4.25 for highway diesel here today. Only one store in my town sells it, their competition closed this winter. Talk about having you by the b***s.

Those fuel oil prices, along with being totally independent, is the reason I bought a wood stove.
About 6 weeks ago it was $3.30, I think I'll call them in the morning and get a good laugh.
I always paid in full at the time of delivery and got a discount. That discount doesn't mean so much when your talking about $1000 to fill up.

As far as the price of oil is concerned, it is strictly a commodities deal. There is no supply problem, there is 3 times the crude and refined products available now then there was this time last year. As far as bio diesel is concerned, oil has had an effect here to. We are all led to believe that fuel economy will be reduced, less power and filter clogging issues will occur. Guess what, none of that happened to us. As a matter of fact the trucks love it.

Christ, I wish oil was that cheap here!.....Actually, I don't care because I don't heat with it anyway. :p
Having gasoline below $4 a gallon would be nice, though...:coolsmile:

i run b 100 in my f-250 and so far so good. my only recomendation is to buy professionally made stuff. I can buy pro grade diesel for 3.50 a gallon. that price is locked in. I have been buying since the first of the year. milage has suffered a bit, but my engine runs much quieter and my filter changes, once the gunk is gone, will be at greater intervals. most importantly, pollution is GREATLY reduced. no smoke out the tailpipe, ever! take that, prius.

Good for you and everyone around you. I run a blend {B-20} and had no effect on power. We realized a slight increase in fuel economy on our trucks. Not only is the cost of ULSD high, the fuel is crap and is no good for the engines. The bio diesel does good things for the engines and great things for the environment. Keep up the good work!!

Long Island NY 03-13-08 paid 3.99.9 used only 64.5 since 01-30-08 four people two of which are teenagers, burner used to heat domestic hot water. P.S. Daughter takes 30 min showers. Even at 3.99 a gallon not worth the argument.

Jimbob said:
Christ, I wish oil was that cheap here!.....Actually, I don't care because I don't heat with it anyway. :p
Having gasoline below $4 a gallon would be nice, though...:coolsmile:

Jimbob, at over $4.oo gal for gasoline, I was wondering if you guys drive the same gas guzzlers that we are stuck with here in the states or are you able to buy cars that get reaaly good gas milage, like 69 to 87 mpg, such as the european small desial cars.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

IE: audi a2- 1.2 L- TDI @ 65 mpg city, 87 highway

Smart for two, european model desial, CDI ,60 city,75 highway
American market import of smart 4 two is 70 hp 3 cyl gasoline @33 city & 40 highway

Is this a conspericy to make usa pay more for bad gas milage???
What up with this crap??????

Peugeot 107 Urban,1.4L desial,HDI 54/
Citroen CI- HDI-55SX ,desial,
both cars get 44 city & 69 highway

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Do canadians have access to highly fuel efficient cars like europeans do. Best we get in USA is honda civic 27 city & 38 highway

I dont count toyota presius hybred because dead battery replacement is a killer, costs what car saved on gas over 8 yrs for new set of batteries every 8 yrs or sooner.

here's a great site to compair oil prices

http://www.newenglandoil.com/

i will use the local guy who installed my furnace - he's only a couple cents more than the cheapest guy BUT he's in town and if something goes wrong i know he'll be here 24/7.

year to date i've used 250 gallons - small insert, and oil for hot water - good news is that it's 1/2 of what i used last year

Status
Not open for further replies.