40 ton County line Splitter from TSC....owner feedback??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
I am looking at this -40 TON COUNTY LINE SPLITTER FROM TSC-. The 25GPM pump and 9.5 cycle time has me intrigued. Problem is, I have a 10 year old 28 ton Speeco which has over 200 hours on it which has served me very well and has nothing wrong with it. In fact I would pretty much be "upgrading" simply for the faster cycle time. Also thinking I could get something out of my Speeco while I can vs "running it into the ground" to the point where I can't get much back out of it. If I sell, hoping to get $800 out of my Speeco.

The County Line 40 ton definitely passes the eye test, and LOOKS to be well made, problem is, County Line brand splitters are Chinese crap. I am not sold on the long term quality and that's why I'm looking for some feedback. I've read lots of good stuff but also some horror stories. I think, just like a lot of Chinese stuff, it's a hit and miss. The last thing I want is to sell my Speeco and end up having issues with this County Line and regretting the decision. The County Line has a Kohler engine, but those are probably Chinese now. I'm also guessing the ram and hydraulics are all Chinese too. This leads to the availability of parts...? My gut is telling me to run as far and fast as I can from them, but the $1,800 (on sale) price point for a powerful, 25GPM, 9.5 sec, 40 ton splitter has me very interested. GRRRRRR!
So, any more feedback on these County Line splitters, especially the 40 ton model would be great.
:D

I have worked with both, and the Speeco is higher quality. Not to be critical, but the Kohler isn't the motor it used to be either. Unless your Speeco is giving you issues, I don't think you're going to see much of a speed improvement in the real world. My buddy had a yellow County Line 25 ton with the Kohler and it was a noisy, shaky rattler of a unit, and he bent the foot pad within the first month on a knotty hunk of oak. He sold it a year later and bought a Speeco and is glad he did.

Hard to beat that Speeco...

I bought a Countyline 30 ton model this summer. I've only used it a couple hrs, but really like it. I did have an issue with the hydraulic pump leaking (bought it that way actually) but the warranty claim was super easy.
I too eyeballed the 40 ton. Faster speed, taller wedge, and much heavier build makes it appear to be a real beast. It is Chinese made, but better designed than most of the box store splitters.
Around here any used splitter that works sells for at least 600-800. It would be a fairly cheap upgrade if that's what you want.

My buddy told me he would buy my Speeco for $1000, if I can get it to him....which is not a problem. I paid $1,250 new (plus $175 to get it shipped from Iowa) for it 10 years ago.

I've only used it a couple hrs, but really like it. I did have an issue with the hydraulic pump leaking (bought it that way actually) but the warranty claim was super easy.

What was the process like?

What was the process like?
[/QUOTE]
A couple short emails basically. I described the problem and inquired if the pump was under warranty. They asked for the serial number and a shipping address. That was it except for returning the defective pump using the label they supplied. I was surprised they did not ask for a copy of the receipt.
They gave me the option of having the pump installed at a tsc service center or doing it myself. I did it myself.
The company headquarters is in California I think. Communication was not an issue.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Honestly..... looks like a POS

Actually, compared to most I've seen at the big box stores, it's the complete opposite, that's why I am struggling. LOL It -looks- just as well built as my Speeco. I LOVE the I beam type of splitters, like my Speeco and like the CL. The beam has a built in "craddle" which keeps the log centered and from rolling off. I'm sure for the guys used to using the high dollar commerical splitters, they probably wouldn't like any cosumer grade splitter.

Which leads to the question......why aren't there any sub 10 second professional hydraulic splitters? I couldn't find any anyway.

I dont like how low the hydraulic push rod from the cylinder is mounted to the knife, most splitters its even, this one is low, I would suspect over time the beam (underneath it) will get chewed up pretty good, even if its greased. I don't like how the wedge is mounted to the rail either, looks like another failure point, between debris getting in there and wear / tare I would think eventually the channel will start to bulge out and the wedge will pop up.

Last edited:
I dont like how low the hydraulic push rod from the cylinder is mounted to the knife, most splitters its even, this one is low, I would suspect over time the beam (underneath it) will get chewed up pretty good, even if its greased. I don't like how the wedge is mounted to the rail either, looks like another failure point, between debris getting in there and wear / tare I would think eventually the channel will start to bulge out and the wedge will pop up.

I know what you are saying and they are all valid points. However, my Speeco has the exact same setup and I haven't had any issues with it. Those were actually my concerns when buying the one I have. Wood does get "crammed" in the extreme corners by the foot plate, but I clean it out frequently. I can see where in a commercial application this type of wedge/rail setup would not be recommended. Like I mentioned above though, I like the built-in "cradle" these types of beam splitters have.

I have the 30 ton and it has been a really good splitter as far as build quality and durability. It has a Honda engine on it which has given no trouble in 4 years of use. The only thing I don’t like is it is awkwardly heavy compared to other splitters I have used. If the 40 ton is built out of heavier material than the 30, you had best have some help.

I have the 30 ton and it has been a really good splitter as far as build quality and durability. It has a Honda engine on it which has given no trouble in 4 years of use. The only thing I don’t like is it is awkwardly heavy compared to other splitters I have used. If the 40 ton is built out of heavier material than the 30, you had best have some help.

Are you sure it's the CL brand? All the ones I've ever seen had the Kohler motors on them. They look like Honda clones though...Chonda's. The one on the 40 ton looks a lot like the GX390 on my power washer.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's the CL brand? All the ones I've ever seen had the Kohler motors on them. They look like Honda clones though...Chonda's. The one on the 40 ton looks a lot like the GX390 on my power washer.
Yes I am sure it is a county line, it is a 28 ton not a 30. I miss stated it as a 30 earlier. I am also sure that it has a Honda not a kohler motor on it. It is a GC not a GX Honda motor. Same one that was on it the day I picked it up at tractor supply.

All what I can say is I have the 40 ton. It replaced the yellow 25 ton due to some big twisted trunks I get sometimes. The 25 ton used to bogged down with those trunks. The 40 ton goes through them like nothing. It is heavy duty. Always, there is something better in everything. It is the nature of life.
I have no issues with it and I keep it back there by the stables with no cover, cold, hot and every time I pull the rope it starts and give good performance. I get here some 4ft and more cottonwood trunks and with all kind of twist, so some russian olive that are twisted as hell. Is for free, no point of being picky. It split everything till now without a sweet. For me it is a good product.

Reactions: sloeffle
Yes I am sure it is a county line, it is a 28 ton not a 30. I miss stated it as a 30 earlier. I am also sure that it has a Honda not a kohler motor on it. It is a GC not a GX Honda motor. Same one that was on it the day I picked it up at tractor supply.

OK, you have the older CL, back when it was a Speeco.

OK, you have the older CL, back when it was a Speeco.

I’m not up to speed on current production log splitters. I do know mine is built heavy as crap. People on the forum seem to be impressed by speeco splitters so I guess that’s good for me. Are the splitters at TSC these days sub standard or of lesser quality?

Reactions: JRHAWK9
People on the forum seem to be impressed by speeco splitters so I guess that’s good for me. Are the splitters at TSC these days sub standard or of lesser quality?

This is the million dollar question and why I posted this thread. I have a Speeco and it's been great. Speeco is/was a US made product with presumably American steel and American welding. They no longer build splitters and is probably why TSC had to find another source for theirs. The newer TSC County Line splitters are made by YTL International for TSC. When I talked to the guy at YTL, he said TSC approached them to build a splitter to the specs they wanted. It was like "build-a-bear" but instead "build-a-splitter". So the ones found at TSC are made specifically for them to their specs. The issue I am having is they are "made in China". He said the pump is German and the control valve is from India. I know the Kohler motor is made in China, but pretty much ALL (except for maybe Honda GX) small engines are at least assembled there now.

YTL also builds the Performance Built brand for Lowes, but they don't look as beefy or have the same specs. They use a lower grade B&S engine comparted to the commercial Kohler Command Pro found on the higher tonnage ones for TSC. They also build Lumber Jack, Yard Commander and Country Pro products.

I see that those Champion splitters are also mainly made in China too. I guess it's the world we live in today.

Reactions: sloeffle
I have a 37T Forest King, which is a YTL. It's good even though it's big box. However it weighs 649 pounds and I have to use a trailer dolly to move it. Check the weight on the 40T.

I have a 37T Forest King, which is a YTL. It's good even though it's big box. However it weighs 649 pounds and I have to use a trailer dolly to move it. Check the weight on the 40T.

It's heavy, but heavy is a good thing to me. LOL Means lots of steel. It's 781lbs. My current 28 ton Speeco is ~650lbs. I use an ATV to haul it to and from my wood pile, so weight is not that big of deal to me.

What's the lead time on one of these? Would like to place an order...

He'll mail it to you one piece at a time, and it wouldn't cost you a dime....

Reactions: Gearhead660
Not to hijack your thread, but what happened to Speeco then? I had not heard that story. I noticed several years ago that TSC stopped selling Huskee labeled Speeco's but didn't know they were no longer making their own splitters. Can you fill me in?