357xp? Is anyone running one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wkpoor said:
MasterMech said:
Dill said:
Can you run a 3/8 chain on a 346 ? I like only having 1 chain size for all the saws.

If you're talking about running full size 3/8" chain on the 346XP it will take away from the saw a bit IMO. The super high revs of the 346XP + more cutters per loop in .325 chain is what makes it such a light-sabre to begin with. Going 3/8 (not low-pro/picco) will introduce a much larger cutter profile, slowing the saw, and there will be slightly fewer cutters per loop. Assuming your rakers are set to the same depth, 70 cutters cutting .030" (just an example) each will cut deeper each revolution than 60 cutters taking the same .030" each. Difference will be a wider kerf, taking more wood which lowers RPM's, compounding the slow-down.

Why 1 chain pitch across multiple saws? It only reduces the number of file sizes you need to have on hand. Your chains won't be interchangeable anyways unless your bar lengths are the same and even then it can be 1, 2, or even 4+ links difference across brands/mounts. I can handle bringing 2 or 3 files in the woods as opposed to 1 but babying a saw all day that has too much chain on it is just aggravating and counter-productive.
I have a Dan Henry Power Ported 346 and let me tell ya it wears a 16" full comp chisel chain and pulls it will authority. Unbelievable power from that little saw. Dan gets 40% over stock out of them. The last rounds I timed it cut 11" cherry in 4secs. SMOKIN HOT!!!

I can appreciate the 346XP for what it is. Stock or modified like yours. Problem is with the RPM levels used to achieve those cut times, the saw just won't last as long as it should. Average was 18 months or less in a Tree Services truck(my own experience) or a few years in the serious homeowners hands. That's for stock saws. We used to re-jug 346's up through 372's regularly. Far more often than Stihl and we we're selling Stihl over Husky 10 to 1. (At least!) And there were plenty of tree guys with an old 044/046 kicking around their trucks too! Not to mention the MS200T was universally used as the "bucket saw". I don't remember selling a single 338XPT.

Not trying to start the next Stihl vs. Husky debate here. (so please don't tell me "I love my Husky xxx/XP/Rancher etc." I know and I love 'em too, just not as much as you! ;-) )But my point is with all that performance comes consequences. Other saws may win the race "in the pits" but if your only racing 1/4 miles then I'd saddle up a Husky.

MasterMech said:
wkpoor said:
MasterMech said:
Dill said:
Can you run a 3/8 chain on a 346 ? I like only having 1 chain size for all the saws.

If you're talking about running full size 3/8" chain on the 346XP it will take away from the saw a bit IMO. The super high revs of the 346XP + more cutters per loop in .325 chain is what makes it such a light-sabre to begin with. Going 3/8 (not low-pro/picco) will introduce a much larger cutter profile, slowing the saw, and there will be slightly fewer cutters per loop. Assuming your rakers are set to the same depth, 70 cutters cutting .030" (just an example) each will cut deeper each revolution than 60 cutters taking the same .030" each. Difference will be a wider kerf, taking more wood which lowers RPM's, compounding the slow-down.

Why 1 chain pitch across multiple saws? It only reduces the number of file sizes you need to have on hand. Your chains won't be interchangeable anyways unless your bar lengths are the same and even then it can be 1, 2, or even 4+ links difference across brands/mounts. I can handle bringing 2 or 3 files in the woods as opposed to 1 but babying a saw all day that has too much chain on it is just aggravating and counter-productive.
I have a Dan Henry Power Ported 346 and let me tell ya it wears a 16" full comp chisel chain and pulls it will authority. Unbelievable power from that little saw. Dan gets 40% over stock out of them. The last rounds I timed it cut 11" cherry in 4secs. SMOKIN HOT!!!

I can appreciate the 346XP for what it is. Stock or modified like yours. Problem is with the RPM levels used to achieve those cut times, the saw just won't last as long as it should. Average was 18 months or less in a Tree Services truck(my own experience) or a few years in the serious homeowners hands. That's for stock saws. We used to re-jug 346's up through 372's regularly. Far more often than Stihl and we we're selling Stihl over Husky 10 to 1. (At least!) And there were plenty of tree guys with an old 044/046 kicking around their trucks too! Not to mention the MS200T was universally used as the "bucket saw". I don't remember selling a single 338XPT.

Not trying to start the next Stihl vs. Husky debate here. (so please don't tell me "I love my Husky xxx/XP/Rancher etc." I know and I love 'em too, just not as much as you! ;-) )But my point is with all that performance comes consequences. Other saws may win the race "in the pits" but if your only racing 1/4 miles then I'd saddle up a Husky.
For what I have in this saw if it lives a short life I'll be happy. But I do baby it a little in that I won't run it in the summer. The performance is so amazing its a thrill to operate for firewood or race. I have a buddy with a piped 346 and yes he cuts some firewwod with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.