30 gal. Superstore leaking is 80 gal too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VtRv

Jun 3, 2008
Morrisville, Vt
I've started noticing that my 30 gallon Superstore is leaking slightly. A few times a week I will see that the floor is wet in one spot and there is water around the bottom of the insulation band.

I found a used but much newer 80 gallon Superstore that I can pick up very reasonably. Is 80 gallons to big for my 2500 SF house with 4 bathrooms. What are the advantages and disadvantages to going bigger if the price is right?

The only downside to having a larger DHW tank (other than initial cost) is that it will have marginally higher standby loss due to larger surface area. Put an insulation jacket around it and be happy. That should be more than offset by the benefit of being able to go for days on a single DHW charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.