30NC Hearth Pad Stressing me out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpz

Sep 14, 2006
Syracuse, New York
I'm having a local company do my corner install, however i just realized the hearth pad I bought with the install is only r-1.18. How do I make up the .32? (manual requires r-1.5).

I though of buying metal 2x4's and laying them flat in the same outline as the pad, figuring 1" dead air is r=.97. or should the outline be done with 1" over hang of the pad? I've never worked with the metal 2x4's how do you attach them keeping the side against the floor and the top flat i.e. no screw heads?

The pad is going over laminate wood flooring which is over concrete.

Would it be easier to build the pedestal with the 2x4's not laying down especially if I'll tile it. I'm freaking out because i only have two days to get this done.

How well glued down is the laminate flooring or is it a floating floor? Can you cut out the laminate flooring in the exact area of the hearth so that the pad sits on the concrete? Then you would only need to glue on a little trim edge to cover the cutmarks.

Likely not what you're looking for, but if it were me, and this was to be a permanent install, I'd probably take a circular saw set to the proper depth, cut through the laminate wood flooring, take the hearth area down to concrete, and lay down tile, using DuoRock to raise the height of the tile as needed.

Funny, that was my first idea. The wife was not terribly thrilled. But after somebody else suggests it she's fine with it. It is a floating floor with foam vapor barrier/sound barrier underneath it.

I have a rough idea where the pad is going to sit but don't want to cut until the installer is sure where the pad is going to be. Hopefully he'll be patient enough for that.

I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind raising the stove a little bit unless its really going to be a pain in the a$$!

I'm doing the EXACT same thing with the same stove. 2 layers of Durock with tile on cement with laminate floor surrounding. I have a question about the chimney pipe that I'll post in a new thread though. Don't want to hijack yours. :)

No sweat!

I'm really leaning towards cutting the floor and maybe just cutting the corner out now with enough room to jockey around the pad as needed and piecing the floor back together later. See how the night pans out and how many beers it takes for me to really want to cut apart the floor!!

In case it's helpful, I have tile flush with the surrounding floor. Here's a pic. Just replace my crappy carpet with your nice wood.

Attachments

• PA270013.jpg
    PA270013.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 346
Excellent! Looks good!

I'm going to do a cardboard cut out of the stove dimension and figure where my clearances are then tape down the hearth pad dimensions around it and see what becomes of it. I'm thinking I might be able to pull the trim out and possibly remove the sections of laminate in the corner and then cut and replace as needed. Trying to think it through, probably less messy if i just cut the outline of the pad once its here.

Attachments

• hearth corner.jpg
    hearth corner.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 347
If this is a stock pad, you may be able to find the exact dimensions online. If it's a Yoder, I have one I can measure. Do you know the brand and model you are getting?

It's an American Panel Hearth 54C.

With the 15" clearance of the stove from corner to wall and the 18" clearance needed for the front I think the pad needs to be moved a couple inches out from the wall. That is factoring in that the trim is actually 1.5" deep. Is the trim really a factor in determining clearances? The other issue is there is a window, and I need to make up for the clearance to the blind. The window is going to get smaller with more wall space but not until after the install. Actually not until the spring!

The pad is 54" on the "wings" and then 69" from the corner to the front of the pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.