$300 spent-now it`s mix and match time!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
This is my next 2 years supply of red cedar to mix with the douglas fir and alder.

:) And the kindling supply goes on forever and ever..

Attachments

• big screen 014.jpg
    big screen 014.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 751
Nice pile! Will look even nicer after its stacked in perfect rows. Enjoy the next two years of comfort.

I occasionally get some alder too. I don't really like it because it smells funky and takes forever to dry. It seems to burn ok when its dry, just a bit stinky.

Alder, our NW red alder, is a fantastic wood. Maybe you are thinking of poplar or cottonwood? Those guys are a little stinkier. I would be happy to burn nothing but red alder for years and years. Doug fir is also good but makes very little ash so burn times are shorter than with the alder.

Is that red cedar load from a shakemill? I burned a cord and a half of red cedar cordwood this year and it wasn't ideal all by itself.

Highbeam: Like the topic title says-"mix and match".. 50-50 mix with the fir and alder keeps the fire nice and hot and really cuts down on the creosote. It is from a remanufacturing plant. Mostly 2 by`s. Decent thickness.

Alder does burn nice and produces lots of ash. It is the only wood that I can smell as soon as I walk in the door. Like the way it burns,but not overly fond of the aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.