3 Years of Solar PV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Three full years of solar PV are in the bank. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

At the end of October 2013 an array rated at 6.9kW was installed, and in early April 2015 an array rated at 5.4kW was added. The graph adjusts the production totals for 2014 and 2015 as though the full 12.3kW system was installed initially. In (...) are the actual kWh production amounts for 2014 and 2015.

The actual total production for 2014-16 was 37,737 kWh, which had a value of $5,425 under MN net metering, and which represents simple ROI of a little under 5%. If the same system was installed new today, the cost of the system would be about 2/3 of the cost incurred when installed, which would increase the simple ROI to about 8%. The simple ROI does not include any costs for maintenance/repair/replacement of the system or components. After 3 years and 2 months of operation, these potential costs have been $0. The only failure was one of 46 microinverters, which was replaced without cost under warranty. I also proactively purchased two additional micros to have on hand for immediate replacement should there be future failures.

For a full discussion of my system, see
Solar System

Attachments

• 2014-16.pdf
    45.2 KB · Views: 269