30 year old stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Outside on the roof the pipe is stainless steel but inside the stove pipe is just a pretty heavy black single wall pipe that was installed about 30 years ago. Aside from changing the elbow a time or two and some of the lustre of the paint burned off it is still working just fine, I clean it every couple of years and have no issues with it, I guess if it isn't rusting through and leaking it is fine. I give it a shot of stove polish every year and off we go. Anyone else have pipe this old or older?

Some heavy duty stove pipe will stand up for a good long time if not overheated.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Outside on the roof the pipe is stainless steel but inside the stove pipe is just a pretty heavy black single wall pipe that was installed about 30 years ago. Aside from changing the elbow a time or two and some of the lustre of the paint burned off it is still working just fine, I clean it every couple of years and have no issues with it, I guess if it isn't rusting through and leaking it is fine. I give it a shot of stove polish every year and off we go. Anyone else have pipe this old or older?
Yep. Still in fine shape and heavier than the newer stuff I looked at to replace it. Tiny bit of surface rust when I took it down to clean it last month, but rock solid. It was really hard to drill holes in it.

I've seen a lot of such stove pipe on oil and gas furnaces. As long as it's not rusted through or on the edge of being rusted through ----so you can stick your fingers through it, I wouldn't personally recommend changing it out.

The single wall stove pipe for my house is thirty years old and in good condition as you've described yours.

You are also doing the right thing by inspecting it from time to time to check for holes and deterioration. I've also seen my share of stove pipe that was not inspected and had developed substantial holes in it. Even so, I can't recall seeing holes that were actually allowing combustion gasses into the dwelling ---- the negative pressure stoves and furnaces are under offers substantial protection from that. Holes result in dwelling air getting into the pipe and going up the chimney ---perhaps impairing the draft, but not preventing the appliance from drafting. Of course at some point that would change.

Pretty remarkable, really.

My experience is with furnaces though. I'm sure our wood stove Xperts will contribute their own comments as may be needed.