3200ft Ranch... basement or living room placement? Attach to existing ducts? or no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ducky

Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So I have 2 fireplaces... one on top of the other... 3 flues.

2 for each fireplace, and one for my oil furnace...

my basement is large, open, and semi finished, but not insulated from what I can tell.

the top 2' of the basement is exposed.. however the brickwork, goes atlest 1' below ground... (brick house) so the cinderblock walls are insulated with brick for the 2' that basement extends above ground level... if that makes sense... on the inside, its 1x6's for 3', to a ledge then bring on the inside, with a 2" gap...

so standing in the basement, one wall is solid brick with a 2" gap to the block.. the over 3 walls is 1x6's 3" long, a ledge, like a fireplace mantel, and then below that is more brick..

aside from that there is no insulation in the basement.

but theres a fireplace next to the furnace about 3' away.

I could put the pellet stove there, and then tie it into the existing ductwork...

However fire codes may have a serious say in this...

thoughts?

Pellet stoves are space heaters. They do have pellet furnaces and boilers. What exactly are you wanting to heat? 2 inserts will probably heat the majority of the home but they don’t connect to existing plenums.