30-NC... tips for removing pedestal & adding legs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to cut the legs shorter on mine. I have a 29" vertical clearing on my fireplace . What is the most I can take off of these legs? Is it shipped with the pedestal attached? I would like the ash pan to sit about a 1/2 off the bottom of my hearth
What is the clearance from bottom of front legs to the ash pan?
Also can someone confirm that from the front lip of stove to the top 6" exit is 20.25 inches?

might have an issue with the ash pan that low, the air intake in the back I believe extends lower than the ash pan bracket by more than that , im going to be playing around in my shop tomorrow as its gonna be way to cold to play golf , I plan to play with fire anyway so I can get out a ruler and get your measurements right off a raw stove

do me a favor copy your post on the questions you have and PM it to me that way I can have a reminder on my phone ( I have my preferences set so I get an e mail when I get PM's) to check those things out while im at my shop tomorrow, i'll get the measurements and post them tomorrow evening when I get back online at home

I need to cut the legs shorter on mine. I have a 29" vertical clearing on my fireplace . What is the most I can take off of these legs? Is it shipped with the pedestal attached? I would like the ash pan to sit about a 1/2 off the bottom of my hearth
What is the clearance from bottom of front legs to the ash pan?
Also can someone confirm that from the front lip of stove to the top 6" exit is 20.25 inches?

I cut mine so that the ash pan is about half an inch off the hearth. It didn't hurt anything as far as the stove operating properly.

If I remember correctly I cut mine so that it was 26 and 1/2 inches from the bottom of the legs to the top of the flu collar. I'll measure it tomorrow if you want.

Reactions: tjcole50
I cut mine so that the ash pan is about half an inch off the hearth. It didn't hurt anything as far as the stove operating properly.

If I remember correctly I cut mine so that it was 26 and 1/2 inches from the bottom of the legs to the top of the flu collar. I'll measure it tomorrow if you want.
Sounds good thankyou. Lemme know exactly your leg length for that 1/2 inch clearance from ash pan to hearth. I'm aiming for 4-5 " gap from top of stove to the opening of my fp if you could see what measurement is from front lip to the exit on top of stove! Thanks for your help

did that put your intake box in the back on the ground? or is it still up off the floor back there ? im trying to visualize it through about 6 beers and it aint working, was planning on getting him some measurements tomorrow when I go play in my lab but if you measure and post em it would work as well (im going to anyway)

Sounds good thankyou. Lemme know exactly your leg length for that 1/2 inch clearance from ash pan to hearth. I'm aiming for 4-5 " gap from top of stove to the opening of my fp if you could see what measurement is from front lip to the exit on top of stove! Thanks for your help

Here is the thread with a few pics where I chopped off the legs. I'm assumming your going to be sitting it either completely or inside your fireplace.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/there-is-a-new-nc30-sitting-in-my-garage.119845/

did that put your intake box in the back on the ground? or is it still up off the floor back there ? im trying to visualize it through about 6 beers and it aint working, was planning on getting him some measurements tomorrow when I go play in my lab but if you measure and post em it would work as well (im going to anyway)

It's pretty close. It sits right where the ash clean out is conveniently enough. I fed my blower cord down it into the basement. It seems to pull cool air up it as well.

It's pretty close. It sits right where the ash clean out is conveniently enough. I fed my blower cord down it into the basement. It seems to pull cool air up it as well.

ok, makes sense, strikes me when ive had to pull a pedestal to weld something under there the stove sat "nose down" a bit when it was sitting down with nothing bolted under it

Thankyou for pics that's the look I want! Prob cut my legs exactly like yours once u give me measurements. Out of curiosity do you stack the nc30 full for overnight ? Going to be a new experience for me with this stove compared to my old beater

I usually only load it twice a day. Once at 7am and once at 7pm ish. I load it full both times.

During this latest cold snap I threw a couple splits in the early afternoon to keep it's temps up a little more to fight off the cold.

Here are some pictures I took today. Mine is 26 inches from the bottom of the legs to the top of the flu collar. Left me about an inch and 1/2 to squeeze it in there. Once it was in it was fine. Had 3 inches clearance on the front lip.

Attachments

• 20140105_115326.jpg
    20140105_115326.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 20140105_115337.jpg
    20140105_115337.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 20140105_115429.jpg
    20140105_115429.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 20140105_115441.jpg
    20140105_115441.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 327
  • 20140105_115403.jpg
    20140105_115403.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Here are some pictures I took today. Mine is 26 inches from the bottom of the legs to the top of the flu collar. Left me about an inch and 1/2 to squeeze it in there. Once it was in it was fine. Had 3 inches clearance on the front lip.
Thankyou very much for pics will give a good visual when I'm off work. I keep checking my email hoping the stove has arrived at destination:(

we origionally offered the 13 and 30 in either a P or L or G model, p was pedestal (shipped as it does today) L was "leg" model , but they didn't ship well on the legs( lots of freight damage as they didn't stay opn the pallet in shipping well unless absolutely perfectly positioned and handled with a lot of care the weight on points like the legs resulted in broken pallet boards and tipped over stoves. so we used a pedestal riser (pedestal without a base welded to it) which was supposed to be removed before adding legs this confused a lot of customers (who didn't read the instructions) and we were burning up half the cost of the pedestal anyway so we just went to building them all on the pedestal and tossing the legs intro the firebox.

also the stoves cannot be mounted in a mobile home on legs legally

Of course! Didn't even think about all the jars and jolts during the shipping process...not to mention the "care" of the handlers upon destination...

I must have swapped between the longer legs and the shorter legs about 4 times trying to get a good fit. !!!

I ordered the shorter legs from englander

Status
Not open for further replies.