3 clinkers a day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I am removing atleast 3 good size clinkers a day ( 5:30 am, 4 pm, and 10pm) Is it my pellets or the stove?

chrisasst said:
I am removing atleast 3 good size clinkers a day ( 5:30 am, 4 pm, and 10pm) Is it my pellets or the stove?
I get the same thing from too much fiber...

chrisasst said:

You really need to inform us on "What brand of pellets your burning".

I really hope it isn't those Dry Creeks you where talking about getting!

jtakeman said:
chrisasst said:

You really need to inform us on "What brand of pellets your burning".

I really hope it isn't those Dry Creeks you where talking about getting!

Right now I am burning starlight and some nights starlight/energex mix...

chrisasst said:
Right now I am burning starlight and some nights starlight/energex mix...

Chris, do you have any other pellets available locally to try a few bags of?

I have lignetics sitting for the heavy cold months...other pellets I have found = dry creek (never tried before), Maines (never tried), instant heat (tired 2 years ago), PA pellets(tried 2 years ago).

IT seems the colder it gets, the more clinkers I get.

chrisasst said:
I have lignetics sitting for the heavy cold months...other pellets I have found = dry creek (never tried before).

Try burning a bag of each of the Ligs & Dry creek and see if you still get the clinkers....that'll tell you if it's the pellets or the stove.....I'm betting pellets.

Can some one post a picture of a clinker so that I can see what you are talking about . I a green horn . I am still on my second bag .There doesn't seem to bee any dust in these pellets ,I don't know about clinkers ,I don't think so but not sure what they are ,hardly any ashes .

I used to think a clinker was the hard black carbon stuck to the bottom of my Harman burn pot. You have to practically chisel it off sometimes.
But I think that a clinker is actually a hardened ash mass (something like a cowpie) that kinda floats on top of the fire and doesn`t get blown off and eventually smothers or impedes he flame.
If I`m wrong , someone correct me please.

Gio said:
I used to think a clinker was the hard black carbon stuck to the bottom of my Harman burn pot. You have to practically chisel it off sometimes.
But I think that a clinker is actually a hardened ash mass (something like a cowpie) that kinda floats on top of the fire and doesn`t get blown off and eventually smothers or impedes he flame.
If I`m wrong , someone correct me please.

I think the same. I haven't had a clinker since I increased the intake air enough to get the pellets dancing.
Mike -

Excell said:
Can some one post a picture of a clinker so that I can see what you are talking about . I a green horn . I am still on my second bag .There doesn't seem to bee any dust in these pellets ,I don't know about clinkers ,I don't think so but not sure what they are ,hardly any ashes .

....here's one compliments of Jay........ cc :cheese:

Attachments

• Clinker.jpg
    Clinker.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 432
Dr_Drum said:
I haven't had a clinker since I increased the intake air enough to get the pellets dancing.
Mike -

I found the same thing when I had my Astoria....never had clinker problems after that.

CanadaClinker said:
Excell said:

Thank you I think I had one of those yesterday .I will pay more attention now . I think I put my fire place tools away to quickly I may still need one or two of them .

I might be wrong, But from what I gather. A clinker is formed when the salt content is high. PFI refers to it as chloride content. Ash and carbon will stick together with the salt(chloride).

The black hard deposits are scale. Heavy mineral deposits. Carbon and Iron naturally acure in the wood fiber. Some wood species has more than others, and Same goes for the chloride content.

I just shut down my stove and cleaned it out .There was a bit of crusty stuff but it just crumbled when it hit the pail .I don't think it was a clinker . I burned a bag and a half and there was a bout a cup full of ash . I am really liking this so far .

CanadaClinker said:
Excell said:

cc I have copy rights to that there photo(and clinker).

I will have to charge $.25 for use without authorization!

JK- :cheese:

That's one wimpy clinker Jay.

I wouldn't waste time trying to pursue a copyright infringement suit, the judge just might laugh you out of court because you didn't throw that undersized one back.

After all there are minimum length limits ;) .

SmokeyTheBear said:

I wouldn't waste time trying to pursue a copyright infringement suit, the judge just might laugh you out of court because you didn't throw that undersized one back.

See Jay.... Smoky seems to indicate that 'size does matter'...... anyway I apologize and your 2 bits is in the mail.... if you don't get it in a little while, keep waiting...... :lol:

CanadaClinker said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

See Jay.... Smoky seems to indicate that 'size does matter'...... anyway I apologize and your 2 bits is in the mail.... if you don't get it in a little while, keep waiting...... :lol:

You 2 got a bigger one? Lets see it!

Least I got one to show and tell even. :p

I got a tip for ya, Go to any BigY and get you some inferno's. Thats about the only thing they produce worth tar! No heat to speak of, Have to max out the stove for any useful heat. Then you get a few of these maybe!

cc I am sure I'll turn blue before I see a nickle. But thats fine. Least they know what a clinker is now! :lol:

jtakeman said:
CanadaClinker said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

I got a tip for ya, Go to any BigY and get you some inferno's. Thats about the only thing they produce worth tar! No heat to speak of, Have to max out the stove for any useful heat. Then you get a few of these maybe!

cc I am sure I'll turn blue before I see a nickle. But thats fine. Least they know what a clinker is now! :lol:

Don't know how this will turn out but anyhow here goes.

This is from a July 2008 batch of Maine Woods. I haven't seen anymore since that batch I'm currently burning a late January 2009 or so batch.

Attachments

• IM000590xxwp.jpg
    IM000590xxwp.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 205
SmokeyTheBear said:
jtakeman said:
CanadaClinker said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Don't know how this turn out but anyhow here goes.

NOW THAT'S A CLINCKER. I don't even want to know what brand of pellets that's from. Uggg. :sick:

Jay,

I updated the post to let you know what was burning that produced that clinker. It filled my burn pot and part of it is missing because it broke when I removed it.

Now you know why folks were a bit upset last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.