40 ton County line Splitter from TSC....owner feedback??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not to hijack your thread, but what happened to Speeco then? I had not heard that story. I noticed several years ago that TSC stopped selling Huskee labeled Speeco's but didn't know they were no longer making their own splitters. Can you fill me in?

I want to know as well. They still have a website and show models, but can't find them for sale anywhere I have looked.

Here's mine: http://www.speeco.com/products.aspx?id=95&id2=511

They also build Power Pro, which show as discontinued: https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/SpeeCo-401628RH-Log-Splitter/p8691.html

Sadly these days you have to buy some items that come from China there just isn’t a choice. I refuse to buy anything made in China if there is another option.
Made in USA...and fast! !!!

Reactions: Gearhead660
Made in USA...and fast! !!!
right off the bat i see some marketing hype. unless they are running 3/4" or larger lines and ports no way they can get a full in/ out cycle in 4.5 sec. with a 12.5 gal pump Unless they are running double the more less standard pressures for splitters. ( note a lot of the brands base units use 11 gpm pumps with 1/2' lines maxing pout at apx 2500 psi) now if that is one way that makes it a 9 sec in/out which is about 2 sec. faster than a lot. ) speed is an issue of how fast you can fill / empty the cylinder at a specific pressure. Hi volume low pressure is generally around 600-900psi on most units at rated pump out put, when it flips to high pressure the volume moved is mostly cut in 1/2 or more. Typically 3-4 gpm for a 11 gpm pump. An auto cycle valve ( apx $350) can save a bit of time on a full cycle. Nice to see a US made/ assembled unit ( no mention of parts sources though. There is another firm in Harford WI that makes splitters and processors as well as Ram splitters out of IL. Likely there are others all over the states just not aware of them.

Sadly these days you have to buy some items that come from China there just isn’t a choice. I refuse to buy anything made in China if there is another option.

I hear ya. If I were to guess, Speeco quit making them because of the influx of all the Chinese stuff and they could no longer compete with them. Seems like most of the splitters being sold in big box stores today are Chinese stuff and even if it is "assembled" in the US, more than likely, at the least, the motor on it is made in China. Champion splitters are Chinese. Heck, one can't even buy a walk behind snowblower anymore which does not have a Chinese built motor.....even if it is a Briggs. My 2014 Ariens Pro 32 has a 420cc Briggs, which is made in China.

right off the bat i see some marketing hype. unless they are running 3/4" or larger lines and ports no way they can get a full in/ out cycle in 4.5 sec. with a 12.5 gal pump Unless they are running double the more less standard pressures for splitters. ( note a lot of the brands base units use 11 gpm pumps with 1/2' lines maxing pout at apx 2500 psi) now if that is one way that makes it a 9 sec in/out which is about 2 sec. faster than a lot. ) speed is an issue of how fast you can fill / empty the cylinder at a specific pressure. Hi volume low pressure is generally around 600-900psi on most units at rated pump out put, when it flips to high pressure the volume moved is mostly cut in 1/2 or more. Typically 3-4 gpm for a 11 gpm pump. An auto cycle valve ( apx $350) can save a bit of time on a full cycle. Nice to see a US made/ assembled unit ( no mention of parts sources though. There is another firm in Harford WI that makes splitters and processors as well as Ram splitters out of IL. Likely there are others all over the states just not aware of them.

I got 4.37 seconds....and he was splitting a log during that run.

Reactions: gastone21
unless they are running 3/4" or larger lines and ports no way they can get a full in/ out cycle in 4.5 sec. with a 12.5 gal pump
Pretty ballsy to make that claim on a made in USA semi commercial unit if you can't back it up. And if you look at the lines...oversized for sure.
BTW, I timed the cycles on the video at 4.25 seconds...

That's a sweet splitter. Couldn't find the price anywhere. Probably on purpose. Unfortunately it specifically states made for already split type wood. A kindling maker if you will. Most of us buy a splitter for the large knotty pieces that isn't worth trying to split with an axe and wedges. ......
As far as the splitters like speeco and every other name badge they slapped on them to sell at different hardware type stores, they quit making them. I was at lowes the other day and they had 2 speeco splitters out back that came in for service like returns. I asked to purchase one, but they said they couldn't. They were donating them. Thought that was odd. Not even able to sell a returned unit at full price.

I am looking at this -40 TON COUNTY LINE SPLITTER FROM TSC-. The 25GPM pump and 9.5 cycle time has me intrigued. Problem is, I have a 10 year old 28 ton Speeco which has over 200 hours on it which has served me very well and has nothing wrong with it. In fact I would pretty much be "upgrading" simply for the faster cycle time. Also thinking I could get something out of my Speeco while I can vs "running it into the ground" to the point where I can't get much back out of it. If I sell, hoping to get $800 out of my Speeco.

The County Line 40 ton definitely passes the eye test, and LOOKS to be well made, problem is, County Line brand splitters are Chinese crap. I am not sold on the long term quality and that's why I'm looking for some feedback. I've read lots of good stuff but also some horror stories. I think, just like a lot of Chinese stuff, it's a hit and miss. The last thing I want is to sell my Speeco and end up having issues with this County Line and regretting the decision. The County Line has a Kohler engine, but those are probably Chinese now. I'm also guessing the ram and hydraulics are all Chinese too. This leads to the availability of parts...? My gut is telling me to run as far and fast as I can from them, but the $1,800 (on sale) price point for a powerful, 25GPM, 9.5 sec, 40 ton splitter has me very interested. GRRRRRR!
So, any more feedback on these County Line splitters, especially the 40 ton model would be great.
:D
Sorry, I just saw this thread now. I have the 40 ton County Line and love it. I've had it now for over a year and it has been nothing but a joy to use. That Kohler engine starts right up every time on a single pull, even in frigid weather. It goes through large knotty pieces of wood without any signs of struggle. I also love that it is heavy. When I looked at it next to smaller models, they looked like toys by comparison. In actual use, it is really solid. I love how I can drop huge logs onto and it doesn't shake or move in the least. Based on my experience with it, I highly recommend it.

Reactions: lsucet and JRHAWK9
Sorry, I just saw this thread now. I have the 40 ton County Line and love it. I've had it now for over a year and it has been nothing but a joy to use. That Kohler engine starts right up every time on a single pull, even in frigid weather. It goes through large knotty pieces of wood without any signs of struggle. I also love that it is heavy. When I looked at it next to smaller models, they looked like toys by comparison. In actual use, it is really solid. I love how I can drop huge logs onto and it doesn't shake or move in the least. Based on my experience with it, I highly recommend it.

I did pick one up. I won't be using it till closer to spring though.

Anybody have any luck getting wheel bearing seals for the 40 ton? It don’t appear YTL use wheel bearing grease and the seals are custom. Thanks.

Anybody have any luck getting wheel bearing seals for the 40 ton? It don’t appear YTL use wheel bearing grease and the seals are custom. Thanks.

I can't help ya there. Have you tried calling TSC?

Maybe I should go grease mine! LOL I just tow it around the yard, but I still would like to have greased wheel bearings.

from the parts area of the owners manual:

1647121198255.png

1647121235355.png

I can't help ya there. Have you tried calling TSC?

Maybe I should go grease mine! LOL I just tow it around the yard, but I still would like to have greased wheel bearings.
They direct you to YTL and I will need to work harder to try and get parts. It’s a horrible run around. Almost sounds like they don’t stock parts in the USA. I purchased the splitter and pulled the 40 ton 120 miles. Tires had spider web cracks new and had a flat tire so I decided I would try to find some better tires not worried about warranty. Find bearings brand QYDB so order Timkens. Then the axle shaft at the grease seal measures 1.170 and the common grease is for a 1.250 shaft. Ordered a pair of Martin wheels for backup set and appears the the grease cap and grease seals are about .010 difference so wouldn’t fit right to reuse. Then the tire shop was scared of the bias ply tires and put tubes in so that had to reworked also.

from the parts area of the owners manual:

View attachment 293461

View attachment 293462
If you need something quickly you may have to buy the whole wheel assembly. Then you get mounted wheel and tire, bearings and seals. And their seal even appears it isn’t sized correctly. Back of wheels were covered in the engine oil or whatever they had on the bearings. Crazy part is all the would have needed to do is leave the shaft 1.250 instead of 1.170 for your common wheel seal to work. Think it was $130 per wheel assembly plus shipping.