4" T inserted 'inside' Stove 4" Flue Collar (no adapter)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
Would there ever be a reason to do this? Or is it ALWAYS proper to install an Appliance Adapter to the stove then into the T?

Thanks.

I have my stove collar running directly into a 'T'.

As a matter of fact, I bought my vent pipe (Simpson Duravent) from a Lopi dealer. He helped me configure my vent setup. He was the one that says he does many installs directly into a 'T' because he gets a better fit and seal.

codebum said:
I have my stove collar running directly into a 'T'.

As a matter of fact, I bought my vent pipe (Simpson Duravent) from a Lopi dealer. He helped me configure my vent setup. He was the one that says he does many installs directly into a 'T' because he gets a better fit and seal.

codebum,

Mine is backwards from yours, the 'T' runs inside the stove collar. Here's a crude sketch.

Attachments

• Leyden_Vent.jpg
    Leyden_Vent.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 225
Ahhh, I see what you are saying. Usually you want it the other way around because of the direction of flow of the exhaust. With the 'T' inside the collar, it would be easier for the exhaust to escape out over the 'T'.

As long as you have it sealed well, then it would work. Do you have to adhear to any building codes or inspections though?

Even with my 'T' on the outside of the stove collar, I still had leaks anyway. The leak was at the factory joint of the 'T'. I had to silicon all joints of the 'T' as well as the connection ends.

Thanks for your reply, I emailed the dealer about my concern on this install and I'll wait and see what he says. If they won't fix because they feel it's ok, then I'll most likely do it myself the right way and use a Pelletvent Pro adapter(4PVP-ADB) on the stove to a new PelletPro double-walled T (4PVP-TB).

I'll just have to make sure that the top (male) end of the T can fit inside the Flex Vent that I have (Forever Flex); I'll rewrap that with aluminum tape just the way it is now.

Stoves running real noisy too, I need to get that fixed.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.