3 Point Log Splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO there is nothing wrong with advertising engine hp so long as PTO HP is also listed. Hell, way back when, tractors were advertised with three ratings! Gross, Belt and Drawbar!

FWIW: Kubota has been caught “rounding up†their HP numbers before. Not egregiously but still…. Comparison was made with two machines on two separate, calibrated PTO dynos. Kubota was at about 42.7 HP (45 advertised) and the Deere it was running against was making 47+ (also advertised 45HP) . There is/was video of the test somewhere on the internet at some point but I haven’t seen it around for awhile. I was lucky enough to witness the test in person! (Test was aprox. 5 years ago IIRC)
Beyound marketing engine hp #s mean nothing. Its not even on the Nebraska test. The 2 numbers that have always been used are pto and drawbar. I realize most compacts and utilities didn't get the test but the whole reason for the Nebraska test was so mfgs couldn't make bogus claims. For sh*ts and giggles I looked up my 5400 vs the m5040. The specs on the M5040 says PTO 45 (claimed) and on the JD 5400 it says 60 (claimed) 62.56 (tested). I'm not comparing tractors I'm only pointing out a tractor that has been tested and referred to as such is the real deal. Throwing out what may be a paper number on engine hp doesn't inform the buyer as to what the tractor is really capable of when called upon to do work.

SolarAndWood said:
Are you guys suggesting that the OP needs to have his tractor dyno tested before he tries to use it to split wood?
This thread has been seriously derailed and no, no one is suggesting anything of the such. You would have to have followed it closely to see how we got here. Surprised the mods haven't shut it down yet.

My dad GAVE me his 3 pt splitter that goes on the back of my IH 574 tractor. It rans off the rear remote. Closed center hydraulics. I never use it. Takes too long to hook it up and burns way more fuel that a huskee pull behind. I've considered converting it to go on my JD333 to split monster trunk pieces.

I'd advise against running the 3 pt on the Vickers vane pump. Blew my vickers up on my Oliver 550, about 700 bucks for a new one. I would suggest going the PTO route if you are deadset on a tractor 3 pt splitter.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.